The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 18, 2018, 11:01 AM   #1
Vulcannut

GP100 22LR new to me but off to Ruger

I posted this on the Ruger forum so if anyone hangs out there you not seeing doubles.

This weekend I picked up a used GP100 in 22LR at my local dealer. I had been wanting one of these but they don’t show up to often. I know there is always the online option but I try to keep it local if I can. Well anyways I took it home and while cleaning I noticed that the barrel was not centered to the frame. When cleaning there was a good bit of lead around the forcing cone. Now I know I could of taken the gun back to my dealer and they would of made it right but instead I called Ruger and it’s heading to NH . I sort of wish I noticed it prior to bringing it home I guess the but oh well. Then again I probably would of still taken it home.

It sure is pretty

Until you look down the barrel

Ruger said if it’s out of spec, which I would think it is, it will either be repaired or replaced. If they say it’s good to shoot then shoot it I will. Just seems way off to me.

It also looked real nice next to it’s elders - sitting between a 1975 Security Six and 1989 GP100 .357

Last edited by Vulcannut; September 18, 2018 at 11:16 AM.
Old September 18, 2018, 11:07 AM   #2
Jim Watson

I have a S&W that was so crooked that when I had the barrel cut to 5" as was then allowed by IDPA, FLG just milled the rib flat and square with the frame so the Weigand ramp would be true. Later recut to 4" when they changed the rules.
Old September 18, 2018, 05:12 PM   #3
HighValleyRanch

wow, that looks abit off!
Did you try shooting it first to see how the POI was?
Old September 18, 2018, 05:15 PM   #4
DaleA

I think you did the right thing. Ruger customer service has, IMhO, a pretty good reputation of making things right up to and including sending you a replacement revolver. I don't know what your gun store would have done but now there's one less clunker rattling around out there. Good work.

I've often thought about a 10-shot S&W 617 but the price is a little high. Let us know how yours works out. I may readjust my thinking.

P.S. Nice pictures!
Old September 18, 2018, 06:54 PM   #5
Vulcannut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post
wow, that looks abit off!
Did you try shooting it first to see how the POI was?
No didn’t try it. The rear site was adjusted way over to the right so I figured it was off. If Ruger said try it I would of but once I told them the measurements side to side they said send it n.
Old September 18, 2018, 07:08 PM   #6
Vulcannut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleA View Post
I think you did the right thing. Ruger customer service has, IMhO, a pretty good reputation of making things right up to and including sending you a replacement revolver. I don't know what your gun store would have done but now there's one less clunker rattling around out there. Good work.

I've often thought about a 10-shot S&W 617 but the price is a little high. Let us know how yours works out. I may readjust my thinking.

P.S. Nice pictures!
Yeah in retrospect I could see this as getting a clunker out of circulation. I like that. Ruger said turn around is 7-10 days unless it needs replacing then 3-4 weeks.

I hope in the end this one works out. I have come to enjoy revolvers and having in .22 just seemed right. In my area I don’t see many GP100 in .22 and the last one I did see new was something like $699. Online I see them around $600. I paid $400 for this.

Whatever happens I’ll update the post.
Old September 19, 2018, 06:15 PM   #7
lunger

$400 is a good price ,especially if Ruger takes care of it. I bought mine new because the SW 617 I bought had a clocked barrel.I sent it back to Smith.While waiting I bought the GP.

Mine is a great shooter. After I got the 617 back , I usually take them both to the range. It is back and forth which one I shoot better. The 617 has the nicer trigger but the GP has for me better balance. The sights on the Ruger are easier for my old eyes.

Hope they fix you up. It is a very nice revolver.
Old September 19, 2018, 06:51 PM   #8
Vulcannut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunger View Post
$400 is a good price ,especially if Ruger takes care of it. I bought mine new because the SW 617 I bought had a clocked barrel.I sent it back to Smith.While waiting I bought the GP.

Mine is a great shooter. After I got the 617 back , I usually take them both to the range. It is back and forth which one I shoot better. The 617 has the nicer trigger but the GP has for me better balance. The sights on the Ruger are easier for my old eyes.

