The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 31, 2009, 08:37 PM   #1
Arbiter89

.380 Pistol Suppressor?

Does any body know what kinds of suppressors can be used with a Beretta Cheetah 84FS in a .380 caliber?

Also, does the 9 mm short mean the same for a 9mm suppressor?
Old October 31, 2009, 08:43 PM   #2
IdahoG36

I would imagine any 9mm suppressor could be used for a .380 acp.
Old October 31, 2009, 08:47 PM   #3
Arbiter89

Really? I am only asking because I am kinda new to the pistol and caliber type thing. I just want to make sure so when i get one and fire off a round, it wont blow back into my head. Lol

Thanks...
Old October 31, 2009, 08:55 PM   #4
Walt Sherrill

If by suppressor, you mean SILENCER...

You say you're new to pistols. I may be assuming too much, and if so, forgive me, but if not:

I think you'll find it's not that simple. (I've not owned one, but have talked with folks who have.)

First, suppressors/silencers are tightly controlled by most states and/or federal law -- and you may spend more on the license you need to purchase and own a suppressor (and the parts you need) than you did on the gun.

You will probably need a new barrel, longer, so that it can be threaded to accept a suppressor. For a .380, a custom barrel may be a bit difficult to find. And, the suppressor itself won't be cheap.

One step at at time. Find out what's required for you to legally have a suppressor/silencer in your state...

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; October 31, 2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old October 31, 2009, 09:19 PM   #5
RAnb

Quote:
Does any body know what kinds of suppressors can be used with a Beretta Cheetah 84FS in a .380 caliber?

Also, does the 9 mm short mean the same for a 9mm suppressor?
Any 9mm silencer will function perfectly on a 380 auto as long as it is mounted properly. The 380 auto uses .355" bullets like the 9mm parabellum. The 9mm makarov uses .365" bullets. You are in luck, LA is one of the 37 states that allow unlicensed civilians to own silencers. You will need an extended threaded barrel, but I do not know who makes them for the Cheetah.

But there is a problem. Most blowback pistols of large caliber let out lots of noise when shot. This is because blowback operation results in the action opening while the bullet is still traveling down the barrel. Recoil operated actions delay opening a tiny bit which allows pressure to drop resulting in less noise out of the ejection port.

I put my homemade (on ATF form 1) silencer on my makarov clone. It is loud.

Ranb

Last edited by RAnb; November 1, 2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old October 31, 2009, 09:41 PM   #6
RAnb

Quote:
I think you'll find it's not that simple. (I've not owned one, but have talked with folks who have.)

First, suppressors/silencers are tightly controlled by most states and/or federal law -- and you may spend more on the license you need to purchase and own a suppressor (and the parts you need) than you did on the gun.

And, the suppressor itself won't be cheap.
I'm not sure what folks told you this, but they got it wrong. While silencers are strictly controlled by the feds, a license is not required to buy, sell, make or own one. All that is required is to apply for the tax stamp using the ATF form 4 (to buy) or ATF form 1 (to make). Only those that import, manufacture or deal in title 2 weapons like silencers need the FFL/SOT class 1, 2, or 3. Anyone who fills out the tax stamp application properly will be approved to make or buy a silencer.

Most states that don't ban silencers do not regulate them at all except that some require registration.

Silencers do not have to be expensive; they can be had for as little as $100. I make them for as little as $20 in material plus the $200 tax. If you pick the right host, then there is nothing extra to buy to mount a silencer.

Making a good silencer is easy if you have access to a lathe and a little experience using it.

Ranb
Old October 31, 2009, 10:06 PM   #7
BigDaddy

Perhaps this thread belongs in the NFA forum.

--Dave
Old October 31, 2009, 10:35 PM   #8
RAnb

It does belong in the NFA section. That way no one wastes a post telling us that we need a license to own a silencer.

We lucked out though. We could have had someone like Harry Bonar telling us;
Quote:
No legitamate sporting weapon or sportsman ever needs a silencer. .....And, I agree it is improper and immature to post such on a public forum.
When I see a silencer on a rifle I think that it is going to be used for an illegal purpose - and - that the individual using one isn't using it for hearing protection but for some stupid illegal purpose. The ONLY reason I personally can see for a silencer is poaching or some other erroneouus activity.
There is room to grow on this forum. People need to learn to read a llittle bit about the law instead of just making stuff up. I am always happy to help.

Ranb
Old November 1, 2009, 10:00 AM   #9
Walt Sherrill

I stand corrected. Having to buy special tax stamps ($200) sounds far less burdensome than having to get a license. Good to know, and sorry I provided bad info.

Here's a good document I found on the web: http://www.silencerresearch.com/Silencerguide.pdf with all of the details outlined. If that document is up to date, it's legal in 34 states, and illegal in the rest. The following paragraphs is from that document:
"The following states allow civilian ownership of silencers. AL, AR, AK, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KY, LA, ME, MD, MS, MT, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, and WY. If your state isn’t listed here, you will not be able to own a silencer. It is my understanding that Washington State allows possession, but not the use of silencers."
State laws may add some other wrinkles, too.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; November 1, 2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old November 2, 2009, 03:09 PM   #10

The 9mm suppressor will work fine.

