The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 3, 2018, 03:01 PM   #1
308Loader

cleaning dust from media

Does anyone have a good way of cleaning dust from your walnut/corncob tumbling media? New sand blast / tumbling media seems to contain a lot of dusty material. Normally I run the vibe outside with an open top. Winter is coming and I don't want this residue inside my house. Can it be washed out or am I stuck with buying a new setup with steel pins.
Old September 3, 2018, 03:06 PM   #2
egd

Used dryer sheets work pretty good.
Old September 3, 2018, 03:11 PM   #3
Steve in PA

Liquid case polish. Used dryer sheets also works.
Old September 3, 2018, 04:03 PM   #4
wild willy

Cut paper shop towel in 1 1/2 or 2 “ squares dampen well with mineral spirits.Replace when they get dirty.If you don’t have shop towels use cleaning patches. I think it works better than used dryer sheets also seems to help with the cleaning of your brass.
Old September 3, 2018, 04:50 PM   #5
Ben Dover

I like to run them outside with the top open for several hours.

The last few years, I have been using a rotary tumbler with warm soapy water and Lemi-Shine for most cleaning.

I still use the vibrator for cleaning lube off of bottleneck cases.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old September 3, 2018, 06:54 PM   #6
Grey_Lion

find an old cotton towel - cut a 6 to 7 inch square out of it - punch a hole into the middle of the square - then put it under your media below the corncob or walnut. What it will do is trap the fine particulates - it'll come out gray or black. I wouldn't wash the squares with your laundry or even by themselves as you'll introduce lead contamination into your washing machine. Either rinse them out in the sink and let them air dry, or replace them from time to time. Also - sift your walnut through a screen between uses until you trash it. Corncob isn't worth sifting.
Old September 3, 2018, 07:15 PM   #7
Metal god

When I was running low and had very dirty/dusty corn comb media that would not be replaced for awhile , I washed it . Pour into a bucket and filled with water and a bit of soap . Swirl it around then pour out over window screening or paint strainer bag . Then rinse a bit over screening or bag and spread out on flat surface to dry . Worked just fine . FWIW I used a 1/2 sheet of drywall as my flat surface which soaked up some of the moisture from the bottom allowing it to dry faster IMO .

I've used the dryer sheets but not sure how well that actually works . The sheets are dirty after but don't really retain any significant amounts of the dust or at least it does not appear to . It's not like your vacuum filter where if you pat the sheet a cloud of media dust does not go flying so I'm not sure that really works .

Washing it out actually removes the dust but I've never done it with walnut media only corncob .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; September 3, 2018 at 07:21 PM.
Old September 3, 2018, 07:22 PM   #8
Rangerrich99

Pieces of an old towel or socks. Or pieces of a sponge.
Old September 3, 2018, 07:32 PM   #9
D Michalak

+1 for liquid car polish and used dryer sheets. I cut a sheet into 1x1 inch squares for each batch. Works good for me.
Old September 3, 2018, 08:14 PM   #10
jaysouth

When I come in from shooting, I dump the brass in a five gallon bucket. When it is about half full, I add dawn and hot water. After it soaks for a couple of hours, I dump it out, drain and dry in the sun. Then and only then do I handle the brass. Then rifle brass is deprimed, pistol brass is not. When sorted, it goes in a citric acid bath to shine and clean further. When I do get my brass to the vibratory tumbler, it has had all the lead, primer residue, and lead salts washed away.

The tumbler is in the laundry room and I feel comfortable that there is no "cloud" of lead salts surrounding it as the brass is polished in chrome polish and walnut hulls. To keep the dust down, I stuff a dryer sheet in each batch. After polishing, brass goes into plastic bags by caliber and headstamp to await loading.

Sometimes, I can get grand kids to help me sort. I would not let them touch dirty brass because of the contamination. When cleaned in soap and water, I do not worry about them being poisoned.
Old September 4, 2018, 06:28 PM   #11
RC20

Whats odd is that I don't have that problem, we aren't very humid, winter very dry.
Old September 5, 2018, 06:35 AM   #12
cecILL

You could always leave the lid on.
Old September 5, 2018, 05:02 PM   #13
gwpercle

The best stuff is Rooster Bright Brass Case Polish , it's made for corn cob and walnut shell media. Just follow the directions . Can be used on new untreated media or to rejuvenate and to keep dust down....it's the best for media !

