The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 7, 2010, 03:35 PM   #1
300magman

One stop shopping for all reloading needs

Can anyone recommend such a place to me....and DO NOT say Midway USA. or ask me to explain why. ... Thanks

But after saying that, if another place exists which is basically identical to Midway in terms of what they sell, that would be close to ideal.
Old December 7, 2010, 03:39 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Graff and sons.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 7, 2010, 03:39 PM   #3
oneounceload

I like Graf's, Brownell's, Gamaliel, among a few others
Old December 7, 2010, 03:48 PM   #4
nodlenor

You might try Natchez or Midsouth.
Old December 7, 2010, 04:40 PM   #5
CPTMurdoc30

I use midsouth and I have started using wideners .

http://www.wideners.com/

Wideners has the best price on primers with Wolf primers. I know bench guys that shoot 1k yards switching to them from Federal and CCI BR primers and not seeing any loss in accuracy.

Last edited by CPTMurdoc30; December 7, 2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old December 7, 2010, 04:58 PM   #6
mumbo719

+1 for Natchez

http://www.natchezss.com/
Old December 7, 2010, 05:23 PM   #7
Kevin Rohrer

Midsouth Shooters Supply. Or, if you are in Ohio: Sportsmen's Den.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old December 7, 2010, 05:43 PM   #8
noylj

I go:
MidwayUSA
Natchez
Cheaper than Dirt
Grafs
Widener
Midsouth
Cabela's
Sportsman's Warehouse
Old December 7, 2010, 06:59 PM   #9
srsmith

Recob's Target Shop
http://www.recobstargetshop.com/

-steve
Old December 8, 2010, 10:46 AM   #10
Locoweed

Sinclair has a huge selection of Redding dies (probably the entire line) as well as some others. Sinclair is now owned by Brownells but they still publish their own catalog.
Old December 8, 2010, 10:55 AM   #11
golfballshootr

Gene Sears Supply in El Reno, OK.

Knowledgeable and friendly folks.
Old December 8, 2010, 11:08 AM   #12
Memnok

I can't believe Powder Valley has not already been posted up. I just ordered primers & powder and got free shipping and no haz-mat fee.
That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. - Thomas Jefferson
Old December 8, 2010, 08:38 PM   #13
FtrPilot

I have used:
Grafs
MidwayUSA
Midsouth
Cabela's
Sportsman's Warehouse
Powder Valley
Montana Gold for bullets
Precision Delta for bullets
Starline for brass

All have provided excellent service.

The only issue I have had is with MidwayUSA. When ordering powder and primers, MidwayUSA doubles the hazmat fee and adds additional handling fees. The first time is saw this on the order confirmation page, I canceled the order. For everything except powder and primers, MidwayUSA service has been excellent. Of note, every time I have purchased items from MidwayUSA, I have been able to find an on-line coupon code for $5 to $10, which normally covers shipping.

A couple of weeks back, Grafs ran a special of no hazmat fee when ordering 16lbs or more of powder. I am well stocked for next year.
Old December 8, 2010, 09:10 PM   #14
300magman

My only problem with midway usa is that those nazi bastards discriminate against Canadians.... First of all they have stores in roughly 9 foreign countries but none in Canada. (So its not as if they are completely unfamiliar with doing business outside of the US)
What's more, if you call from Canada thier phone system recognizes your area code and automatically hangs up.
And if you are in America, but try to pay with a credit card (which uses US funds) but was issued in Canada, they cancel the payment.
Also if you pay by ANY method, and have your goods shipped to a parcel holding company. They cancel the order and send you a nasty message that actually includes the phrase > "Our goods are excusively for the use of US citizens and are not to be sold to, shipped to, or used by Canadians"

(FYI parcel holding companies are very common, many Canadians that live near the border do use them; so that we can order things, then just drive across the border and pick them up. Paying the required duty and import fees of course) ... Its practically a necessity for obtaining high end shooting gear, performance auto parts, and several other items that are hard to find here.

..... There, I've had my rant!
Old December 8, 2010, 09:31 PM   #15
aaalaska

Reloading

I use Midsouth
Wideners
Powder valley
once in awhile Cabelas for sale items.
Alex
Old December 8, 2010, 11:25 PM   #16
Ideal Tool

Hello, If you have a taste for black powder guns, single shot or cowboy types, moulds, dies, tools etc. Buffalo Arms Co. is a good one. Good sorce for hard to find odd ball brass and dies also.
Old December 9, 2010, 07:42 AM   #17
Qtiphky

I have had fantastic luck with Midway and Cabela's surprisingly. Cabelas seems to have gotten real aggressive with their online pricing and both of them ship real quickly. I don't order powder or primers online anymore because of the hazmat fees, I buy them locally or when I am on the road. I noticed the extra charges too and what it was was powders or primers coming from two different locations. A Hodgon powder and an Alliant powder, each had to get their fees, that may be why they double them as they ship from the factory.

