The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 4, 1999, 10:21 AM   #1
Jaeger

I have one of these and it is the finest combat shotgun I own. Every bit as good as the Benelli. I would like to convert it (temporarily!!) for hunting purposes during small game season. Does anyone know how to get into the mag well to install a plug? Does anone make aftermarket barrels at will accept choke tubes? I have had no luck with either of these areas. Any help would be appreciated.
Old October 4, 1999, 12:49 PM   #2
BigG

If the tube holds 5 rounds, then the plug needs to be about 8 1/4" in length to make it a three shot plug (2 in mag, 1 in chamber)(check the math on your particular gun )

Unscrew the cap off the magazine tube, make the plug of suitable sized dowel rod. Insert plug thru that end, not the loading port. Glue a button or put a crosspin through one end of rod so it don't drop below the washer near the forward end of magazine tube. This will keep it properly in place as gun is unloaded.

------------------
Remember: When you attempt to rationalize two inconsistent positions, you risk drowning as your own sewage backs up... Yankee Doodle

Old October 7, 1999, 12:09 AM   #3
Daniel Watters

On the 1201FP, the conventional end cap that retains the plastic forearm, extension shroud, and barrel is easily unscrewed. However, there is a very strong detent spring holding the actual mag tube cap in place. You'll want a small pin punch to depress the detent before you try to unscrew this end cap.

I haven't seen a source for aftermarket 1201FP barrels, but I did notice a customized 1201FP in the latest Guns & Weapons for Law Enforcement that had a screw-in choke tube visible. Unfortunately, it was just a filler photo and not the focus of the article.