The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 11, 2018, 07:26 PM   #26
stagpanther

Press came in on Friday, while the Lee stand--which I'm very fond of--came in today.

So away I went.

The Lee stand comes with a link for mounting presses other than theirs--the manual gives a URL to download a template which basically has all the various screw holes laid out--though it doesn't say anything about which presses which holes work with. I went ahead and cut out the 3/4 ply as instructed (they apparently no longer include a mounting block--which I got with the first stand I bought from them). After following all the instructions for cutting and fitting--I discovered to my dismay the template is the wrong size and doesn't fit the z-holders; it's bit undersized. Gee, that was fun. To save the project, I ended up bolting the block of wood I had cut to the standard metal plate that is set up for Lee presses. It works fine.

The press comes mostly assembled--all you have to do is install the handle and you're good to go--though I haven't assembled and installed the straight primer feed yet. The only fault I found was that the turret lock nut is on so tight I can't get it to budge. No problem for now--but I do have a couple of extra turrets coming in (assuming Optics Planet actually finds them after listing them "in stock" on their site) and I'd like to figure out how to change them out. The owners manual is a bit sparse on instructions--in fact it's really just a catalog. The turret appears to be self-centering with the case/shell-holder. While not one-finger operational--it is still a very easy press to size cases with--and I like the fact dies cinch down directly in the turret as opposed to having a "quick change" collar, which I've found generally adds movement (and measurement inconistencies). I ran a batch of 224 valk brass--some of which had been stretched a bit in some hot loads--and everything the press sized was consistent and "chamber-ready" for my gun.

So far--I like a lot.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg press-on-stand.jpg (176.6 KB, 192 views)
Old September 11, 2018, 08:27 PM   #27
stagpanther

Just installed the straight primer feed--my first thought was no way I have the patience to feed those little things one by one--but soon figured out all I had to do was press them in from the primer tray. Still a bit cumbersome--but tolerable. Primer seating is a breeze--however, because of the extra leverage force it's hard to "tell by feel" if the primer cup in the case might be stretched a bit.
Old September 12, 2018, 09:30 AM   #28
stagpanther

I called Lyman--turns out they use a heavy duty loktite to seal the lock nut on the turret--gonna take some work to get that off. I also let them know that functionally everything works great--but the primer feed--being directly in front of the ram--is really a PITA to remove by having to deal with 3 bolts every time you want it out of the way--I told them they should make a quick release system for future improvements.
Old September 12, 2018, 09:42 AM   #29
Ben Dover

Borrow your wife's hair dryer and heat up that loctite until it's uncomfortable to touch. The bolt will then come out fairly easily.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old September 12, 2018, 09:51 AM   #30
stagpanther

Quote:
Borrow your wife's hair dryer and heat up that loctite until it's uncomfortable to touch. The bolt will then come out fairly easily.
She wasn't too keen on the possibility of the hair dryer being returned with smokeless powder in it.
Old September 12, 2018, 11:47 AM   #31
FrankenMauser

It may just be the fact that I like any excuse to use fire, but I'd probably take a torch to it. If they used red loctite or one of the bearing seating compounds, the hair dryer isn't going to cut it.
Old September 12, 2018, 01:50 PM   #32
stagpanther

Quote:
It may just be the fact that I like any excuse to use fire, but I'd probably take a torch to it. If they used red loctite or one of the bearing seating compounds, the hair dryer isn't going to cut it.
Yup--I'm already good yo go with the torch thing. Honestly--it's easier for me to keep track of things and keep my dies sorted properly by removing them and storing them in their boxes when I'm done--I'm not even sure I'm really going to need to swap the turrets out.
Old September 12, 2018, 01:52 PM   #33
stagpanther

It is a very smooth and precise press a bargain at the price I got it for IMO. Big hunk of iron--I like that VERY much.
Old September 12, 2018, 02:21 PM   #34
Don P

Quote:
I have to agree with Sevens. Lyman makes good products, but whoever makes product development decisions for them IMHO should retire.
Maybe, unless they are trying to take business away from Redding. It look just like the Redding except its yellow instead of green
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old September 12, 2018, 02:28 PM   #35
stagpanther

Quote:
Quote:
I have to agree with Sevens. Lyman makes good products, but whoever makes product development decisions for them IMHO should retire.
Maybe, unless they are trying to take business away from Redding. It look just like the Redding except its yellow instead of green
Well, I like it...and I like Creedmoor too!
Old September 12, 2018, 04:51 PM   #36
Ben Dover

Franken, I never had any trouble with red loctite and the hair dryer!

Just takes a little patience!

