The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 2, 2017, 11:08 AM   #1
Astocks2622

short-medium range scope / Vortex Strike Eagle

I'm planning on moving to Alaska sometime this summer, hopefully long-term.
I've been looking at rifles & such and have settled on a 35 Whelen built on a mauser action. I'm not asking for input on cartridge choice or whatever. I know you can only stop a grizzly with a 50 BMG or, if that fails, and airstrike from an AC-130 Spectre Gunship.I'm looking for a hunting rifle, not an "Oh Crap" stopper.
That said, I would like to maximize my ability to put a round into a moving target at close range, just in case.
So my questions revolve around the optics for such a firearm. I'd like to be able to see well enough to be confident making well-rested shots to 400 yards. I also want a 1X minimum magnification to be able to quickly place shots at very short ranges. I'd like illumination, because the times that are best for hunting, are also the times that bears do get out more, and the likelihood of a run-in goes up as the sun starts going down.

so I'm looking for a 1x-? variable power illuminated scope, for less than $600.
I think I've settled on picking up a Vortex Strike Eagle, though I'd like a little more magnification. It seems to have the least cluttered reticle of the 1-6 crowd, and won't break the bank.
Some questions for those with personal experience...
How is it on picking up targets at 3-400 yards at maximum magnification?
Will it stand up to the recoil of something like a 35 whelen?

I've got a Primary Arms 1-8x24 SFP, and really like it for my AR, but I'd be surprised if it could handle the heavier recoil, and the reticle is a little busy for me for hunting. If they dropped the running lead dots, Donut, & ranging on the side, I'd like it better for hunting.

Another question; how well do the 2-7 or 2-8 scopes do for close in shots? will they even focus at less than 20 yards?

Someone needs to make a 1-6 or 1-8 dedicated dangerous game scope. I'd think a lot of guides & those hunting the brush but with opportunities for longer shots would be all over that!
Old March 2, 2017, 11:18 AM   #2
hagar

I used a Weaver 2-10 scope in AZ for calling coyotes. The low magnification worked great, as sometimes I almost had to shoot them off my lap.
Old March 2, 2017, 12:36 PM   #3
Astocks2622

are you able to shoot both eyes open with the 2-7? when I was looking through a few at Gander Mtn, I couldn't focus both the reticle & the target under about 20 yards. one or the other was blurry. are some better than others? I looked through a vortex, several Nikon's & a Leupold. the Nikon was able to focus closer than the others, but still not super close.
Old March 2, 2017, 01:06 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

The Vortex Strike Eagle is very similar to any other 20mm front ocular scope. So any of 'em in that size will do nicely. Not very big and heavy either. The Vortex runs 10.5" long and 17.6 pounces. Don't particularly like the reticle it comes with myself.
Burris(who make dandy small scopes) says there are 92.6 BILLION reticles designs. Don't see any advantage to the "Mildot" or the like myself. Partial to the 'Plex' design. Reticle choice is very much a personal like/dislike thing though. http://www.burrisoptics.com/reticles
The only issue with 300 plus yards is the FOV at 100 is 19.2 ft. And the ballistics of the Whelen. Bullet weights are kind of limited here but you'll get an idea of the bullet drop. Use a 250 for that distance though.
http://guide.sportsmansguide.com/bal...s/35whebal.htm
A 2x-8X scope (have a 2.5 to 8 on my '03A4) works just fine at close range. Thing is if you're in a hurry you won't have time to fiddle with it anyway. Most users of variables set 'em on whatever they like for whatever they're hunting and leave it there.
"...couldn't focus both the reticle & the target..." You don't and can't focus on 2 things at once anyway. The reticle is put on the target, but you don't focus on it.
Old March 2, 2017, 01:32 PM   #5
Astocks2622

Yeah, I'm aware the 35 Whelen is not a stellar long-range rifle. I do have several ballistics apps on my phone, and with the 250 gr loads I'm looking at, I should be able to keep 2000 ft-lbs to 400 yards, with 35" of drop. Using the Vortex AR-BDC reticle, it actually lines up pretty well with a 50 yard zero. It keeps the bullet within 1.5" of point of aim from 25-150 yards, then the hash marks line up at 213, 319, & 428 yards. I could drop to a 225, but velocities don't increase enough to really bother.

I'd plan on keeping the scope set to 1X unless a longer shot presented itself, in which case I'd usually have time to zoom in and find a good rest.

I realize that it's impossible to focus at 2 distinct focal lengths. However, if the scope can't get the reticle on the same focal plane as what I'm trying to hit, one or the other is going to be seriously distorted. You're right that one shouldn't focus on the reticle, but on the target. however, if the reticle is all but invisible, you're totally guessing about where the shot is going to go.
Old March 3, 2017, 07:54 AM   #6
Astocks2622

I got a reply from Primary Arms, and they said their non-Platinum line ACSS scopes ($200-$400) are designed for up to 30-06, Ave that they would not recommend then for a heavier recoiling dangerous use gun. They did say their Platinum line is rated to 50BMG, but they are $1300... I guess you get what you pay for.
Vortex also replied and said that the 35 Whelen would be no problem for their Strike Eagle.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk