The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 24, 2007, 08:03 AM   #1
Franklin7X57

lee classic turret

Got lee kit today, started setup with RCBS dies and the powder measure has me stumped. Do I need a lee die to screw the powder measure into?
First step- size and deprime, second step- prime, third step- flare and powder charged, there is a couple extra springs in box for powder measure??, fourth step- seat bullet, fifth step- final crimp.
Thanks for any tips.

Frank
Old March 24, 2007, 08:20 AM   #2
ShootingNut

We have the Lee Classic Turret Press, which comes with a 4 hole Turret.
Did you payup and get the Pro Powder setup? If so, ours came (from Kempf Gun Shop) ready to screw in the charging die and go. Although, for whatever reason there was a small bag, with another "handle" and chain. I didn't think it was needed, and we have loaded many with no problems.
With the Lee setup and dies, if you also bought the Safety Primer setup
(which is really cool), then you need to get a "riser" that first goes into your charge die so it clears the primer gizzmo as it turns.
I guess you can use the RCBS dies, did you already have them, or just prefer them over the Lee products?
Old March 24, 2007, 08:30 AM   #3
Franklin7X57

Thanks I bought the kit from cabelas, comes with safety primer feed, pro auto disk, and the riser. If you are using the pro auto dish and the riser that screws into the lee powder thru die, which is not in the RCBS set?????
Old March 24, 2007, 08:49 AM   #4
jdmick

If your expander die doesn't have a hole through it the Lee auto disc won't work.

The chain setup is for progressive presses. Hope this helps.
Old March 24, 2007, 08:50 AM   #5
ShootingNut

Yes, so without the riser your powder setup will run into your safefty primer, is that what you are finding out?
I suppose one could only order a Lee Charging Die and Riser, and still run with your RCBS dies for the others?
One thing we found out after some use, we like the Adjustable Charge Bar much better than using the disks for your powder charge.
Being adjustable, you can really zero in to get just the charge grains that you want. Check that out if you haven't already.
Old March 24, 2007, 10:16 AM   #6
benedict1

You must be able to install the auto-riser in the powder through expander die--otherwise the powder measure hits the Safety Prime system.

If it won't screw into the top of the RCBS die you will have to buy the Lee Die for the caliber you are using.

If you had bought this from Kempf's they would have told you that. I am not sure why Cabela's didn't.
Old March 24, 2007, 12:33 PM   #7
CrustyFN

I agree with ShootingNut and using the adjustable charge bar. It is a lot easier to adjust than changing disks. I still use the disks also and write the disk number with my load data for quick reference. You also want to be careful using the charge bar if you are trying to throw light loads with certain powders. The powder will bridge and you can end up with a squib.
Rusty
Old March 24, 2007, 04:54 PM   #8
Zippy06

Why not buy Lee dies?
My turret is +20 old. And the dies. Same.
Go RED.
G17, S&W 686, G22C, Colt H-Bar, Marlin, Savage 10FP. Be safe. Be happy
Old March 24, 2007, 07:19 PM   #9
TEDDY

powder meas

you posted that you had rcbs dies.they are not compatable to the measure.you need the powder thru expander die.why did not you buy lee dies?
Old March 25, 2007, 12:24 PM   #10
Franklin7X57

Thanks guys, got it straight. Bought set of lee dies today. Teddy, the reason I bought the RCBS dies, because 30 years ago when I bought my RCBS JR they came with the kit . JR is still going strong but wanted to speed up a bit.
Old March 25, 2007, 08:09 PM   #11
CrustyFN

Quote:
Teddy, the reason I bought the RCBS dies, because 30 years ago when I bought my RCBS JR they came with the kit . JR is still going strong but wanted to speed up a bit.
If you bought the classic turret with the safety prime and everything else that goes with it you will speed up a lot.
Rudty
Old March 25, 2007, 09:33 PM   #12
lgsracer

If you are using a standard three die setup you can install this after the expander die:

Lee Rifle Charging Die

This die is used to charge small capacity rifle cases using the Auto-Disk Powder Measure. It works the same as the pistol powder through expanding dies except it doesn't expand the case mouth. Rifle case expansion is normally done in the sizing die.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...g/powhan1.html