The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old August 2, 2018, 07:09 PM   #1
PushPuller

Iv never shot competition ever

Hey everyone. So there is this shooting competition her in Lincoln that I have seen fliers for all year. Iv really been considering doing it at least to see how I stand up against the average gun enthusiast in the local area. Its once a month, during decent weather and although prizes aren't given out it is relatively cheap to enter.

Are there any suggestions or notes about competition shooting I should know before I go out and potentially make myself look foolish? Iv never shot competition and didn't even consider it until recently.

This is the event
https://rockyourglocklincoln.weebly.com/
Old August 2, 2018, 07:41 PM   #2
AzShooter

The Glock matches I've attended have been fun and challenging but not too difficult for a raw beginner. Bring 200 rounds of ammo. If you've got them bring extra magazines and a holster although at most of their matches holsters are not required but you need a range bag to keep your pistol secure between stages.

Go to have fun, learn for the next match and ask a lot of questions. You will meet some great people.
Old August 2, 2018, 08:17 PM   #3
egd

There are different types of competition and different requirements for equipment, shooting rules, etc. Tell us what type of shoot this is.
Old August 2, 2018, 09:08 PM   #4
Eazyeach

That looks fun. Don’t worry about looking foolish most shooters are over eager to share their knowledge and experience with you. You will probably not even have to ask any questions.

The only place I’ve had more unsolicited advice than a shooting range is a golf range.
Old August 3, 2018, 06:03 AM   #5
David R

Just go and have fun.

David

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old August 3, 2018, 10:20 AM   #6
44caliberkid

I have been in shooting competitions since Cub Scout matches when I was 9 years old. I'm always changing interests or disciplines, bullseye target, black powder rifle, combat pistol, cowboy action and military high power. Any match flier usually has a contact phone number or email. Call that guy. Find out how much ammo to bring, how many magazines, and anything else. When you get there you will be warmly welcomed as the new guy. Anything you need, someone will loan it to you. If you have a mechanical failure, a crowd of guys will want to fix it. There is nobody as friendly or helpful as shooters. And in 50 plus years of shooting, I've won exactly one match. I'm just there to shoot, have fun, and see what other people are doing.
Old August 3, 2018, 10:22 AM   #7
reddog81

That Glock event in Lincoln looks like a good event to try out. They've got a variety of classes and look like they don't take themselves too seriously. I'd read all the rules listed on the site at least once and probably a couple times for good measure and I'm sure they go over everything again when you get there.
Old August 3, 2018, 10:26 AM   #8
RickB

GSSF is probably the easiest form of "practical" pistol competition, with the fewest rules and least specific equipment.
Some people literally bring their "tactical Tupperware" to GSSF matches in Tupperware as a case, as you don't even need a holster.
Old August 3, 2018, 10:37 AM   #9
ocharry

i agree with all the guys here,,,dont expect anything but a fun day at the range

and fun is what we all are doing,,,,right boys&girls

go shoot this match or day at the range,,make some new friends,,have fun,,,and enjoy

dont get me wrong ,,,there will always be shooters that have to show everyone how good they are,,,,or how fast,,,or their latest and greatest equipment,,,,DO NOT LET THOSE PEOPLE RAIN ON YOUR PARADE

99% are top notch and honestly want you to do good and will help you out

GO DO IT,,,,you will not regret it

BUT I WARN YOU,,,,it can be addicting

ocharry
Old August 3, 2018, 11:19 AM   #10
T. O'Heir

"...how I stand up against the average gun enthusiast..." Don't worry about that and just go because it's great fun. Competitive shooting isn't the same as shooting for fun. There is such a thing as match jitters, equipment failure, etc, etc.
Read and understand the Rules before you go. And remember the RO owns the range.
Old August 3, 2018, 12:49 PM   #11
Jim Watson

GSSF is not real complicated. Pay attention to instructions and you will do well.

The only risk is that you will get hooked. One day a month won't be enough. You will try IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge (very good to learn on) and even Three Gun. Maybe even CAS, which will require not only new guns, but a new wardrobe.
Old August 3, 2018, 08:31 PM   #12
PushPuller

Thanks for all the input! I'm actually quite nervous, so I'm sure tomorrow will be interesting for me. I'm hoping I really like it, iv been getting a bit bored and have been looking for a good way to shoot that isn't lane range shooting. I also don't have many close friends that enjoy shooting, so I'm hoping ill get to know the shooting community in southeastern Nebraska a bit better.
Old August 3, 2018, 08:52 PM   #13
Eazyeach

Be safe. Have fun. Please let us know how it goes.
Old August 4, 2018, 10:22 AM   #14
Nathan

Even if you are a competent shooter, make an effort your first time to go about 80% with 110% focus on safe gun handling. Competition puts some stress on you and before you go all out, make sure your safe handling is up to par.

Every time I shoot competition there is some muzzling that seems to go on....the parking lot is the worst!

Show up like a pro. Gun in bag with ECI in the chamber. Go to the safe spot....or what ever they call it to put gear on and place unloaded gun in holster.

Feel 0 pressure to get a better gun. That is not what this is about. Often local matches are shot at a skill level that any reliable gun could win with a skilled shooter.

If your reloads are not 110% reliable, bring factory ammo until you figure that out. Poor reliability causes excessive gun handling causes frustration and mistakes.

Watch the guys who shoot well with trashed looking guns. The guys/gals who really get this have calloused hands, rust on their sights/slides, super reliable guns and shoot like a house on fire!
Old August 4, 2018, 12:57 PM   #15
PushPuller

Unfortunately the event got rained out, so I guess I have a whole other month to review and prepare.
Old August 5, 2018, 01:50 PM   #16
Glenn E. Meyer

Make sure you have a quality holster - not the cheapy felt from the sporting goods store.
Same with mag pouches on your belt.

Good luck when it clears up.