The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 30, 2018, 09:46 AM   #1
stagpanther

New Lyman All-American press

I just ordered one of these--can't really say why I chose it over the many other options out there--other than I like simple but would also like to try a multi-die turret design for the first time. Any thoughts?

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...es+from+Lyman!
Old August 30, 2018, 10:39 AM   #2
shootsocal_dave

That should be a good buy. Its a much more conservative purchase than the RCBS, I cant imagine its much less quality. Would be good for precision rifle loading. I might want to set up my bolt action rifle calibers on one of these and keep my AR and pistol ammos on my Dillon 550
Old August 30, 2018, 12:48 PM   #3
Sevens

I believe you made a mistake, I would cancel the order if it were me.

I cannot, for the life of me, understand what would draw someone to a turret press that does not offer quickly replaced and low cost extra turrets.

Unless you only load two calibers and will only EVER load those two and will never add any more, I see absolutely no rational reason why anyone would choose this rig over a Lee Classic Turret.

Turrets for the LCT are what... $12 each? You could fill 10 of them with dies and swap turrets in less than two seconds.

The Lyman turret seems like it would be cutting edge technology... in 1958. Nothing wrong with that, but it seems like a very tough sell in this market.
Old August 30, 2018, 12:59 PM   #4
stagpanther

Quote:
believe you made a mistake, I would cancel the order if it were me.

I cannot, for the life of me, understand what would draw someone to a turret press that does not offer quickly replaced and low cost extra turrets.

Unless you only load two calibers and will only EVER load those two and will never add any more, I see absolutely no rational reason why anyone would choose this rig over a Lee Classic Turret.

Turrets for the LCT are what... $12 each? You could fill 10 of them with dies and swap turrets in less than two seconds.

The Lyman turret seems like it would be cutting edge technology... in 1958. Nothing wrong with that, but it seems like a very tough sell in this market.
Not sure what you mean here--is the beef you have have to do with not being able to do a quick swap-out of turrets with the dies already positioned when loading multiple cartridges?
Old August 30, 2018, 01:06 PM   #5
Sevens

Haha, well I wouldn't say it is a beef...

Let's look at the benefits of a turret press over a single stage. With any turret press it's a fast click and you are now working with a different die. With the Lyman, you've got a big solid unit and it holds eight dies, that is a lot for sure! But that turret wasn't designed to be swapped out like a toolhead. With the Lee Classic Turret, each turret is a very low cost unit and you can add MANY, and literally pop them in and out in a moment.

Many love the LCT because it can also advance the turret, mimicking a poor-man's "progressive", I myself don't care for that advantage but many do. To me, the pure genius is fast swapping and ultra-low cost turrets.

Does Lyman even offer a second turret? And how much? Easy to swap?
Old August 30, 2018, 01:44 PM   #6
stagpanther

By the time I'm done accurizing brass, bumping shoulders back etc. I've never used a "set-and-forget" die position anyway; the overwhelmingly compelling benefit of having a preloaded turret is a bit lost upon me--but then again I've never used one of any kind.
Old August 30, 2018, 02:44 PM   #7
gwpercle

I've been reloading for 50 years on various single stage presses. Spotted an older Lyman A-A turret press at a flea market and bought it .
Not a bad press , great for doing handgun ammo, mine's set up for 38 Special. Each die is left adjusted , I do a batch of 50/100 , like it is a single stage , then move to the next die. Some think spinning the turret around and around doing one complete round at a time is the way to go but I don't like that method.
The new A-A's are beefier so should be better for rifle , 223 and such should be a snap for it. ...you don't state what you will be loading.
I always advise new guys that a good single stage press will always be useful. Lots of odd jobs, small lots and little things they are needed for. Some long rifle rounds benefit from the compound linkage when resizing .

The turret press main claim to fame is you can leave the dies adjusted, I got mine after all these years and like it just fine . I think you made an excellent choice .

Gary
Old August 30, 2018, 02:54 PM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I have to agree with Sevens. Lyman makes good products, but whoever makes product development decisions for them IMHO should retire. I guess there might be something out there that only uses two dies but, for the most part, rifle uses three and handgun uses three or, more often, four. At the moment, I reload for eight handgun cartridges, and before too long I expect to add 8mm Mauser into the mix. A non-indexing turret press that, at best, will only handle two cartridges without having to swap out dies simply holds zero attraction for me.

