The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 18, 2018, 02:08 PM   #1
Old Stony

Need advice...Glock 19x

I recently picked up a 19x to play with, and of course the trigger needed something done with it. I got an Apex trigger and 3.5 connector and while it made the trigger pull a lot smoother and easier, it still has a ridiculously long pull before it fires. It is sort of like shooting a nice action on a revolver..double action. I also replaced the spring on the firing pin with a Wolf spring and it helped the whole firing process.
My big question is how the heck can I get some of the take-up out of that trigger.
Please no recommendations to replace the pistol with other brands, as I already have a lot of M&P's and others. My other Glocks seemed to come out better with a little tinkering and parts replacements.
Old October 18, 2018, 02:11 PM   #2
TunnelRat

Ridiculously long compared to what?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old October 18, 2018, 02:28 PM   #3
Old Stony

Compared to my other Glocks, M&P's, etc... If a guy wants to try for a little accuracy, you really have to work at it...holding on the target while pulling the trigger a long way before it breaks.
Old October 18, 2018, 02:32 PM   #4
TunnelRat

Hmm, that seems odd to me. I hadn't heard of it being that different.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old October 18, 2018, 02:36 PM   #5
Old Stony

Just to give you a little idea of how bad it actually is, it's worse than any of my previous Glocks. I was just thinking about models I have owned over the years, and I've owned at least one of each of these....17,19,22,23,21,27,20 and a 42.
I like the 19x, just need to get the trigger squared away.
Old October 18, 2018, 07:11 PM   #6
Chui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Stony View Post
I recently picked up a 19x to play with, and of course the trigger needed something done with it. I got an Apex trigger and 3.5 connector and while it made the trigger pull a lot smoother and easier, it still has a ridiculously long pull before it fires. It is sort of like shooting a nice action on a revolver..double action. I also replaced the spring on the firing pin with a Wolf spring and it helped the whole firing process.

My big question is how the heck can I get some of the take-up out of that trigger.

Please no recommendations to replace the pistol with other brands, as I already have a lot of M&P's and others. My other Glocks seemed to come out better with a little tinkering and parts replacements.

Perhaps you do; perhaps you don’t - know that the trigger takeup is part of the inherent (designed) safety of the system.

Little take up (so-called “no take up”) requires an external safety.

Get a 1911...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old October 18, 2018, 08:20 PM   #7
JDBerg

I frankly don’t understand the need to reduce the takeup on a Glock 19x trigger, I have one, I carry it & I shoot it pretty well if I do say so myself. So unless this Glock 19x is intended for range use only I wouldn’t reduce the takeup on its trigger!
Old October 18, 2018, 09:02 PM   #8
JohnKSa
Staff

Be very careful about drop-in solutions claiming to reduce the takeup. It's not impossible to reduce the takeup safely in a Glock trigger, but care is required when doing so as it can disable the passive safety systems if too much takeup is removed.

If you're going to use a drop-in solution, it is probably a good idea to have the gun looked over by a Glock armorer when you are done. This can be accomplished free of charge at any outdoor GSSF match. Take the gun to the match and the match armorer will inspect your gun and insure it is safe. The GSSF website will have the details for matches near your location.

You don't need to be a GSSF member or actually shoot the match, but as long as you're there, you might as well.
Old October 18, 2018, 10:35 PM   #9
Snuffy308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chui View Post
Perhaps you do; perhaps you don’t - know that the trigger takeup is part of the inherent (designed) safety of the system.

Little take up (so-called “no take up”) requires an external safety.

Get a 1911...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
^^^
This
Never considered a glock any sort of target pistol. It's made to fight with.
Old October 18, 2018, 11:13 PM   #10
amd6547

I haven’t tried the 19X trigger, but I have a lot of trigger time on third gen Glock’s, and I like the Glock trigger a lot.
Watched a mrgunsandgear vid on the 19X today and he stated he thought it had the best Glock trigger yet.
Old October 18, 2018, 11:30 PM   #11
sakata8242

Quote:
It is sort of like shooting a nice action on a revolver..double action.
That sounds like an improvement ������
Old October 18, 2018, 11:32 PM   #12
Uncle Malice

I will say that my 19X trigger is notably longer than my Gen4 19/26 triggers. I actually put an Overwatch TAC trigger in it today, which helped the FEEL of the trigger a bit, but it's still pretty long compared to my gen4. This is my only experience with the gen5 trigger changes, so I don't know if they're all like this. I might get to the range tomorrow to try it out. If they have some gen5's there I'll try to check them out and see how they compare.

