The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 6, 2018, 06:50 PM   #26
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Here you are. The magnets came from Lowes, 6 for $3 if I remeber correctly. Just glue them to the bottom of the catcher and when the ram raises it will pull the catcher tight against the ram. Guess you could do a couple on the sides also if you really wantto be sure but these two seem to do the job
I like that. Very simple. But should be very effective.

When I reached for the magnet to try ... 10(?) years ago ... I wanted to avoid having the primer catch rubbing/dragging on the ram. Having a background in helicopter maintenance, I'm really anal about chaffing, rubbing, galling, dragging, etc. So, even when it doesn't really matter, I still avoid it.
Putting the magnet in the tray accomplished that, and is still somewhat adjustable for stand-off from the ram, so I never had to go further.

I think your solution is the better option for nearly every other RC IV owner.

---

ninosdemente,

I printed one of the left-exit versions of the primer catch I linked in my last post. (Well, three, actually, but the first two were early failures. I was shooting from the hip and needed a couple sighting shots, so to speak.)

It was definitely designed for SLA printing, not FDM, but I managed to get my support settings good enough for easy release. Even so, it's a well designed part. The fit is good, and the dimensions good enough that any deviation on my machine can be attributed to the tolerances of my printer and my press.
(Edit: I just rechecked the thingiverse listing. The original part was printed in metal on a Formiga P 110, which is an SLS [selective laser sintering] machine that starts at $175,000. )

There's a small booger on the round 'chute' portion for some reason, but it would be easy to trim off. It really doesn't show in the photos. (Sorry. Black part. Crappy lighting. And a cell phone camera that always screws up light balance [which can't be overridden].) Looks like a G-code issue to me, not a printer error or bad settings.

The catcher holds itself in place well with a light friction-fit. Adding the prescribed 6mm magnets would probably negate any need to secure it further - such as with rubber bands, as I mentioned previously.

I think I like it. I'll track down some tubing next time I'm at a hardware store, and see if this will become a permanent fixture. The exit chute external diameter is .580-.590".

What's better for you? Left or right exit?
I've got a right exit on the printer right now. (4h15m print time)

If you want a really nice, smooth, high quality print, order one.
If you don't mind what you see here, send me a PM.

I love, and hate, how flash photography brings out details like surface rust that you can never see with the naked eye. I didn't know my ram was rusty!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Primertray1.jpg (141.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg Primertray2.jpg (138.5 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg Primertray3.jpg (138.7 KB, 81 views)
Old September 6, 2018, 08:09 PM   #27
ninosdemente

Nice! No worries on the pictures... I cleaned mine a bit when I took pictures of it. Lol. The set up looks nice.

The right seems the better option for me. Looks are the least of the worries... Just as long as it functions.

Very expensive machine.
Old September 10, 2018, 09:44 AM   #28
hounddawg

Just a quick update

Deprimed 100 .223 and 25 .260 cartridges yesterday on my Rockchucker Supreme with 100% going into the catcher using the magnet trick. Looks like the Lee is back to range loading sessions only
Old September 11, 2018, 10:16 PM   #29
ninosdemente

Hounddawg, good it worked out for you. I know it can be annoying at least for me as well when most didn't fall where they were suppose to.
Old September 13, 2018, 09:37 PM   #30
ninosdemente

Update:

Thanks to FrankenMauser now I don't have to worry about primers on the floor or emptying the tray constantly .

http://www.mentegraphics.com/pictures/85.jpg
http://www.mentegraphics.com/pictures/86.jpg
http://www.mentegraphics.com/pictures/87.jpg
http://www.mentegraphics.com/pictures/88.jpg
http://www.mentegraphics.com/pictures/89.jpg

I have not fully tested it...but was able to find some primers on the floor and works great. A few minor adjustments to the tub for the primer to slide down to the container and voila!

Tubing was found at Menards. Had difficulties with the magnets. So I tried without the magnets and so far holding.