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old September 13, 2018, 10:00 PM   #37
F. Guffey

I have the 6 position Herter, there was a time I could have sent the turret back to add 6 more positions, back then rather than add a turret I added a press. I also have the two ram press by Herter and I have the 'U' press. And then there were the shell holders; Herter shell holders fit the case, RCBS shell holders fit the case like a hand me down shirt; they only fit the cases where they touched.

And then there were the adapter kits, I thought the adapter kits were a bad habit; the RCBS shell holder did not fit the case.

F. Guffey
Old November 5, 2018, 09:35 AM   #38
stagpanther

Well folks--the honeymoon is over; after maybe a couple of thousand reloads the press failed today. The bearing or mechanism which locks the turret stationary no longer works. Now I have to try and figure out how to get the turret off--so far all attempts have failed including using solvent and a torch. Lyman CS tells me that they use a locker to lock the turret at the factory.
Old November 5, 2018, 10:50 AM   #39
F. Guffey

Quote:
Now I have to try and figure out how to get the turret off--
I do not know; but there are not many different ways to install, mount and or hole it on.

All of my turret presses have detents for alignment and handles for rotating. I can only guess you are required to loosen the large center nut and remove when removing the turret. And I assume the handle aids in rotating and it could be could be part of the detent system.

I have tools that scare a lot of people, I have slide hammers of all sizes, I also have large chains for those jobs that allow me to jump out of the way when the stubborn part goes flying by. And, I have knockers; I use knucklers when I want to drive the one part and leave the part I am removing setting still. That type of tool works when working on small engines that have fly-wheels pressed onto a tapered shaft.

When it comes to stubborn nuts I use a splitter, some are threaded and others are used in a hydraulic system. And then there is grinding as in carefully.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; November 5, 2018 at 03:03 PM.
Old November 5, 2018, 01:54 PM   #40
stagpanther

Large nut with also a hole through it. Got to get it off somehow
Old November 5, 2018, 03:11 PM   #41
F. Guffey

Quote:
Large nut with also a hole through it. Got to get it off somehow
I do not know what area of the country you live in but if you are near-by let me know. I am located in north east Dallas, Tx.

F. Guffey
Old November 5, 2018, 04:56 PM   #42
stagpanther

Quote:
I do not know what area of the country you live in but if you are near-by let me know. I am located in north east Dallas, Tx.

F. Guffey
Very kind of you to offer--I live in CoastalĀ Maine though. I did live in north Addison for a few years back in the 80's.
Old November 6, 2018, 08:43 AM   #43
stagpanther

After putting a heavy duty monkey wrench on the lock nut and giving it a solid whack with a hand sledge hammer--I finally busted the turret lock nut loose!

Here is the culprit--the indexing bearing is stuck down in it's hole--I'm guessing the counter-sunk hole was just the right size to allow the bearing (which I assume has a spring under it) to lock into it with enough pressure. I've only put maybe a thousand or so cartridges through the press since I got it--hard to believe it would fail so quickly.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg press.jpg (51.4 KB, 86 views)
Old November 6, 2018, 09:08 AM   #44
stagpanther

Follow-up--just called Lyman--turns out they had a bad batch of presses go out with the wrong-sized holes, and lucky me (as is often the case LOL) I ended up with one of the defectives. They said they would send me a new as soon as they are done making them. Lucky for me I still have my 1o year old lee anniversary press which I bought for $79 and has never failed me, as slow as it is.
Old November 6, 2018, 11:13 AM   #45
FrankenMauser

At least you'll get a free press out of it.

Ream (or even just hone) the hole, reassemble, and drive it like you stole it.
Old November 6, 2018, 11:20 AM   #46
stagpanther

Quote:
At least you'll get a free press out of it.

Ream (or even just hone) the hole, reassemble, and drive it like you stole it.
"Everyone speaks gun."--Robert O'Neill
I am NOT an expert--I do not have any formal experience or certification in firearms use or testing; use any information I post at your own risk!
Old November 6, 2018, 11:25 AM   #47
FrankenMauser

Lame.
I was wondering if that would be the case, since Lyman likes to refurbish.
Old November 6, 2018, 11:38 AM   #48
stagpanther

I like the press--when it works. The only thing I DON'T like is their scheme for primer seating, between filling the tube by hand and the positioning directly in front of the press (in the way of the ram and die) definitely a bad design IMO.
Old November 6, 2018, 04:15 PM   #49
FrankenMauser

Redding's priming system is similar for the T-7 turret. I elected to skip it, and stuck with hand priming.
I recently picked up an RCBS 'automatic' bench priming tool, though. I haven't touched the hand priming tool or primed a single case on the press since that thing showed up...

Loading tubes is tedious. But I like the tool enough that it really isn't a complaint.
Old November 6, 2018, 05:16 PM   #50
stagpanther

I'll have to take a look at that--thanks.