The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 4, 2018, 08:53 AM   #1
FoghornLeghorn

How many times to reload 44 mag case?

I load my 44 mag cases to velocities just under the velocities of 44 Special. My favorite load has always been 7 grains Unique and a 240 grain SWC bullet.

After firing a cylinder full of the above, the cases slide out without even having to use the ejector.

Do such cases last indefinitely? Some of them I've had for years.
Old September 4, 2018, 09:24 AM   #2
Ben Dover

With light target loads, I've loaded .38 special cases 40 or more times.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old September 4, 2018, 10:36 AM   #3
mikld

Your light loaded brass will last at least 20 reloads (the first defect will be mouth cracks/splits from crimping/sizing). I have loaded 44 Magnum brass since '88 and used loads of 123 gr balls over a dusting of Bullseye up to 300 gr RNFPoil drums over max. loads of WC820. I normally don't count number of times reloaded but there are some I still reload that were purchased as factory ammo in '88, so mebbe 20 times (?). I have some Federal nickel plated cases I keep separate for heavy loads (265 gr, RBFP to nearly 1,100+ fps) that have 11 reloadings so far and look brand new..
Old September 4, 2018, 01:10 PM   #4
rclark

Quote:
Your light loaded brass will last at least 20 reloads (the first defect will be mouth cracks/splits from crimping/sizing).
For the most part, true. One or two out of a hundred will probably go before 20 reloads. Just keep on the look out for the mouth cracks/splits (they'll be obvious!) . I've loaded some cases way beyond 20 with no problems.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old September 4, 2018, 01:23 PM   #5
tango1niner

I've never kept track but a lot depends on the bell and crimp. Do both with moderation and you can use the brass for a long time.
Old September 4, 2018, 02:00 PM   #6
mikld

While I haven't tried it, some have reported they anneal the case mouths of their revolver brass to lengthen the life/lessen case mouth splits. (It'll prolly work, but most brass is easy to come by and 20 reloadings is common).
Old September 4, 2018, 03:16 PM   #7
gwpercle

With low pressure loads like your's they will last for years.
I have a batch 38 special cases , used for target wadcutter loads only , some must be 20 years old now.
I load them until a crack develops , either in the mouth or running down the side.
I could get more life out of them by annealing but after 20 years ...why bother.

They may not last "indifinititly" but they will last a decade or two....maybe even three !

Gary
Old September 5, 2018, 08:01 AM   #8
unclejack37

The best thing to do is inspect the brass before you reload it. If there's a problem you'll see it. If you think it doesn't look right or it looks funny throw it out. You want it to go bang at the range not boom.
Old September 6, 2018, 09:35 AM   #9
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Over time all yellow brass will work harden and eventually crack with the use of normal reloading practices.

Little to no crimp applied and no resizing will indeed lengthen a yellow brass usefulness. Especially so with Tinker Bell /target charges and lead projectiles. Once fire formed to chamber such brass promotes this: You and your brass will grow old together when shot out of the same firearm time after time.
Old September 6, 2018, 12:07 PM   #10
Ben Dover

I usually get 6-8 loads out of 9MM brass loading it to +P+ pressure.

Old September 6, 2018, 12:35 PM   #11
T. O'Heir

7 grains of Unique is the Max .44 Mag load for a cast 240 grain bullet. Velocity was tested by Alliant with a 7.5" barrel at 899 FPS.
6.3 grains of Unique is Max for the .44 Special and the same bullet. Screaming along at 820 FPS out of a 5.5" barrel. Book velocities really don't matter.
In any case, case life is entirely dependent on the load used. Your Mag cases will probably last for eons. Or until the case mouths crack due to normal work hardening. Said work hardening coming from repeated crimping. If you are crimping.
Old September 6, 2018, 02:12 PM   #12
reynolds357

Until they split
Old September 6, 2018, 02:32 PM   #13
Chainsaw.

The lips will split. When they do I trim em down to 44 special and get tons more use. You sound be able to get decades out of them.
Old September 6, 2018, 03:47 PM   #14
TailGator

Quote:
In any case, case life is entirely dependent on the load used. Your Mag cases will probably last for eons. Or until the case mouths crack due to normal work hardening. Said work hardening coming from repeated crimping. If you are crimping.
For the sake of later readers, I feel compelled to point out that the two parts that I italicized contradict each other. The load is not the only factor. Working brass can eventually lead to failure, and even it is not entirely dependent on the crimp. Belling and taper crimp still works the case mouth a little, albeit less than a roll crimp.
Old September 6, 2018, 06:43 PM   #15
dahermit

Not overworking the brass with excessive belling and crimping is the key. If you fire them as lots (same number of firing and reloading cycles) when a case mouth split is detected, annealing that lot will keep the rest from splitting. Your cases, with the load you describe will than last indefinitely.
Old September 6, 2018, 06:52 PM   #16
Ben Dover

As cheap as brass is, even new brass, annealing isn't worth the effort or the propane.

I only anneal cases formed from other calibres.

Old September 6, 2018, 07:39 PM   #17
pete2

They'll last quite a few shots even with magnum loads. Prolly last for ever with 7 gr Unique.
Old September 7, 2018, 04:37 PM   #18
dahermit

Quote:
As cheap as brass is, even new brass, annealing isn't worth the effort or the propane.
New .44 magnum brass is cheap?! Maybe for you it is.
Old September 7, 2018, 04:43 PM   #19
Ben Dover

.44 magnum from Starline. 18 cents each for brand new. Cheap compared to the cost of propane to anneal. and if you value your time even at minimum wage, they're really cheap.

Old September 7, 2018, 07:12 PM   #20
dahermit

Quote:
44 magnum from Starline. 18 cents each for brand new. Cheap compared to the cost of propane to anneal. and if you value your time even at minimum wage, they're really cheap.
Hold mouth of .44 Magnum case in melted lead in the casting pot. Drop case in water when too hot to handle. No propane involved, just electricity. $18.00 per 100 cases PLUS SHIPPING.
Old September 16, 2018, 07:14 PM   #21
KEYBEAR

I load a lot of 44 Mag 240gr. lead bullets all with Unique . Lyman calls for a stating load of 10gr. Unique and Max load of 11.7gr again Unique . 7gr. is a hot 44 Special load .
Old September 24, 2018, 12:45 AM   #22
458winshooter

Brass reloading

I am just the opposite I load my 44 spl loads to the max load data, l've loaded my brass eight times before getting any splits I don't anneal my brass, but do trim and full length resize every time. I've culled less than 10% so far.