Hope they fix you up. It is a very nice revolver.
I hope they fix it up as well. It was picked up on Tuesday and delivered today. Ruger sent me a confirmation email. I just can’t imagine it would be in spec the way it is. Then again what do I know.
Old September 19, 2018, 07:20 PM   #9
reddog81

At $400 I'd have bought it knowing the barrel was canted like that. You can find them online for $625 but then you have to pay shipping and FFL fees.
Old September 19, 2018, 08:07 PM   #10
HighValleyRanch

You're not the original purchaser and yet Ruger covered it with their warranty?
That speaks volumes for their customer service!
Old September 19, 2018, 08:19 PM   #11
Vulcannut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post
That speaks volumes for their customer service!
Yeah I didn’t try to spin it. Told them I bought it used and they were fine with it.
Old September 19, 2018, 08:28 PM   #12
dogdoc

I see that on many I have looked at especially redhawks. Start inspecting them at gun shops and you will see it. As long as sights are straight I do not think it matters to them
Old September 19, 2018, 10:57 PM   #13
Crankylove

Quote:
Ruger has no warranty, they just stand behind their products, and try hard to take care of their customers, original owner or not.
Old September 24, 2018, 06:07 PM   #14
Vulcannut

Hi folk - I received notice today that Ruger is replacing the gun.

I haven’t touch base with them to see when it will be shipped but for those interested:

UPS picked the gun up last Tuesday
The gun was delivered on Wednesday
On Thursday I received confirmation they received it
Today, Monday, around 10:30 I received an email stating that a gunsmith has taken possession of it - around 3:00 I was informed they are going to replace it

So far I am very impressed with Ruger’s service
Old September 25, 2018, 10:13 AM   #15
Jim Watson

Interesting that they can come out better to replace a gun than to fix it.
I recently read a similar case of a Major Big Name Boutique Semi-Custom 1911 shop replacing a dud instead of rebuilding it.

That says something about the manufacturing process and their craving for "good customer service" reviews that they will just throw away a gun.
Old September 26, 2018, 09:59 PM   #16
CommandoX

I'm glad to hear that your experience is similar to mine. I have a Super Redhawk that they fixed after I blew the front site (whole sight assembly) off. Ya...I did that.
I am the 4th owner of that gun.
They sold me a shipping label for $30 after I shopped around and couldn't get a ship label from anyone for less than $90.

Then they ended up replacing the barrel/front sight and 5 internal parts because they didn't like the wear on them. The gun was built in 1998. All that and shipped back to me for $30 in just under 3 weeks due to testing and all. It is my second most favorite gun. My first is my GP100 in .357. Both guns have seen several thousand rounds through them now.

Good luck with your NEW pistol.
Old October 1, 2018, 11:11 AM   #17
arquebus357

If you look at the OP's photos you can see that the problem is the frame itself is fatter on the right side than the left side. Ruger could not fix by adjusting (turning) the barrel so they are going to replace it.

Good eye and good job getting this done to your satisfaction.
Old October 1, 2018, 05:53 PM   #18
2wheelwander

Congrats on that GP100. I keep looking at those. Just a nice revolver all the way around.
Old October 1, 2018, 08:08 PM   #19
tallball

Those are very nice revolvers. I wish I'd bought one when I had the chance.
Old October 2, 2018, 05:02 AM   #20
Vulcannut

As an update the replacement shipped last Friday and is at was delivered at my FFL yesterday. Heading there today to pick it. Assuming it’s good it’s been a total of 13 days for the time UPS picked it to when the new one was delivered to my FFL. Honestly that’s outstanding. Ruger has won a lifetime customer.
Old October 2, 2018, 03:18 PM   #21
ds-10-speed

I hope you get a good one when it comes in. I bought an early one and it had several issues. I hope they are now getting the quality better.

These might be some areas to look at when you pick it up.

Cylinder ratchet quality and metal curls on star points. Filed and polished the ratchet and made a tool to clean up curls.

Hammer shape. Reshaped and polished.

Front sight gap. This caused the rear sight to be at the upper limit. Just put on a red dot.

Hammer rubbing on frame. Added shims.

Poor firing pin impact. Before and after modifying.

Also the right side of the trigger guard was very rough and needed finish filing and sanding.

I fixed everything but the front sight dovetail myself and it is now very smooth after tuning.

Old October 2, 2018, 03:30 PM   #22
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
Double action pin shooter
You shoot bowling pins with a .22?
Old October 2, 2018, 04:00 PM   #23
ds-10-speed

Pins yes, also steel plates (SCSA and RSSF)

Here is an old pin shoot, I was younger and we now use steel pins on hinges so we don't have to set them up, just pull the rope. We've been doing this for more than 20 years.

Last edited by ds-10-speed; October 2, 2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old October 2, 2018, 04:41 PM   #24
smee78

Wow, a new gun for $400 is a good deal, glad they took care of ya. I had a Vaquero that was shooting way off POA VS POI and I sent it back to Ruger and they took care of it and it was perfect once I got it back. Ruger just seems to make customer satisfaction a priority while still making a profit.
Old October 2, 2018, 05:09 PM   #25
HighValleyRanch

I'm impressed! Good shooting!