The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 28, 2007, 04:18 PM   #1
cledford

Reloading 45 colt black powder cartridges, need advice...

I've heard to not use normal reloading equiment to reload BP as it can cause an explosion due to discharge of static electricity. Does this apply to dies as well? I've got Lee 45 colt dies and was thinking about loading up some BP loads but don't want to kill myself.

-Calvin
Old February 28, 2007, 04:20 PM   #2
cledford

Also, I've heard that special "black powder lube" should be used for black powder loads - what do people use for BP cartridges?

-Calvin
Old February 28, 2007, 05:23 PM   #3
Poodleshooter

BP loads are by volume for both cartridges and muzzleloaders.
The static issue is debatable. Conventional wisdom says that static electricity from running powder through a plastic/steel measure will blow up the measure. Then again,I've seen experiments with very high voltage arcs attempting to ignite loose BP with no results.
I use Lee plastic dippers just to be safe.
There are specific black powder lubes made to alleviate fouling issues. I use liquid Alox in my pistols because I don't want to pay for a lubricator. In my muzzleloader I use crisco and Murphy's Oil Soap,so it ain't exactly a science or anything. Keep in mind I'm talking pistols only,not some Shiloh 45-110 used in longrange competition.
Old February 28, 2007, 11:28 PM   #4
Old Dragoon

I load and reload 44 Remington/Colt C.F. with a 248 Grn heeled, outside lubed bullet. I use Bore Butter as an external lube for all my cartridges. I also use some home made lube sent to me by the Remington Kid Last year. it is good stuff too.
I use 4D, rcbs, lee, and a couple others to load 44 Rem/Colt, 44-40 Win. and others with Bp and have never had a problem. I do use a lee plastic dippers and some I have made from old brass. I don't own a progressive loader, just an RCBS rock Crusher. I also have pulled over 500 rounds of BP to retrieve the BP, the bullets, or the brass, all with a kinetic puller that happens to be very hard plastic and aluminum shaft.

I don't hold with the static electricity setting off BP. I have seen the video of the attempts to set off BP with high voltage. Didn't happen.

I was taught that it takes a FLAME to set it off, this by a fire Captain that just happened to be president of the NMLRA at the time. He told me that you could have BP an inch deep all over your garage floor where the water heater is and unless you kicked the BP into the flame, it'd never go up. Not so with Gasoline (goes on the fumes)or Motor Oil dripping onto a bag of fertilizer, both will burn you outta your house.
Old March 2, 2007, 03:40 AM   #5
Ifishsum

The static worry is with the powder measures. I don't use them with black anyway, but I wouldn't be too worried about it. It's really pretty easy and they're a lot of fun to shoot. I just fill the case to just above where the bullet base will end up so that when you seat the bullet, it compresses the powder a little. I like to use the thin veggie fiber wads beneath the bullet, but they're not really necessary.

I made my own lube 50/50 beeswax and crisco, melted it into a disposable cake pan (about 3/8" deep) then set the bullets down into the melt base first and let the whole mess cool. The bullets will push out and leave the lube in the groove, and a little on the base. You can also just buy SPG-lubed bullets.

I am most worried about cleanup afterwards so I clean the bore and chambers thoroughly before shooting BP or substitute in my .45, and I pretreat the bore and chamber fronts with Bore Butter before firing them. Makes cleanup a cinch, but clean it up ASAP after firing.