Also, with the Canadian issue, maybe there is some sort of NAFTA agreement or BATF agreement that doesn't allow them to ship/sell to Canada? Seems weird to me, but just throwing it out there. Or maybe they got blacklisted from the Canadian side of the border and that is why they can't. Have you asked them why they can't/won't?
Old December 9, 2010, 03:27 PM   #18
300magman

Well, I actually have two responses from Midway. The first is rather blunt and rude, the second was sitting in my junkmail as they sent it without a subject line. It is very short as well and basically says "If you would like to inquire about international orders or about becoming an international dealer, please call # _ _ _"

I'll give it a try tomarrow, but I don't hold out much hope, due to what I have read under thier websites policies section.

As far as Border Issues...there should be none that I am aware of, if they are selling it to someone who is in America. I could list several businesses that refuse to ship to Canada because they are worried about export issues or other border related hastles, legal issues, etc. But they will all happily send you an order within the US, which you can pick up there and drive back across the border with. Border regulations are actually quite relaxed with shooting gear.
To bring a rifle there is only some minor paporwork that has to be done in advance, with powder you can bring back 16lbs, primers have a limit of 5000!

With Midway it seems to be more of a protectionist mindset that stops them to selling thier product to Canadians, even when they are standing on US soil.
Old December 9, 2010, 04:01 PM   #19
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

That's weird. I've never heard that. What a stupid thing.

Anyway, for "one stop" do you mean literally, like EVERY conceivable component, or just powder, primers, bullets, cases....

If the latter, I'd second Powder Valley, Inc. They don't sell equipment much at all, but all the other stuff, and their prices are awesome.
Old December 9, 2010, 04:39 PM   #20
Leadeye Mike

One stop shop for all your reload needs.

The best answer is to educate yourself.Get as many sources of information about the supplies you think you need, Midway, Midsouth Shooters Supply, all the places others have mentioned. This includes shopping for alloy (Example, Roto-Metal). Check with the manufactures of bullet lube. Get the phone numbers for Lyman, Saco, RCBS etc. Talk to the people who make the bullet moulds and products you want. Lymans Bullet Casting manual, Reload manuals, Handloaders magazine, lots of educational material is out there. It has taken alot of us a lifetime to understand all the particulars in loading, ballistics and casting. Be glad there is no One Stop Shop for your reload needs. It's to your advantage to shop around for the best prices.
Old December 11, 2010, 04:29 PM   #21
Sevens

Three things I'd like to say about Midway.

1) Ordering powder or primers from Midway is indeed a double-dig hassle because Midway doesn't handle any powder or primers on site -- it's all drop shipped and from two different locations. It's almost like they offer the stuff because people want it, but they haven't gone whole hog in to carrying the hazmat items. I love Midway for many reasons and I recommend them often... but if you need powder or primers, I'd suggest ordering from someone else.

2) Midway has done and continues to do more for American shooters and 2nd Amendment supporters than any for-profit business that I can think of. A heap of money, a heck of a lot of time and effort and genuine caring about the entire slate of shooters of every sort. Not that some other companies don't also, but Midway pioneered many of those efforts. Bottom line for me is that when some whiny end-user gets annoyed with some single screwed up order (in a sea of 10,000 satisfied customers), I pay it very little mind.

3) Half my family is Canadian and my mother grew up there. If I were running a business that sold and delivered things like gun parts and ammunition, I would absolutely save my effort and cater to the American market and just plain steer clear of Canadian sales.

I love Canada, always have, and I've been there many dozens of times. For as obnoxious as much of our gun-rights related issues are here in the USA, Canada is horrific.
Old December 11, 2010, 04:43 PM   #22
CrustyFN

Sevens I have to agree with you about Midway. Good post.
Old December 11, 2010, 06:31 PM   #23
zippy13

This may sound a little different, but unless I'm in large quantities, I go with the gun club component/reloading guy. I'm not talking about the pro shop at a commercial range where you pay pro shop prices. But, the guy with a FFL who sells out of the back of his pick-up at your member owned gun club. You give him a call and tell him what you need and the next time you're at the club he'll have your stuff. His prices are typically right in there with the popular web/mail-order places.

For large quantities, I'll route my vacation road trip to hit one of the wholesale houses. Sadly, the Yellow Pages listing for Ammunition Components, Wholesale are becoming less frequent.