The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 3, 2012, 04:18 PM   #1
Coach Z

Sight removal and installation tool

I'm looking for a universal (well within reason) sight removal and installation tool to change the sights on my 1911, glocks, and walther semis. I'm a bit flustered with the many choices I've sen at brownells, midway etc. Anyone have one that they have used and like? If its a quality tool that will last I'm willing to spend a few hundred on it. Thanks
Old June 3, 2012, 05:42 PM   #2
lsbbigdog

Here are a few.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...AL-SIGHT-MOVER

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...SAL-SIGHT-TOOL
Old June 3, 2012, 08:19 PM   #3
10-96

I have the P500 tool, and actually get quite a bit of use out of it (dept armorer). I recommend getting the clamp attachment for it if you plan on doing any of the S&W M&P's. Take the time to research which way to push the sights for each model, knock just the smallest tad off of the leading edges of the new sights before starting them into the dovetails, and visualize the whole process beofre you start. It takes a wee bit of patience to set everything just right, and you might have to move a bushing from one side to another during the process. Taking a little time to study each adjustment and turn of the wrench will keep you from getting any scratches.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old June 4, 2012, 07:04 PM   #4
Coach Z

Does the screw in that tool turn against the sight? Seems like if it does that would mar the finish on metal sights?
Old June 4, 2012, 07:47 PM   #5
10-96

No, there are an assortment of bushings that don't seem to turn or marr. The only 'oops' I've imparted on a slide yet was one of the first one's where I didn't make sure of my up and down clearence.

Anyway, these bushings (both round and square) fit over a pin inserted into the end of that pusher bolt.

Old June 10, 2012, 09:45 AM   #6
Coach Z

Bought the 500

Really pleased with this addition to the work bench, thanks for the suggestion.

I swapped out the stock sights on my PPS for Meprolights

Old June 10, 2012, 02:58 PM   #7
10-96

Glad it worked well for you. Before all your shooting friends find out you have that thing- I'd like to suggest ordering one of these when they come back into stock: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...sal-Sight-Tool It's the Hold Down Clamp I'm refering to. Those things sure prevent the frustrations on some models/slides.

Oh, the reason I said "Before all your shooting firends...." is because it seems that once my buddies found out I have one- quite a few decided they needed sights moved or replaced.

Old June 10, 2012, 07:10 PM   #8
Coach Z

Based on your prior good advice I've backordered one!
Old June 14, 2012, 11:52 PM   #9
hootey

If Brownells or the other big suppliers are out of something you need quickly, look on AuctionArms.com, Gunbroker.com, or Ebay. I have found and purchased some great tools and parts this way....