The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old May 7, 2009, 01:40 PM   #1
twocan

Bullet Box Construction

Indoor Bullet Box

I am considering building a 4 foot by 8 foot Bullet Box for .22LR fired from my Glock 26 using the Advantage Arms Conversion Barrel from approximately 15 to 18 feet away.

Does anyone know what kind of backing material I would need to use to prevent penetration through the back of the box?

My initial design ideas are to use a 2x8 wood frame with 3/4" plywood for the back and possibly a steel plate and/or rubber sheet to contain the bullets with a thin sheet of plywood for the front.

I have not yet found the data necessary to calculate the forces generated by 40 grain .22LR bullets.

As a side benefit, it will make good cover in case of a home invasion.

Capt. Art
Old June 24, 2009, 06:07 PM   #2
Superhouse 15

Can't speak for the box itself. There are commercial traps available that have an angled back. The bullet strikes and is broken up and deflected into the base of the box. You might look at those and copy.

As for energy, simple:

Velocity squared x weight in grains
_____________________________ (divided by)

An example 40gr RN at 1050FPS= 97.9FPE
Old June 27, 2009, 11:21 PM   #3
oneounceload

shooting .22 indoors will also have the issue of lead exposure from the bullets when firing....you need to consider ventilation also.......

as to the backstop, a piece of steel plate angled to send bullets down into a bed of sand works well
Old June 28, 2009, 04:00 PM   #4
mikejonestkd

Our local club has a .22 indoor range and they use a heavy steel plate angled down into a bed of sand and it stops everything.

As mentioned above, ventilation is a primary concern. We have several fans that are located downrange that draw the air away from the shooter and out vents above the targets. fresh air comes from intake vents behind the shooters. That way the air is always moving away from the people.

You don't mention where you are located. It is illegal to discharge a firearm in some residential neighborhoods/ many towns/ most city limits. look into the legalities before you begin.
be safe
Old July 21, 2009, 09:34 PM   #5
booker_t

2" of RHA backed by 1" of HHA should do the trick for pretty much anything you choose to shoot, unless you have a stock of homemade EFPs or some leftover RPG-7Gs you're eager to pop off.
Old July 22, 2009, 08:39 AM   #6
Uncle Buck

I am also looking to build a bullet trap, but for large calibre hand guns. What are the initials "RHA" and "HHA"?

Thanks.
Old July 22, 2009, 09:14 PM   #7
booker_t

RHA: Rolled Homogeneous Armor
HHA: High Hard Armor