FWIW: I am using my 9mm suppressor on a .357 and it works fine. The .357 is actually slightly larger than the 9mm bullet but the difference is minimal (.003"). Point being, you CAN use a suppressor for other similar cartridges as long as you understand what you are doing.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old November 2, 2009, 08:44 PM   #11
Arbiter89

It sucks that they are so long. I liked a shorter version that I saw years ago.
Old November 2, 2009, 11:13 PM   #12
David Hineline

size vs sound

There are smaller silencers but they produce their quiet by means of a liquid coolant put into the silencer which will shoot out and get louder as the gun is fired usually requiring more coolant be added around 10rnds.

If you want small for a carry type situation the wet silencers work fine are smaller and lighter, if you want to goto the range and plink all afternoon the larger dry silencers are nice not to have to wet them all day long.

The blowback gun like the Makorov pictured will get quieter if an extra power recoil spring is added.

The Beretta you pictured is not blowback it has a lock but not as severe a lockup as some other guns. You can probably get by with a smallish wet silencer without a recoil booster needed with recoil operated guns.

I would ask on silencertalk.com and silencerresearch.com and see if anyone has done this pistol.
Old November 2, 2009, 11:24 PM   #13

Check out this website and talk to them: http://www.tornado-technologies.com/

If I am not mistaken there is something like you are considering right on his homepage.
He is a good guy. I have had him thread probably a dozen guns that he threaded for me. Great guy to do business with.
Threading the gun is the hardest part of the project you are talking about. The suppressor is just a matter of buying it and doing the paperwork (which takes about 10 minutes).

EDIT: I see on his price list he mentions the Beretta 87 and not the 84 as far as I can see. This doesn't mean he can't do it however. Give him a call. I am not familiar with your gun: he has a picture of some smallish Beretta on his home page.

Last edited by 444; November 3, 2009 at 07:15 AM.
Old November 3, 2009, 01:25 AM   #14
Ridge_Runner_5

Quote:
If by suppressor, you mean SILENCER...
Actually, the proper term IS supressor
Old November 3, 2009, 08:39 AM   #15
paull

Quote:
Actually, the proper term IS supressor
...not according to your BATFE.

p
Old November 3, 2009, 09:17 AM   #16
VUPDblue

Oh no, not that debate again
Old November 3, 2009, 09:24 AM   #17
RAnb

I do not think I have ever seen the word suppressor in any federal law about silencers. I have only seen silencer and muffler used to describe supppressors.

Ranb
Old November 3, 2009, 09:49 AM   #18
teeroux

Quote:
Yep same folks that call the Glock Safe Action DAO, and rubberbands n shoe strings machineguns.
Old November 3, 2009, 09:50 AM   #19
Skans

I know a couple of guys that use all kinds of stuff in their silencers to wet them down with. One guy likes using that stuff everyone squirts on their hands to avoide getting germs. It has lots of alcohol in it and has a high evaporation rate - apparently that helps to silence and the stuff doesn't get gummy.
Old November 4, 2009, 01:05 AM   #20
Ridge_Runner_5

Quote:

p
According to them, this is a machine gun...

Old November 4, 2009, 10:20 AM   #21
paull

Quote:
According to them, this is a machine gun...
yep...
but if you are going to correct a poster's nomenclature, at least be accurate.
...just sayin', ya know.

I much prefer the term "can", 'cause that sounds cool.

I don't have any ATF forms that have the word "suppressor" on them.
p
Old November 4, 2009, 11:48 AM   #22

Whatever
Old November 4, 2009, 03:11 PM   #23
Rastus

In the movie 8mm Nicholas Cage plays a private detective who carries a stainless Sig P232 with a suppressor. I know that's really not on topic but thought it might be of interest to .380 fans. I'm 95% positive it's a Sig P230 or 232. If I'm wrong, so sorry. But the Sig .380 turns up in a number of flicks, probably for its good looks.
Old November 4, 2009, 03:42 PM   #24
rjrivero

Extended threaded barrels are a benefit, however not NECESSARY. Adco Firearms will turn down the end of your existing barrel and thread it. You can then thread on an adapter which will support the silencer/suppressor/muffler/can of your desire.

The issues I see it are that the extended barrel will be a better match as you have no bullet jump between the barrel and the silencer/suppresor/muffler/can. The threaded barrel with adapter issue will allow you to use the factory barrel, but has about 1/4" of a gap between the barrel and the silencer/suppressor/muffler/can.

Threading the existing barrel is invariably cheaper than buying an extended barrel and getting it threaded.

http://www.adcofirearms.com/
Old November 4, 2009, 05:56 PM   #25
eddiejoe333

Okay, then, how much of the barrel should be threaded?