The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 28, 2012, 09:34 PM   #1
katana8869

Ruger 10/22 vs Hi-point 9mm carbine for HD which one and why?

With the economy being what it is, choices in H/D can often come down to money available. With AR'S now selling in the 2K range thanks to panic buying due to fears of a new AWB, these two guns with price tags in the $250 range have a certain appeal. If you were on a budget, which one of these guns would you chose and why? Just to make it interesting... let's also assume that the 10/22 comes with a 25 round Ruger magazine. That's 25 little .22 "stingers" vs 10 9mm's. Thoughts?

Last edited by katana8869; December 28, 2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old December 28, 2012, 09:41 PM   #2
spacecoast

I have a hi-point carbine and it is a solid and fun rifle, and I think a reasonable HD firearm. The Ruger is versatile and everyone needs a .22 rifle. I will be interested in reading the responses.
Old December 28, 2012, 09:51 PM   #3
Alabama Shooter

For HD, where there is someone wanting to cause you harm already inside your home the 9mm will provide much better terminal performance against targets. The HiPoint is much less likely to jam too.
Old December 28, 2012, 09:52 PM   #4
No1der

I can tell you that I'm going to be buying a Ruger 10/22. Hadn't planned to and was actually shopping around for a gun for my 12 year old nephew but was convinced to get him a bolt action as his first gun. It was too late as I kinda fell in love with the Ruger so what was suggested was that I buy him a bolt action and I buy the 10/22 and if he can prove he's responsible with the bolt action then next year for Christmas he might get the Ruger from me. In the meantime I get to have fun with it.

I don't really need it but it switched from thinking about it to wanting it.

I kinda doubt that .22s are going to be on any kind of weapons ban. That's just my opinion so take it for what it's worth.
Old December 28, 2012, 09:55 PM   #5
Nine the Ranger

I'd have to say the Hi-Point too, while 25 rounds of .22 does not sound appealing to be shot with, I'd go with the 9mm based on on terminal performance.
Old December 28, 2012, 09:56 PM   #6
bacardisteve

I wouldnt trust any rimfire for self defense. Not just because of lack of power but because of the primer. 22lr are prone to having a bad primer every couple hundred rds especially with bulk ammo. Doesnt sound like much but a click instead of a bang could be a very bad thing in some situations.
Old December 28, 2012, 11:05 PM   #7
shortwave

My pick would be the HP 9mm carbine.

While I really like the 10/22, the HP 9mm carbine is usually very dependable and I'd surely rather have the 9mm rd for HD.

Last edited by shortwave; December 28, 2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old December 29, 2012, 01:25 AM   #8
No1der

Most of my experience is with pistols but the thing that a .22 has going for it is that anyone in your family will be able to use it effectively with minimal experience with rifles. Also, they are fun and ammo is dirt cheap.

Once again, take it for what it's worth as I don't claim any extreme rifle knowledge besides having owned a .22 as a youngster as well as firing several of my friends rifles at the range and out in the wilderness.
Old December 29, 2012, 04:19 AM   #9
Bamashooter

I have both a 10/22 and a hi-point 9mm. The 10/22 is super reliable and with quality ammunition like cci mini mag's, stingers, or velocitors I wouldnt hesitate to use it in a HD situation. The hi-point is also extremely reliable and I would honestly rather use 9mm to protect my family.
Old December 29, 2012, 05:25 AM   #10
Redhawk5.5+P+

Flip a coin. thats the best.

TBS I like a hand gun over a rifle for HD.
Old December 29, 2012, 05:56 AM   #11
TripHlx

I would choose the Hi-Point for HD, rather have the 9mm. Wouldn't feel undergunned with just the 10/22 though.
Old December 29, 2012, 08:16 AM   #12
Pilot

Where do you guys come up with these comparisons?
Old December 29, 2012, 10:59 AM   #13
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
Where do you guys come up with these comparisons?
I am guessing a limitation by variety and choice? There are many better options than either at that price point.
Old December 29, 2012, 11:34 AM   #14
dondavis3

I just went through the same decision process that you're going through.

And I decided on the Ruger 10/22 take down

I like the back pack that came with - the 25 round mags

And the portability.

Very accurate gun.

Old December 29, 2012, 11:44 AM   #15
4runnerman

WHile i have 2 10/22's and they are very good rifles. The story is most HD issues go down at 3 feet or less i think. In that situation the rifle might be a bad choice. To easy to block when you need to spin or turn. I go for the pistol also. Not because of size,just because of ease of manuverability in a tight corner.
Old December 29, 2012, 03:17 PM   #16
Onward Allusion

Quote:
katana8869
With the economy being what it is, choices in H/D can often come down to money available. With AR'S now selling in the 2K range thanks to panic buying due to fears of a new AWB, these two guns with price tags in the $250 range have a certain appeal. If you were on a budget, which one of these guns would you chose and why? Just to make it interesting... let's also assume that the 10/22 comes with a 25 round Ruger magazine. That's 25 little .22 "stingers" vs 10 9mm's. Thoughts?
I would not choose a carbine as primary HD unless I lived in a house that had huge open areas and even then I would have to think twice.
Old December 29, 2012, 03:50 PM   #17
Ridge_Runner_5

A .22 is f'n worthless for home defense. Between the two, get the HiPoint.