I like the 19X a lot, but I can def say I like like my gen4 trigger better at this point - but it does have a LOT more rounds through it, so that could have something to do with it.
Old October 18, 2018, 11:43 PM   #13
TunnelRat

When I compared my Gen 3 to the Gen 5 the trigger didn't seem longer, but now I'm curious.
Maintain situational awareness
Old October 19, 2018, 06:00 AM   #14
Old Stony

I have a good supply of 1911's...thanks for that solution. Perhaps the gen 5 Glocks are all this way, and if so I'll just have to live with it if I want to keep this one. I've owned Glocks off and on since back in the 80's, and I do have to say this trigger is probably one of the least favorite I've come across.
I've only sent one Glock back for repair since they hit the market here, and that's when the first model 19's hit the market. It started going full auto on me now and then (Ibmikey can attest to that), and they got it straightened out in a hurry.

I guess this one will probably end up in the back of the safe and not shot a lot...it's a shame though as I like the ergonomics of it.
Old October 19, 2018, 07:21 AM   #15
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat:
When I compared my Gen 3 to the Gen 5 the trigger didn't seem longer, but now I'm curious.
The trigger on my 19x has a slightly softer break than the trigger on my Gen3 19, I can live with either but I prefer the 19x.
Old October 19, 2018, 07:57 AM   #16
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Stony:
I have a good supply of 1911's...thanks for that solution.
Great Big “IMHO” here, I could possibly live with a “light-switch” trigger on a Glock if it’s intended for range or comp use only. A 1911 or BHP are the 2 guns which have thumb safeties I can live with, I couldn’t live with one of the aftermarket manual Glock safeties, although the Comminoli add-on Glock thumb safety isn’t the worst thumb safety I’ve tried, you can just keep that Siderlock trigger “button” safety! If I’m wearing one of my Glocks, I need to leave the trigger alone, save for a little polishing of the striker interfaces. But that’s just me, YMMV and that’s fine.

Last edited by JDBerg; October 19, 2018 at 08:08 AM.
Old October 19, 2018, 08:34 AM   #17
Old Stony

If the rain holds off, I might get out and put a couple hundred more rounds through the 19x and see if it is getting any better. I seem to have it lightened up enough, just don't care for the long take up before it actually does anything.
Old October 19, 2018, 09:56 AM   #18
Cheapshooter

Quote:
It is sort of like shooting a nice action on a revolver..double action
And that's supposed to be something bad???
Quote:
If a guy wants to try for a little accuracy, you really have to work at it...
With any gun. Weather you screw around with the designed in safety features or not.
But what kind of accuracy? One hole 25 yard groups is about as far from what any Glock, and other similar guns are made for as a Prius in the Daytona 500!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 19, 2018, 11:56 AM   #19
Old Stony

It was raining some, but still got a little shooting in. I shot all these at 7 yds. offhand. 17 rounds into each of the larger targets, and 10 rounds at each of the smaller targets, all with 115 gr. fmj's.
I still need to tweak the sights a little more to the right. The long trigger pull tends to make a guy shoot a little low while holding it offhand, but I guess it would do better off of a rest.
I shoot hogs fairly regularly in traps through the summer, and need enough accuracy to hit them between the eyes generally up to about 15 yds. max.
I have other semi's that will definitely group better than this glock, but it is fun to shoot at least.
Old October 19, 2018, 07:49 PM   #20
Ibmikey

Stony. I think the whole issue is hopeless and you should ship that junky pistol to me just to frustrate me...I promise I will use the finest profanity ( learned some new words on the evening movie) on that pistol before stroking the loooong trigger through.
Old October 20, 2018, 03:25 AM   #21
Old Stony

All yours...but you gotta come pick it up..
Old October 20, 2018, 09:04 AM   #22
JDBerg

OK, you don’t like the trigger takeup on that 19x but you are shooting it fine, the groups are there. I’m assuming you are right handed so you might try a stronger grip force with your support hand to solve the low-left drift in your shot pattern, that might help get your shots right on the meatball!
Old October 20, 2018, 06:31 PM   #23
Old Stony

I drifted the sight over and centered things up...went to the range and tried another 150 rounds of ammo on paper and steel targets...but it just isn't going to make the grade for me. I like all my other Glocks and have safes with lots of other brands, but this one just isn't going to cut it. I cleaned it up and shoved it in the back of one of my safes. Maybe some day I'll find a use for it.
Old October 20, 2018, 06:31 PM   #24
O4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBerg View Post
OK, you don’t like the trigger takeup on that 19x but you are shooting it fine, the groups are there. I’m assuming you are right handed so you might try a stronger grip force with your support hand to solve the low-left drift in your shot pattern, that might help get your shots right on the meatball!
I agree.

I have the same shot placement as posted in the picture when shooting with my "natural" grip. When I make myself correct my grip by applying a tighter grip with my support hand the shots center up on the target.
Old October 22, 2018, 07:19 AM   #25
Ibmikey

O4L, His shot placement is not the issue as a drift to the right resolved that problem, the trigger is his only complaint about the pistol. Apparently, even after the Apex modification the trigger pull is unacceptably unpleasant for Stony’s Liking, having a great amount of travel prior to breaking. I am quite aware of Stony’s ability with a handgun and can say problems with technique is a nonexistent issue with him.
Closed Thread