The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 4, 2018, 06:27 PM   #26
RC20

Also has little to nothing to do with reloading
Old September 4, 2018, 06:27 PM   #27
unclejack37

Wow, great response for Do you reload your own defensive bullets. I never considered the lawyer aspect of the question. Mostly because I'm not sure it has a part in the equation. Whatever a layer says about my defensive reloads the same argument can be made for the store brand. There's some real hot loads out there and some junk. So I don't see a winnable argument either way.
As far as switching between 147 gr and 95 gr bullets I never noticed a difference. I run the same bullets for about 6 months then shoot them up at the range just to make sure they work in either one of my 9's. Then I replace them for another 6 months. I'm stuck on jury duty for the next 2 weeks but I'll try some target practice with the 2 to see if one shoots higher or lower than the other.
Old September 4, 2018, 08:54 PM   #28
Tom-R2

I used my own reloads during an on-duty shooting where my assailant died. Our state BCI inventoried my remaining rounds in my pistol, and test-fired a couple of them for their report. This was 1984, and I was within department regulations and policy at the time. It was a non-issue at the grand jury and at the federal civil trial, which both returned decisions in my favor. That was one specific case. I've heard of one or two that went the other way. You have to decide what you want to do. Do as little or as much research you need to do to make your decision. Since 1984, I have sometimes carried factory and sometimes carried my handloads. Personally, I think your placement of fired rounds and the circumstances that caused them to be fired will be the most important questions. You can always get a hot rod prosecutor who will do whatever they can to put you in jail, that's politics of the specific area. You can also have a prosecutor who thinks you did a good, legal job. Hope you never have to find out.