The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 10, 2018, 11:52 AM   #26
davidsog

Quote:
Plus for a gun so small, the ergos are great, it's very shootable with a good trigger and great sights.
That was the huge selling point for me. Pocket pistols are limited by the engineering of being a pocket pistol that the ergos are horrible when compared to a full sized combat pistol. Many of them have sights that are designed for Muzzle contact or extreme close quarters and are horrible for normal pistol distances.

The single stacks offer revolver capacity and concealability without revolver reliability. The double stacks do not offer enough of a concealability advantage over the H&K.

To get the concealability I wanted forced me to consider single stack .380's.

The only pistol I found with the concealability I wanted with a combat capability comparable to my H&K was the SIG P365.

It allows me to have the concealability of a pocket pistol with the ability to engage multiple targets, with multiple rounds, at combat distance, without reloading.
Old October 10, 2018, 12:43 PM   #27
JDBerg

I test drove a P365 alongside my Walther PPS-M2 and both of these guns shot really well, but I can’t really say that one was better than the other. So I’ll keep what I have, for now at least.
Old October 10, 2018, 01:27 PM   #28
davidsog

Quote:
Walther PPS-M2
]

Good pistol only limited by its capacity to engage multiple targets without a magazine reload.
Old October 12, 2018, 04:29 PM   #29
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidsog:
Good pistol only limited by its capacity to engage multiple targets without a magazine reload.
Fair enough; if one of your evaluation criteria for an EDC pistol is magazine capacity from a single loaded magazine without a spare, then the P365 with 10 or 12 round capacity is a better choice than the 8 round magazines I typically carry with my Walther PPS-M2.

If however you practice tactical mag reloads with a spare mag, then it doesn’t really matter much.
Old October 12, 2018, 04:47 PM   #30
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBerg View Post
Fair enough; if one of your evaluation criteria for an EDC pistol is magazine capacity from a single loaded magazine without a spare, then the P365 with 10 or 12 round capacity is a better choice than the 8 round magazines I typically carry with my Walther PPS-M2.

If however you practice tactical mag reloads with a spare mag, then it doesn’t really matter much.
I think there's definitely value in practicing tactical reloads. That said, I'd rather not have to reload as often and have more capacity in the first place. That to me is a definite edge for the P365. It's part of the reason the smallest pistol I carry is a G26. That said I think the PPS is a very nice pistol.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old October 12, 2018, 06:49 PM   #31
davidsog

Quote:
If however you practice tactical mag reloads with a spare mag,
Kudos to you for practicing that. No matter what you choose to carry...train with it and develop good muscle memory.

Quote:
I can’t really say that one was better than the other.
I absolutely agree. These are tools. Carry the tool that gets the job done for you. I had a specific set of requirements and just happens that SIG made the tool that met them for me.

The fact that you train with it is much more important (within reason) than the tool.
Old October 26, 2018, 04:41 PM   #32
fl_rich

@DavidSog, Thank you for what I consider the most persuavise argument for why to keep it.

"To get the concealability I wanted forced me to consider single stack .380's.

The only pistol I found with the concealability I wanted with a combat capability comparable to my H&K was the SIG P365. "

Unfortunately you also ge tthe sarcasm award.

"Yep!! Friend of mines been waiting a month for his name to make it to the top of the list to get one.

BUT.....you can buy the OP's here, LMAO. "

I guess the net sum is exactly what I paid for.

Thanks i guess.
Old October 26, 2018, 07:10 PM   #33
davidsog

Quote:
Unfortunately you also ge tthe sarcasm award.
It is a free service I offer.

Quote:
Thanks i guess.
You are welcome. I hope you get the pistol you want and the piece of mind that comes with being happy with your choice.

Old October 26, 2018, 08:53 PM   #34
Leaf

Sadly, the problems associated with the first few evolutions of that pistol have left me feeling uncomfortable with the weapon and even sig quite frankly even though I would really like to like it.
Old October 27, 2018, 04:20 AM   #35
Satchmoeddie

