The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 4, 2009, 10:40 PM   #1
OttoJara

Ruger Deerfield 44mag

I found a Ruger Deerfield 44mag @ a pawn shop today. Said he would take 350.00 bottom dollar. I like the looks of it and read some posts about them. Anyone have advice?

"A fear of weapons, is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
Old November 4, 2009, 10:55 PM   #2
ferg

BUY IT NOW! Best advise I have for ya.
Old November 4, 2009, 11:29 PM   #3
OttoJara

will call him first thing in the morning.

"A fear of weapons, is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
Old November 4, 2009, 11:40 PM   #4
Swampghost

I've never had a Ruger that I didn't like.
Old November 5, 2009, 12:11 AM   #5
Ruger4570

I have 2 of them, BUY IT NOW. You will not be sorry.. Trust me
Old November 5, 2009, 05:10 AM   #6
4sixteen

I would suggest buying it. Considered to be a collectible rifle for sure. I had the good fortune of buying a new one a few years back.

Ruger brought it back into production for a few years then stopped production about 5 years ago. The earlier models differ somewhat from the newer ones. Either way, it's really a cool rifle.

Old November 5, 2009, 04:44 PM   #7
James R. Burke

Yup they are all correct. Get it you wont be sorry. It will no doubt gain in value. I myself like Ruger period.
Old November 5, 2009, 09:29 PM   #8
tyrajam

Absolutely buy it! I bought one 2 years ago and its my primary deer rifle. I load a 240gr xtp over a healthy dose of Lil'gun and put a vintage redfield scope on, and it shoots 1" at 75 yards. It will also be the first gun my kids deer hunt with because its short, light, and recoil is nonexistant. Great, great gun!
Old November 5, 2009, 09:53 PM   #9
OttoJara

I went back to the shop tonight, and it's NOT a Deerfield or atleast it doesn't say it on the gun. It is a Ruger Carbine 44 mag. It has a tubular four round mag that is bottom fed. It is also sitting next to me on the dinning room table. I love the feel of this little zombie killer. One plus came with it also, a box of Remington 240 gr. SJH, and a box of Fed Hydra-shok 240gr. I couldn't be happier. Thanks for the advice. Pics to come I suck at taking gun pics.

Old November 5, 2009, 10:20 PM   #10
OHW

You might find this tutorial helpful.

http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/ig/...Carbines-1.htm

Let us know if you have an early or late model.
Old November 5, 2009, 11:30 PM   #11
4sixteen

Glad to hear you snagged that one before it got away. An effective short range hunting round, it sure hits hard without much recoil. A lot to be said about the stopping power of a 44.
Old November 6, 2009, 12:28 AM   #12
bamaranger

still a dandy

The early tube feed models are still great carbines.
They are actually a little lighter than the later mag fed versions. I have seen some early models, that had been shot a LOT, with broken internals. It wouldn't hurt to load it down a tad if you are going to shoot it much. Not to say they aren't safe or durable, they're just not making any parts for them, ya know.

The only real draw back to the early tube models is that they have a very slow twist rate, 1-38", which is not conducive to best accuracy. Consider that S&W and Ruger revolver twist rates are about twice that, and you gotta wonder what Bill Ruger was thinking about when he selected 1-38. When Ruger redid the carbine, as well as the lever gun and bolt rifle a few years back in .44mag, they selected 1-20", basically admitting their mistake on the early tube guns.

What this means, usually, is that the early guns give fair accuracy w/ 240 gr bullets, but anything heavier, which is popular these days, is a roll of the dice. I have two, and neither shoot 240's with acceptable accuracy to suit me, about 6" at 100 yds. I run mine w/ 180's and 200's, which makes all the difference in the world, giving about 3" at 100. The 180 are little light for deer, expanding dramatically and sometimes not exiting, the 200 are a good mix of expansion, penteration and accuracy.

