The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 3, 2018, 01:42 PM   #1
308Loader

useful reloading software

looking for useful reloading software. I've tried a few different programs (On target TDS, point blank and others). Wondering what you all use? Quick load seems to be popular, but expensive, on target was cool until the trial ran out. what is the latest and greatest?
Old September 3, 2018, 02:55 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

On Target used to make version 1 available without time limits, but I see it is gone now.

On Target and QuickLOAD are completely different. The former is a target and group evaluator. The latter is an interior ballistics (ballistics of what happens inside the gun) program for exploring the potential of different combinations of bullets and powder to try. It comes with two exterior ballistics (trajectory) programs, one simple and one more sophisticated. But none of those will do what On Target does.

You can try out exterior ballistics programs that are free at the JBM Ballistics site. I am not currently aware of anything equivalent to On Target for it's purpose. On the other hand, On Target is only about $12 for an indefinite license, so it's not like it'll break the bank or anything. The only nuisance is that it is one-computer-only license and if you move the program to another machine you have to request a new key from the company. I've done that twice already. It's just an email away, but you do have to wait for the email to make the round trip.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 3, 2018, 03:26 PM   #3
308Loader

Thanks nick. Both programs have been around for a while now. Has no one designed a program to encompass both? A great program might encompass both interior and exterior ballistics and include a target evaluator and more... I might be dreaming but the power of the modern PC is infinite in these calculations.
Old September 3, 2018, 06:52 PM   #4
std7mag

I'm using QuickLoad/QuickTarget on my computer, Strelok Pro on my phone for my ballistics calculator.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old September 4, 2018, 07:00 AM   #5
hounddawg

I love Ontarget and put all the relevant reload info on each target before I scan it in. Then make folders for each gun, bullet, powders etc. which act as a reloading log
Old February 17, 2019, 12:48 PM   #6
308Loader

any one using "point blank" software? looks interesting.
Old February 17, 2019, 01:15 PM   #7
kilotanker22

I use Strelok, or JBM on my phone. I intend to purchase Quickload soon. It's usefulness was proven to me through the help of another member. Also it's projected results were. Pretty dang close to what I actually got.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old February 17, 2019, 02:51 PM   #8
hounddawg

Quote:
any one using "point blank" software? looks interesting.
I tried it before Ontarget TDS but frankly found it over complicated and not user friendly. It's great if you really like to get down in the weeds and like to experiment a lot. Just me but I can write everything I need to know about the ammo and the conditions right there on the target before scanning
Old February 17, 2019, 03:14 PM   #9
RC20

Quote:
Also it's projected results were. Pretty dang close to what I actually got.
Many people do not get it, but that is what science is.

You run a calc, then you prove it was accurate (withing whatever limits you set) - and its repeatable.

Mumbo jumbo can't predict anything.