I use a Lee 4-station Turret press (the original, not the Classic), and it's so convenient that I've never bothered to set up the progressive press I have sitting in the crawlspace adjacent to my loading bench. Like the Classic, Lee's original Turret Press is auto-indexing, so after each step, when the handle is raised to retract the ram, the turret automatically advances to the next station. I have multiple turrets, all set up and ready to go. Changing to a different cartridge takes me longer to find the other turret than it does to make the swap. The actual changeover probably takes fifteen seconds.
Old August 30, 2018, 04:37 PM   #9
Sevens

Quote:
By the time I'm done accurizing brass, bumping shoulders back etc. I've never used a "set-and-forget" die position anyway; the overwhelmingly compelling benefit of having a preloaded turret is a bit lost upon me--but then again I've never used one of any kind.
Okay, even if you don't care to keep settings and adjustments on any of your dies (which honestly I find difficult to believe, do you load any straight wall handgun ammo at all?), you still have a lifetime limit of 8 spaces in the Lyman where the limit on swappable and low-cost turrets literally have no limit.

If you only load two calibers and no more, EVER, than yes, swappable turrets offers nothing over this Lyman press. If your entire handloading existence totals 8 or fewer dies, then the Lyman looks like a nice option.
Old August 30, 2018, 10:23 PM   #10
marchboom

My first press was the Lyman 6-hole turret and I still have and use it. Recently I was going to get either a Co-Ax press or a Redding T-7 turret press but when you consider the cost of the extra turrets (about $70) the T-7 can get very expensive. A friend gave me a Co-Ax press and, IMO, this is the way to go if you have a lot of dies. You only cry once with it's price but there is nothing else to buy. You're done. Dies change out in a few seconds and the accuracy is great.
RSO
Old August 30, 2018, 10:46 PM   #11
stagpanther

The AA does have a swap-out turret head simply spin the lock nut on and off--though I've yet to find them available from a retailer--rather not pay the extra to go to Lyman directly.
Old August 30, 2018, 10:54 PM   #12
marchboom

I would find out how much they cost before investing in this press. It could wind up costing you way more than you thought.
RSO
Old August 30, 2018, 11:00 PM   #13
stagpanther

Quote:
It could wind up costing you way more than you thought.
It usually does, with anything I do.

I found them for $50 a pop--but they hold 2 sets each and I like the heavy iron approach.
Old August 30, 2018, 11:34 PM   #14
markr6754

I must be a contrarian as well. I saw it on sale for $192 and just love the meat to it. Turrets will be hard to find until this has a few cycles under its belt...but I’ve seen them priced as low as $42.91, though now out of stock. Nonetheless, it looks solid, and I love solid. I just wish they could come up with a solid ram prime die. I’m looking to obtain a solid loading bench this weekend, and one of these would like fine next to my Lock-n-Load Classic.

Good luck with your new purchase.
Old August 31, 2018, 05:17 AM   #15
stagpanther

Quote:
...you don't state what you will be loading.
I load just about everything, including the occasional 'cat
Old August 31, 2018, 05:22 AM   #16
stagpanther

Quote:
Turrets will be hard to find until this has a few cycles under its belt...but I’ve seen them priced as low as $42.91
I just ordered a few extra from optics planet--almost as much as the press itself--but it's not going to upset my morning strudel if I have to swap dies out of the turrets on occasion. I don't like the idea of them drifting out of adjustment anyway--or the same bullet now has slightly different dimensions.
Old August 31, 2018, 10:55 AM   #17
libiglou

I don't see the need for extra turrets. I reload about a dozen pistol and rifle ctgs on the lyman turret press and once the dies are set are easy to screw into the press. I resize then prime separately using a hand held tool. I have Lymans excellent powder through expander dies so it throws powder(rcbs uniflow mounted on the die) and expands the the case at same time then I spin the turret to the next station and seat the bullet,last station crimps the ctgd. I can do 200 rounds in less than 2 hours depending on my mood(this is pistol of course, rifle is a bit different and takes longer due to trimming the cases)But hey to each his own....
Old August 31, 2018, 11:35 AM   #18
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
I've been reloading for 50 years on various single stage presses. Spotted an older Lyman A-A turret press at a flea market and bought it .
Not a bad press , great for doing handgun ammo, mine's set up for 38 Special. Each die is left adjusted , I do a batch of 50/100 , like it is a single stage , then move to the next die. Some think spinning the turret around and around doing one complete round at a time is the way to go but I don't like that method.
The new A-A's are beefier so should be better for rifle , 223 and such should be a snap for it. ...you don't state what you will be loading.
I always advise new guys that a good single stage press will always be useful. Lots of odd jobs, small lots and little things they are needed for. Some long rifle rounds benefit from the compound linkage when resizing .

The turret press main claim to fame is you can leave the dies adjusted, I got mine after all these years and like it just fine . I think you made an excellent choice .

Gary
I am absolutely in this camp. Only ever owned one turret press and it was a very good one I just couldn't get the hang of, sold it! Now I'm back to doing everything on my single stage and have a different set of dies for each rifle and each set to load for one rifle only! Works good for me!
Old August 31, 2018, 11:37 AM   #19
FrankenMauser

I've been curious about that press.
I don't really need another, but, for some reason, the All American grabbed my attention.
I want to get my hands on one, in person, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens
May I offer my opinion and rationale?
I know this has been discussed further, since this initial post, but I wanted to go back to the original question.