With any product whether it's the Sig P365 or the Plymouth PT Cruiser that is so wildly popular that there is a massive backlog of unfilled orders and people are wanting one so badly they paying above MSRP, only fools or idiots rush to buy these products. Sig has already had one "voluntary upgrade" with the P365. Any company who renames a safety recall a "voluntary upgrade" has just shown me their true colors. Whatever the color of lagalese sleaze is, that's their true color. I have numerous smaller guns than the P365 that I am just as comfortable with. Some of them are .25 ACP, some are .22LR, some are 9x19, some are 32ACP, some are .380 ACP, and some are .45 ACP or .40 S&W. I'd sooner buy a new Sig P239 over the P365. The Sig P239 is no longer in production, and it feels fabulous in the hand. As for the P365. I can wait a couple of years for the demand to wane, or I can wait longer. I am never fond of any gun I have to box up and ship back to the manufacturer for "voluntary upgrades". QC slip ups, are lower on the list than design deficiencies, but I somehow admire a company who admits, "We may have screwed up on your particular gun, so let us fix it or replace it for you at no cost". And with that Smith & Wesson is now dead to me. I carry a Glock 43, with Ameriglow tritium/fiber optic sights, which other than for that and a slide release that actually works as a slide release, is a dead stock Glock. Even Glock has had their share of "voluntary upgrades". Remember: "The baby Browning in your pocket beats the MP5 you left at home in the baby's crib any day."
Old October 27, 2018, 09:20 AM   #36
pblanc

SIG has not offered a "voluntary upgrade" for the P365. That was offered for the P320 as a result of a drop-fire liability.

SIG has made numerous "rolling changes" to the P365 since its introduction, however, including a complete redesign of the recoil spring assembly and the striker and striker spring. But free upgrades of these parts have not been offered to owners of P365 pistols that were manufactured with the original designs.
Old November 5, 2018, 12:23 PM   #37
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by O4L View Post
I got to shoot a friends 365 and found it too small for my hands, also discovered the same with the G43.

I'll be sticking with the Shield for now.
I did a review that a few friends of mine at my club did running a 1,000 rds. Bottom line for us was that it is a very nice gun, but NOT for everyone. You should really test ride before shooting. The small space between the grip and receiver for many with larger hands was not acceptable. . Very easy to ride the slide. I personally would never be able to shoot this gun with gloves on. Also did not like the hulky take down lever which would or could be problematicMy little Pico has much more room for a better grip. As far as reliability, it did fine. A little snappy, similar to the Ruger LC9S but not quite as much muzzle flip.
One of the group, a female liked the gun and bought one.
Old November 5, 2018, 02:56 PM   #38
OhioGuy

I've had a few opportunities to shoot a P365. On its own merit, I found it to be a pretty nice gun, although a bit small for me (and I don't have large hands). I agree with the statement above that it would be hard to manipulate and control with gloves on.

While it seems like a perfectly capable firearm, if I take the enhanced capacity out of the equation, I have to say that I like other single stacks like the Shield and PPS M2 better than I like the P365. I find them to be easier to hold and control. I personally think that if you take the capacity advantage out of it, the P365 is just another single-stack 9 that's not especially remarkable. That's not a knock on it -- the market is so crowded that it's hard to stand apart. If capacity were my top priority, the P365 would have to be the winner hands-down. If comfort, "shootability" and other factors were higher, it would not be my first choice. And, as it happens, it isn't. I'm sticking to my PPS M2, and find the 8+1 magazine to be more than adequate for that feeling of "enough gun."
Old November 5, 2018, 04:46 PM   #39
lamarw

In case you decide to sell, here is some hype for you. Guns & Ammo has declared it "Handgun of the Year".
Old November 5, 2018, 04:58 PM   #40
FITASC

I was able to snag one a week or so ago; (haven't had the chance to shoot it yet, but have rented one); the trigger is MUCH nicer than a Glock, as smooth as a Kahr, but nowhere near as long a pull. I am looking forward to it becoming my primary EDC
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 7, 2018, 07:38 PM   #41
Leaf

Good thing I have small little hands. Now if only Sig could help me become better able to rely on their 365.
Old November 7, 2018, 08:16 PM   #42
davidsog

Quote:
if I take the enhanced capacity out of the equation, I have to say that I like other single stacks like the Shield and PPS M2 better than I like the P365.
Taking capacity out of equation is kind of silly. The capacity combined with the concealability and shootability equals the increased capability.

That is why it is the only pistol you named that is with a true ability to engage multiple targets, with multiple rounds, at combat distance, without reloading.

Quote:
Also did not like the hulky take down lever which would or could be problematic
I found that a PIA too until followed the instructions exactly as printed. It is not an issue at all once you get used to it. Kind of like guys bitching about the MP-5 or G3 bolt assembly. It is different but once you do things the way the manufacturer wants and not how we think it should be done....it works.
Old November 7, 2018, 08:53 PM   #43
TunnelRat

I would agree with David that taking capacity out of the equation is rather pointless. We don't deny the importance of capacity in a number of areas, not the least of which is using 9mm relative to other calibers, and there's no reason to ignore it here. When I compare my Glock 26 with its 12 rd mags to a P365 with the 12 rd mag I still am left scratching my head. It's impressive. If you want to carry other pistols I take no issue, but if you're going to compare something to the P365 you can't ignore capacity.

