The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 1, 2006, 03:59 PM   #1
kenneth owens

reloaders history

hey fellow reloaders how did you get your first start at reloading??
I never had a clue it would be so ADDICTING!!! I got my first start from
my dad he gets all the credit Im so thankfull for him he shot competition for
years(rifle,pistol) has lots of trophies also. he got out of it for awhile now the both of us are reloading junkies!!
Old August 1, 2006, 04:11 PM   #2
Scorch

My brother started me in relaoding. I started reloading for my 30-30 in 1975 because it was cheaper than buying ammo. I got real good at it when I started shooting on a team with my 45 ACP. Then i took up varminting and would shoot one weekend and reload the next. I got tired of all the work and bought a Lee Pro1000 when they first appeared about 1986, and found out why my friends were all buying progressive presses.
Old August 1, 2006, 06:05 PM   #3
amamnn

I started at age 7 helping my grandfather and my dad reload shotshells. When I was considered proficient at that, they let me help reload rifle and revolver ammo. By the time I was 10 I was loading it all, and all by myself. Dad and grandad were drinking beer and listening to the football games. 49 years later, I still load it all and don't bother with watching football on TV.
Old August 2, 2006, 02:07 PM   #4

I discovered either I needed to quit shooting or I needed to learn to load. I started loading in 1970. I bought a Rock Chucker, powder measure, scale and a couple of books. I read the books and started loading. I've loaded over 350K metallic rounds since then.
Old August 2, 2006, 02:23 PM   #5
M1911

I bought a Dillon 550 some years back, read a reloading book, watched the Dillon video, and had at it. It's not hard.
Old August 2, 2006, 08:52 PM   #6
JJB2

in the early 80s a good friend was reloading an i took an interest in it when i learned how much fun it was and how much money i could save by making better ammo than i could buy... he took me under his mentoring wing and taught me all the little things i needed to know and i thought it a fun hobby to complement shooting... been reloading for almost 25 yrs and i do think it is a great hobby... started casting my own bullets about 10 years ago so my hobby is more complete...... i like shooting cartrages i reloaded with my choice of powder, charge weight, and homecast bullets! the best part is they are accurate and reliable enough i wouldn't be afraid to use them for any reason....................

life is short........
Old August 2, 2006, 09:23 PM   #7
Ruger4570

I go way back to the early 60's with an old used Lyman Tru Line Jr. I used to read everything I could find including some old standby's ie: George Nonte, Dean Grinell, Keith, O'Connor and a host of other old timers.
Old August 2, 2006, 11:14 PM   #8
gb_in_ga

Quote:
hey fellow reloaders how did you get your first start at reloading??
When I was a middle teen, using my father's Rock Chucker and his progressive shotgun press. This would have been back in the late '60's.
Old August 2, 2006, 11:18 PM   #9
Dave R

I inherited a varmit rifle in .17/.357mag. Now there's a wildcat!

Only way to shoot it was to reload. I started off going to a buddy's house to use his reloading setup. For a few weeks. Then I bought a press used for $20 at a garage sale. My buddy bought a new scale, and gave me his old balance beam scale and trickler. (Maybe he was trying to get rid og me ;-) I bought the Lee "dippers" to feed the scale a little faster. Bought a chamfer/deburr tool for $7. Spent $20 or so for a hand-priming tool.

Later, I bought a used RCBS Uniflow powder measure for another $20. Paid full pop for a caliper. That was as much as everything else put together...

With the exception of the caliper, I'm into this maybe $120 or so in equipment. Been that way for a couple years.
Old August 3, 2006, 09:26 AM   #10
mjrodney

I started reloading so I could shoot more for the same amount of money.

Now that I'm into it, however, I find I like to reload as much as I like to shoot.

So much so, I have no desire to move away from a single stage press, just to speed things up.

The slower I go and the more time I spend at the bench, the better.
Old August 3, 2006, 11:35 AM   #11
LAH

Started in the kitchen, 1973 with a used Lyman All American Turret, a copy of the Pistol & Revolver Guide by Major George Nonte and a Lyman Manual. No one to show me, just figured it out on my own by reading and feel............Creeker

Old August 3, 2006, 12:18 PM   #12
mjrodney

And not one, but two bottles of Dr. Pepper by your side.
Old August 3, 2006, 12:26 PM   #13
LAH

Hey Rodney?????????

How long's it been since you had a big bottle of Dr. Pepper?
Old August 3, 2006, 01:07 PM   #14
temmi

About 10 years ago a friend of mine was moving back to England (no need for a reloader there) and gave me all his RCBS equipment(ain’t gun control grand). I bought my own dies and a Electronic scale when they came out and never came looked back.
I was teaching a friend of my son to shoot last weekend and he bought a box of Rem “Premier Core-Lokt Ultra” $30.00 a box… I am glad I reload!
Old August 3, 2006, 02:00 PM   #15
mjrodney

Years since I've seen bottles like those.

What's the red handle to your extreme left in the photo?
Old August 3, 2006, 02:00 PM   #16
kenneth owens

these are great!! keep them coming guys! hey,that looks like 2400 in that picture.
Old August 3, 2006, 02:16 PM   #17
Wild Bill Bucks

My wife got me started.

She told me she didn't care how much I shot, but we weren't going to pay $20.00 a box for ammunition.

She bought me a RCBS reloader kit, and I have been rolling my own ever since.(about 30 years)
Old August 3, 2006, 08:16 PM   #18
LAH

Rodney

The red handle to my left and in the fore-front of the picture is to a Lyman 450 Luber-Sizer. I started casting and loading at the same time. The loading sure was quicker to learn. HEE HEE

Still have the press and sizer though the sizer handle broke and now wear a new type handle. The bottle is long gone.

Mr. Ownes that's one of many 2400 cans that passed through the kitchen at Pettus. Guess I'm old fashion but I just love that stuff.
Old August 3, 2006, 11:37 PM   #19
Dave R

Quote:
My wife got me started.
What a woman!