For me, it's very simple: I hate Lee single-stage presses. I hate Lee turrets even more. I have mixed feelings about Lee progressives. (It's not all hate.)

And...
Some people don't need to swap all the time.
I've had 6x45mm dies in my Redding T-7 turret for ... five(?) years now. (Sizer, seater.)
I've had my .475 Tremor dies in the turret for three and a half years. (Sizer, seater.)
That leaves three holes for the flavor of the week.
The flavor of the week, however, has been .480 Ruger for the last 10 months, or so. (Sizer, expander, seater.)

When I need to crimp 6x45mm (rare, separate die), need to expand .475 Tremor (rare), or need to do anything else that requires another die and I don't want to mess with the turret, I just screw the die in the Rock Chucker. Very rarely, I might have something set up in the Rock Chucker that I don't want to mess with. In that case, I use the Pacific C-press on the end of the bench.
Worst case, if everything else has a die in it that I don't want to remove, I can grab the Lee hand press out of my die storage area and run that. -- I have never had to do such. (A positive Lee reference from me. Mark your calendars. )

Not long ago, I also had a Lyman T-Mag II turret press on the bench. But I never needed the extra capacity, and very, very rarely used it. So, I sold it.
(I also, for some reason, really didn't like that press. I don't know why. But the new owner loves it.)

I have very few cartridges that have a single, designated load that is the 'go-to' and gets reloaded regularly. More often than not, I'm loading something different each time I grab the dies for a given cartridge - they may be established loads, or even the 'go-to' load - but different than what the dies did the last time. As such, there isn't much point in having everything pre-set in their own turrets.

The only notable exceptions to the above are .475 Tremor and 6x45mm. I've been running the same bullets at the same COAL for quite some time now. The 6x45mm is a long-term resident due to the volume of fire. The .475 Tremor, because it's a bit of a beast for developing loads. (It took me three years to get a load worked up for just one bullet.)
9mm could also be a contender, but I loaded thousands of rounds of my 'standard load' just before I sold my Dillon 550B. So I'm good there ... for quite some time.
And the .480 Ruger is only a temporary resident of the turret, because it gets the .475 Tremor's 'sloppy seconds' (bullets that won't work there) and I've been establishing various loads for future use.

Some people say I'm wasting my life, one antiquated die change at a time, but I'm okay with that.
Old August 31, 2018, 11:41 AM   #20
Don Fischer

I just had a though for the guy's loving turret's that have a lot of rifles. Wouldn't it be great if someone made a turret press that held 50 different set's of dies at one time so you could switch from one set to another a lot faster? Seem's people want the press they can change dies and load the fastest with!
Old August 31, 2018, 06:15 PM   #21
Sevens

Well...

For certain, there is nothing whatsoever wrong with spinning a die in or out of a press when you need or simply wish to. In fact, I don't even own a turret press myself. I seat all my bullets on my single stage press and I'll continue to do exactly that.

Not sure why anyone who owns a great single stage that they love... would be chasing a turret press down if their end game is to spin dies in and out of it.

But it's all good. I think that all of us in this discussion have successfully gotten ourselves this far and we'll keep doing even better as we go forward.
Old August 31, 2018, 06:38 PM   #22
Ben Dover

Lyman quality is legendary. I have a Lyman "Orange Crusher" on my bench, right beside my Redding Ultra Mag, and my two Dillons. (upgraded RL 450 and XL 650)

Presses, to me are like guns. You can never have enough!

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old August 31, 2018, 06:47 PM   #23
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Not sure why anyone who owns a great single stage that they love... would be chasing a turret press down if their end game is to spin dies in and out of it.
Leaving something in place for a time - days, weeks, or even months - is sometimes worthwhile while chasing a load for a particular cartridge, while still being able to load other things on the same press.
That isn't my current situation, but was the case prior to the .480 Ruger showing up. (I'm almost done with that for now, anyway. Two more bullets to nail down, and I'll be done for a few years - at least with development.)

It's like having a double-wide driveway.
You can park one car for a day, a week, a month, or years, but still be able to use the other side of the driveway for other vehicles. There's no shuffling. No moving things around to get to the other car. You just grab the keys you want, blow the dust off, and go.
Old August 31, 2018, 10:48 PM   #24
hounddawg

That Lyman looks like you could use it as a small anchor Stag . I am sure it will last a lifetime, or two

I have been considering going back to either a turret or try a Forster Co Ax. I am leaning toward the Forster. The die changout does not get much easier than on a Forster
Old September 1, 2018, 12:41 AM   #25
stagpanther

I like the look and design of the co-ax too-- though I prefer the idea of spinning down the die inside a collar a little better to lock it into place. I've replaced some lock-collar designs on dies like RCBS's that use a screw to cinch the die threads with the collar rubber bushing design that Lee favors. Hornady uses the best approach IMO with a cinch collar design