Old November 8, 2018, 09:48 AM   #44
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
I would agree with David that taking capacity out of the equation is rather pointless. We don't deny the importance of capacity in a number of areas, not the least of which is using 9mm relative to other calibers, and there's no reason to ignore it here. When I compare my Glock 26 with its 12 rd mags to a P365 with the 12 rd mag I still am left scratching my head. It's impressive. If you want to carry other pistols I take no issue, but if you're going to compare something to the P365 you can't ignore capacity.

Gonna go rent a G26 today. Maybe on the way to getting one(I have a 'spare' G17)...

"Tools not Trophies”
Old November 10, 2018, 07:36 PM   #45
Mackie244Bud

I would never try and talk anyone into a gun.
If it's just not for you (or them) that's cool!
There are a lot of guns to choose from..Find the one that floats your boat!
Then shoot it and have fun!

Good Luck in your search..
Old November 10, 2018, 08:01 PM   #46
FITASC

Quote:
Good thing I have small little hands. Now if only Sig could help me become better able to rely on their 365.
Ones dated about the end of June (which I got) have the bugs worked out and are awesome. I FINALLY got to the range and ran almost 200 through the 365 in a side by side with my G26. Factory 115 and 124s, reloads of a few 124s; yes I shot the G26 better; but then, I have owned it for 20 years and the 365 for 20 minutes. The slight finger extension on the factory mags help, but the 12 round mags are DE BOMB!

I had zero malfs with all of those ammo choices.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 10, 2018, 09:58 PM   #47
river251

Yes, I shot one at a range and it seems shootable, but it just seemed small and I really like the Shield trigger better, way better, so ordered a Shield instead yesterday. I will try to pocket carry it. If it doesn't work out then I may go to the SIG. I wear suspenders so IWB is out.
Old November 11, 2018, 04:59 AM   #48
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
I've had a few opportunities to shoot a P365. On its own merit, I found it to be a pretty nice gun, although a bit small for me (and I don't have large hands). I agree with the statement above that it would be hard to manipulate and control with gloves on.

While it seems like a perfectly capable firearm, if I take the enhanced capacity out of the equation, I have to say that I like other single stacks like the Shield and PPS M2 better than I like the P365. I find them to be easier to hold and control. I personally think that if you take the capacity advantage out of it, the P365 is just another single-stack 9 that's not especially remarkable. That's not a knock on it -- the market is so crowded that it's hard to stand apart. If capacity were my top priority, the P365 would have to be the winner hands-down. If comfort, "shootability" and other factors were higher, it would not be my first choice. And, as it happens, it isn't. I'm sticking to my PPS M2, and find the 8+1 magazine to be more than adequate for that feeling of "enough gun."
As I mentioned, we did a 1,000 run of ammo at my club. And as One poster mentioned, I would not advise anyone to any particular gun. That has to be a individual choice and can only be determined by shooting different guns and finding the one Perfect for you the individual.
Yes, the 365 is a nice gun, but again, NOT for me personally. Not that the gun was small, it was the short distance from the receiver to the frame. I had to be very careful ot to ride the slide and we warned other shooters to be aware of that possiblility. My gun of choice is the Nano, it took 6 months of shooting every gun out there I could find that met my particular standards and needs.

Here is a couple of pics. So you can see some difference in the Nano and 365. I choose the Nano because that is what I am shooting now, You can obviously compare YOUR gun to the 365. The Nano and the 365 are close to the same size, but just a different design. Much more space for myself on the frame.

What I personally did not like about the 365 was the over sized and bulky take down lever and safety. Others may like that.

A personal carry has to be like a great pair of shoes. One size does not fit all.
Old November 11, 2018, 08:18 AM   #49
davidsog

Beretta Nano is a nice gun but half the capacity. Big hands and small guns never go well together without some adaptation. I always feel like I am going to shoot my support thumb tip on the P365 but never do, lol. I find the accessory rail is a natural place to rest it and with a little pressure makes rapid engagement of multiple targets easier by providing a solid platform for trigger manipulation to offset any dip low and left.
Old November 11, 2018, 06:02 PM   #50
Carl the Floor Walker

Half? No
Ships with 1 flush magazine, for maximum concealment, and 1 extended magazine, providing 2 extra rounds of capacity and an extra inch of grip surface. 8+1

The Sig ships with one mag a 10 rd. and a OPTIONAL 12 rd.

If you feel the extra rounds are necessary than the Sig might be a choice. Personally, I do not care. If so, I will just carry my SR9C with a 17 round magazine.