The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 5, 2018, 03:14 PM   #1
markr6754

Everglades Ammunition 9mm 155gr?

Anyone here have any experience with Everglades Ammunition and their 115gr 9mm Concave Base FMJ bullets?

I saw a good deal (to me) for their 4000 round clearance, and as I have thousands of empty 9mm shells, I thought I'd buy thousands of bullets to become a serious matchmaker.

I'm going purely off the website photos, but the bullets "look" quite nice, and I am only using these for plinking. Now that my son has a new Kahr CM9 we're likely to run through double the ammo I've been burning, as well as what I get my wife to shoot as I test softer loads for her.

I hope that these are everything I'm looking for...I don't think I can find a true jacketed 9mm for less than (or equal to) $0.06725 per round.
Old September 5, 2018, 03:17 PM   #2
FITASC

I am using their 124s and they seem to work well enough - as good as any other plated bullets. I am not sure who makes them for them, but they are US-made, according to them.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 5, 2018, 06:53 PM   #3
Average Joe

Great bullets, been using them for a while now.. Just reordered another 2k when they had the Labor Day sale.
Old September 5, 2018, 07:05 PM   #4
markr6754

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
I am using their 124s and they seem to work well enough - as good as any other plated bullets. I am not sure who makes them for them, but they are US-made, according to them.
According to their website, these are jacketed rounds, not plated. I mostly shoot plated rounds, for the economics, but getting jacketed for less than I’ve paid for plated made me start this thread. This is my first purchase from them, but I’ve checked their site before, and prices are generally favorable. Want to be sure I didn’t buy a pig in a poke.
Old September 5, 2018, 07:15 PM   #5
FITASC

You didn't; good company to deal with.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 6, 2018, 12:53 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...I thought I'd buy thousands of bullets..." Don't buy anything but primers in bulk until you have worked up the load. You have to work up a load for each pistol too.
"...I test softer loads for her..." No loads testing for her. She has to shoot 'em, not you.
And the '155gr' typo is for given. snicker.
Old September 6, 2018, 01:59 PM   #7
higgite

Quote:
And the '155gr' typo is for given. snicker.
Splitting the word forgiven into 2 words is also forgiven. snicker.
Old September 9, 2018, 02:30 PM   #8
markr6754

Shipment from Everglades Ammo arrived yesterday. Poor postman. The box was 68 lbs. Gotta love “If it fits, it ships!” Though I’d bet the postman doesn’t. I couldn’t pick up the box...had to open it in the foyer, and leave it, but loaded an empty Berry’s box to the top for use on my loading bench.

Checking sample bullets...weights from 114.4gr to 115.7. Quite a spread in only 10 bullets. Majority at 115.0gr. I may break down and separate groups of bullets so that my reloads have similar shooting characteristics. Looks like I need to order some of those heavy ziploc bags after all.
Old September 10, 2018, 08:22 PM   #9
markr6754

I'm thinking that this distribution is far too extreme! Am I off base? I've never checked the weight distribution on a box of bullets before. No way I'm going to weigh out 4000 units.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Everglades Ammo Bullet Distribution.jpg (236.3 KB, 207 views)
Old September 11, 2018, 02:30 AM   #10
kmw1954

mark6754 I posted once before of a time when I was extremely bored and it had been raining for days so I took a full new box of 115gr Xtreme plated bullets and started weighing them. The whole box of 500! I came out very similar to the deviation that you found.

When I was done I separated them into 5 groups and loaded those all together. Honestly I couldn't discern these lots from the bullet lots that weren't weighed when it came to putting them on targets!

Though it was an interesting exercise. As a matter of fact when I loaded these bullet groups I actually also weighted each powder charge. So after this adventure I no longer fret bullet weight or powder deviations as I know my powders are dropping consistent and being off 0.1gr isn't going to change anything.