In case you actually do need to use it to defend yourself, I've fired a 995 indoors without earpro. Lost my hearing for about 5 minutes, but it came back. No tinnitus other lasting effects.
Old December 29, 2012, 04:47 PM   #18
BigTex308

10/22. Proven, reliable, accurate, cheap to shoot, a million custom options available. Just use CCI ammo and quality mags

But for home defense I'd get a shot gun

Ike

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
Old December 29, 2012, 08:15 PM   #19
katana8869

I had my 10 y/o daughter out today shooting the 10/22. She did a great job! We fired 150 rounds or so with no malfunctions so I really am feeling like I agree with those who say it is like flipping a coin. I do like the extra reliability of a centerfire cartridge though..... decisions, decisions! lol
Old December 29, 2012, 10:24 PM   #20
Onward Allusion

Quote:
Ridge_Runner_5
A .22 is f'n worthless for home defense.
I wouldn't go that far.

Each round of 22LR from a 10/22 (rifle) packs close to 200 lbs of muzzle energy with the right cartridge (40gr LRN Aguila Interceptor). That's about the same energy as a 38 Special Snub with standard pressure rounds.
Old December 29, 2012, 10:28 PM   #21
Onward Allusion

Quote:
katana8869
I had my 10 y/o daughter out today shooting the 10/22. She did a great job! We fired 150 rounds or so with no malfunctions so I really am feeling like I agree with those who say it is like flipping a coin. I do like the extra reliability of a centerfire cartridge though..... decisions, decisions! lol
If you do decide on a 10/22, I would not recommend Stingers as a SD cartridge. The slightly (very slightly) longer case length can cause problems. I'd stick with a high quality hyper velocity LRN 22LR.
Old December 30, 2012, 11:57 AM   #22
Ridge_Runner_5

Quote:
I wouldn't go that far.

Each round of 22LR from a 10/22 (rifle) packs close to 200 lbs of muzzle energy with the right cartridge (40gr LRN Aguila Interceptor). That's about the same energy as a 38 Special Snub with standard pressure rounds.
And a tiny hole with zero fragmentation/blossoming.

A 9mm hollow point will deliver a much greater wound and is more likely to actually stop a threat.
Old December 30, 2012, 03:27 PM   #23
Onward Allusion

All I'm saying is that it isn't FN worthless. A 40gr 22LR bullet coming out of a 10/22 at 1,400+ fps is far from useless and will do damage. I highly doubt a BG getting 25 (or even 10) 40gr 22LR rounds into their chest at that speed would continue to move.

Yes, I know it isn't a 9mm throwing out 300 lb & a hole 60% bigger or even a snub in 38 Special with ~ 170 lb & a 60% larger hole.

If it came down to whether it would be 10 rounds of 9mm from a HP carbine or 25 rounds of 22LR from a Ruger 10/22, it would be a hard choice if the application (HD) were the same.
Old December 30, 2012, 05:04 PM   #24
Bamashooter

Plenty of robbers and bad guys will bad intentions have been sent to meet their maker because of a .22lr. To say a .22lr is worthless doesnt even make sense. Its a firearm. Not my first choice for defense but I wouldnt hesitate to use one and feel confident I could acheive my goal when using one. Come on man.
Old December 30, 2012, 05:37 PM   #25
DATL

I'm with AlabamaShooter here. I can't say I'd ever pick either of these weapons for home defense. But I'll play along:

I think I 'd go with the Ruger. If you, or whoever you are buying for do not have a good 10-22 it's the first thing I would buy. You can fire through whatever sized clip just as fast as you can work your finger. I mean, I am no badman, and have no criminal record- but a banana clip of hot .22's would deter me from committing a crime! (and I am a very athletic 6' 3"/220lb guy).

I do prefer the caliber of the High Point, but I had a bad experience with that brand. I bought one of their 9mm pistols back in college (around 2003 or so). It was $100 or so. I figured it would make a good camping/kayaking pistol. I could never get it to shoot reliably. The first round of the clip never chambered correctly. I tried a lot of different ammo. Just when I would start to think it was fixed it would randomly FTL or FTE midway in the clip... I literally gave the thing away.

Sure, perhaps I got a dud. Maybe it just needed tuning? Who knows. The local gun shop stopped carrying them and did not have nice things to say about them.

But I will say, an uncle of mine has a Hi Point carbine and claims it's pretty reliable. I don't know. I won't give another one a chance. I'd personally just save for something better.