Congrats on a good buy.
Old November 6, 2009, 04:21 AM   #13
tyrajam

Congrats! Mine isn't the deerfield wither, and I'm glad. The origional m44 carbine, like yours and mine, looks like a 10/22, but without a clip. The newer deerfields look, and function, more like the mini14, which I never cared for. Smile, you got a great deal!
Old November 6, 2009, 09:50 AM   #14
bamaranger

one more time

One of the criticism's of these carbines was the short sight radius. I put a set of XS sights on one of mine, and filled the factory rear sight slot w/ a blank.
The carbine keeps its sleek, handy look and lines, but gains about twice the sight radius, which is notable. With 50yr +eyes, I shoot peeps much better than the rear blade iron sights these days, much the pity.

I have seen stocks damaged on these guns and in fact thats how I got one of mine, guy couldn't find a replacement. I made a fix, so far so good. There is an outfit that supposedly sells fiberglass/syn stocks, but they're more than I
paid for any of my complete carbines. I do have a rather clunky semi-inlet stock if anybody is interested.
Old November 6, 2009, 12:08 PM   #15
skidooman603

I just bought one for a friend on GunBroker for double what you paid. I wouldn't have paid that for it but it was what he wanted. That said you got a super buy!
Old November 6, 2009, 02:09 PM   #16
bapfreak

Great short range hunting rifle. Get it now. I can't believe Ruger stopped making these.
Old November 8, 2009, 01:25 AM   #17
OttoJara

I haven't been able to put it down, my wife thinks I'm nuts. This rifle just feels right. I haven't been able to shoot it yet, I've worked everyday since I bought it, and we are working on a house we just got on a short sale that needs alot of work. Maybe next weekend, I hope to get out to at least an indoor range. Thanks for all the support, I wouldn't have rushed out to get it if it wasn't for you guys.

Old November 8, 2009, 03:36 AM   #18
T. O'Heir

"...Ruger Carbine 44 Mag..." Close enough. Handy little 100 yard deer rifles. Factory sights are poor, but good sights can be had here for a reasonable price. http://www.williamsgunsight.com/ WGRS series.
Or a low magnification scope.
It's not an M1 Carbine, but it does have the handiness of one.
"...my wife thinks I'm nuts..." She think that anyway? Under no circumstances should you let her shoot it. You'll lose it.
"...wouldn't have rushed out to get it if it wasn't for you guys..." There's nothing like spending somebody else's money.
Old November 8, 2009, 07:49 PM   #19
TriumphGuy

Quote:
"...Ruger Carbine 44 Mag..." Close enough. Handy little 100 yard deer rifles. Factory sights are poor, but good sights can be had here for a reasonable price. http://www.williamsgunsight.com/ WGRS series.
A set of Tech-Sights (http://www.tech-sights.com/) for a 10/22 will fit also, if you like that kind of thing. Very nice setup for a carbine.
Old July 5, 2010, 11:16 PM   #20
OttoJara

Well it's been a while since I bought the 44 mag. and since then, my son shot his first hog with it. That being said, I was talking to a buddy, and we are talking about a trade. The Ruger 44mag. for a ported Marlin 45/70 guide gun. I have had a stiffy for the guide gun for a while, I think it'll drop hogs just as well, and then some. Both guns are in very good shape, should I do an even trade or should I try to get some cash for ammo for that thing too.

Old July 5, 2010, 11:33 PM   #21
TriumphGuy

An 1895G in good shape will run you about $500 used. I'd say it's more than an even trade for your deerfield.
Old July 5, 2010, 11:42 PM   #22
OttoJara

I had the ruger at the gun show this past weekend and was asking $500.00 for it. One guy took my # and several dealers told me that I was asking the right price. The Ruger is not a Deerfield it's an older model that is tube fed. I am thinking an even trade is good for both sides.

Old July 6, 2010, 02:06 AM   #23
jgcoastie

Marlin still makes 1895's

Ruger don't make .44 Carbines/Deerfields anymore

Keep the Ruger and save up for a different 1895. A used 1895 in decent shape will run around $500 if you're patient enough to wait for it.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old July 6, 2010, 03:05 AM   #24
natman

Quote:
The Ruger 44mag. for a ported Marlin 45/70 guide gun.
Ask yourself why he wants to get rid of the Marlin.

Probably because he shot it without ear protection. They are LOUD.
Old July 6, 2010, 07:31 AM   #25
OttoJara

He's not the one that started the conversation. He asked if I went to the gun show and I told him I took the Ruger. Told him I was asking $500.00 and then said some thing about the Guild Gun.