The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 21, 2012, 03:29 PM   #1
idek

rusting dies

I'm fairly new to reloading, and bought a set of Lee Carbide Dies about a month ago. I don't think I've ever seen anything rust so fast in my life.

Is there some preferred method of storage to help prevent this?
Old July 21, 2012, 03:31 PM   #2
wncchester

Clean, bare steel exposed to dampness rusts if it's a die or not. Oil it.
Old July 21, 2012, 03:36 PM   #3
delta tide

I had the same thing happen to my new RCBS dies a few months back. It was just surface rust from my fingers where I was handling them. The inside of the dies were fine. I took some "0000" steel wool to them to get the rust off. Then used some Birchwood Casey Barricade on them and stored them inside. Just clean the oil off before use.

Last edited by delta tide; July 21, 2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old July 21, 2012, 05:57 PM   #4
Gdawgs

Yeah the Lee sizing dies rust very quickly after being touched(salts on your hands). I wipe mine down with a little WD40 after use and that fixes it.
Old July 21, 2012, 07:28 PM   #5
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdawgs View Post
Yeah the Lee sizing dies rust very quickly after being touched(salts on your hands). I wipe mine down with a little WD40 after use and that fixes it.
Same here. And when mine rusted the first time, I did the same as an above poster and wiped the rust off with 0000 steel wool.

Sent From My Galaxy S 4g Using Tapatalk
Old July 21, 2012, 10:46 PM   #6
tkglazie

I was not aware that this was a problem. So far I have not seen any rust but I will keep an eye out. I typically use break-free CLP on my dies and press equipment.

I needed a good excuse to give my dies a good cleaning anyway. The range isnt open until 1 tomorrow, might as well spend the morning cleaning the oiling dies.
Old July 21, 2012, 10:50 PM   #7
dacaur

When I get a new set of dies, the first thing I do is wipe them down with some lanolin. (lano-lube is the brand name) It doesnt evaporate or wipe off like some other things can.... I use it on my tools at work, so figured I might as well use it on my tools at home too
Old July 22, 2012, 09:05 AM   #8
cryogenic419

I live in a high humidity area and my house in particular seems to be really bad. I use Eezox on everything metal that I'm worried about rusting and it has not let me down yet. I don't care what they say about it as a lubricant, I only use it as a rust preventitive. If you have a chance give it a whirl.
Old July 22, 2012, 02:52 PM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

Tkglazie,

The problem is of different magnitude for different folks. Some people are "rusters", having more salty or lower pH skin oils and moisture than average. You can spot them in large tool shops, where you'll see a lot of tools out on different work tables, but one or two guy's have tools that are almost solid rust brown where most others are not. So the intensity of the problem is somewhat individual.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 22, 2012, 05:09 PM   #10
Gdawgs

Unclenick is exactly right. I am one of those guys with ruster hands. My hands seem like they are always sweaty. Anytime I touch a black gun, I always wipe it down before putting it away. If I don't, it will have some surface rust on it after a short while. Same thing with the Lee resizing dies. If I touch them and don't wipe them down when I'm done, they'll be rusty in a matter of a few days.
Old July 22, 2012, 06:30 PM   #11
mrawesome22

I've resorted to latex gloves.

Even brass I touch tarnishes in short order. I drink my share of beer and I've come to the conclusion it's caused from all the salt.

Sent from HenseMod6.
Old July 22, 2012, 06:54 PM   #12
BDS-THR

Quote:
Originally Posted by idek
bought a set of Lee Carbide Dies about a month ago. I don't think I've ever seen anything rust so fast in my life.

Is there some preferred method of storage to help prevent this?
I tumble my Lee dies in walnut media treated with NuFinish polish. It removes surface rust and leaves residual polish on the surface to prevent rusting. If your dies are clean already, you could try polishing the surface with NuFinish only.

Here's a particularly badly rusted set of Lee dies I cleaned/polished for a friend and it is still shiny after a year - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=586563

Before:

After cleaning/polishing:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DieE4.jpg (53.2 KB, 90 views)
Old July 22, 2012, 08:22 PM   #13
tkglazie

wow, I learned something here alright. I had no idea the individual handler could contribute to rusting due to their particular chemistry.
Old July 22, 2012, 09:08 PM   #14
Gdawgs

I never thought of tumbling them. Those turned out really nice!