I've never had a bad dust problem like some , but Rooster Bright does keep dust down and adds to the media's life.
Gary
Old September 5, 2018, 05:26 PM   #14
FITASC

Quote:
You could always leave the lid on.
What I do with mine; and when the corn cob media gets too dirty, I throw it out and put new stuff in.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 6, 2018, 02:35 PM   #15
Chainsaw.

A small splash of mineral spirits kills any dust and seems to help shine a little better to boot.
Old September 6, 2018, 06:41 PM   #16
308Loader

I've tried the dryer sheets, paper towel, cloth thing. doesn't seem to clear the dust. the blast media is definitely better than the pet litter stuff in the dust category.

"You could always leave the lid on."

I run 2 vibes, one is a closed system and one has slots in the lid. the closed system (harbor freight) builds up more dust than the open (Lyman). in the summer months I run them outside.

"Pour into a bucket and filled with water and a bit of soap . Swirl it around then pour out over window screening"

was what I was thinking, flush out the fine particulates.
Old September 6, 2018, 10:16 PM   #17
hdwhit

Used dryer sheets cut into roughly 1 inch squares. They're something you're already buying, so there's no additional cost in using them.

Drop several squares in the media before tumbling and discard them when you're done. You will note after a while that the dryer sheets come out a lighter and lighter color which confirms that it is removing dust.

Only problem may be getting your wife to remember to save them or remembering to extract them from the dryer yourself.

Also, DON'T use NEW dryer sheets.
Old September 7, 2018, 12:57 AM   #18
AzShooter

Another vote for dryer sheets.
Old September 7, 2018, 06:29 AM   #19
cecILL

Swifters are better than the dryer sheets.
Old September 7, 2018, 12:12 PM   #20
Metal god

Quote:
Swifters are better than the dryer sheets.
Good call , I'd bet they are WAY better at collecting the dust .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old September 10, 2018, 06:15 PM   #21
briandg

Please take this suggestion seriously, try it out. I have never found anything that comes even a tiny bit close as far as functionality.

Get a genuine, real sea sponge. Not an imitation. These can be found at paint stores, craft stores, even places like walmart. They are sold in the cosmetic department quite often.

These things have a rubbery texture, and they hold crud better than anything else in the world.

Here is how to use them. Do you have a full sized tumbler? put a sponge that is about 2-3" in size into your tumbler with the media, even filthy, nasty media. Run it with your brass, just leave it in there as you work. Clean it every once in a while, you know, maybe every 2,000 rounds, or whenever you start seeing dust?

Here is how you clean it, this is the important part. Hold the thing over your tumbler, and gently tap it to knock as much media loose as you can out without knocking out all of the dust along with it. wash the sponge in your kitchen sink with soap and hot water. let it dry. You are done.

When you use one of these, your brass will be brite, it will be dust free, and when you pour your media out of that bowl, there should not be even the tiniest trace of dust. in the bowl. Not kidding at all, not exaggerating.

If you use an abrasive type of polish, you may find that you use more of it than you used to, as the polish can rub off onto the sponge. That isn't a problem, it sits on the sponge, rubs on the brass and polishes just like the media does.

I don't know if a large 3" sponge would work better than two or three small ones. Never tested that.
Old September 13, 2018, 07:52 AM   #22
m&p45acp10+1

I have bad allergies. So I try to keep dust exposure to a minimum. I switched to wet tumbling with an FART with Stainless steel pins. I do still use the old dry vibratory tumbler when taking lube off of loaded tapered cases like .45-70, or .30 Carbine. I use cleaning patches, and dryer sheets. I put NuFinish car polish on a couple of patches, and then run the tumbler open outside for a half hour or so until there are no clumps or lumps. Then I run the rounds through. About an hour later they are clean and shining.