The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 30, 2018, 01:22 PM   #26
Mr. Mike

I get a chuckle When I read some of the replies here and some of you are calling yourselves old in the 50's and 60's. I will be 77 this coming Friday but I concur that failing eyesight of us seniors has prompted the use of other than open iron sights. I have a few rifles set up with the 'red dot' type of sighting and it seems to be working out OK. Of course this is for shorter ranges as I hunt in Michigan and where I hunt shots under 150 yards are common. Most under 100 yards! As we age we must do what we can to remain in the field. I can see the day coming where we will only be able to sit by the fire and listen to the younger crowd brag about the big one that got away!
Old July 30, 2018, 01:25 PM   #27
stagpanther

Quote:
I can see the day coming where we will only be able to sit by the fire and listen to the younger crowd brag about the big one that got away!
More like they successfully dropped them at 1,000 yds using irons only.
Old July 30, 2018, 03:55 PM   #28
Charlie98

Quote:
I get a chuckle When I read some of the replies here and some of you are calling yourselves old in the 50's and 60's.
It's interesting... one of the odd things about eyesight is it's not age definitive. My 20-year old daughter, who has her mother's eyes, unfortunately, has worse eyes than mine at 52. Poor eyesight is a sure way to at least make you feel old.

Many people poo-poo things like aperture or peep sights... before they even try them or learn how to use them correctly... in favor of glass of some sort. To each his own, though...

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old July 31, 2018, 11:55 AM   #29
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_98 View Post
Peeps on leverguns? Perish the thought!

I can't focus on the rear leaf any longer without glasses, but then that messes up my distance vision. For me, the solution is a receiver mounted peep. I was trained on one, way back when my eyes were much better, and most of the rifles I have that can take them have them... including my lever guns. In fact, even my tacticool AR's still wear peeps in lieu of them new-fangled dotty looking sights.

Next time you go out to shoot one of them, try taking out the center of those rear peep's, they just unscrew. Try it without them. I think you'll find them a lot faster and the front sight will still center itself on the rear sight.
Old July 31, 2018, 12:07 PM   #30
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I'm near'er to 74 than 73 and still prefer Iron Sights & Peeps over scopes. I have always found Iron ~user friendly vs those fragile gas & glass thin walled tubes with their hair line thick cross+hairs. ish!!
I know and accept my vision limits and because of. I seldom shoot beyond 150 yards these days when sighting down on anything. Be it Iron sights or scopes.

Oh BTW: I'm a believer in "if I pass on a shot because it exceeds my stern rule. Not molesting what-so-ever there likely be another chance. " If not. Hey that's OK too I got to see and enjoy walking in and out of some of Mother Natures most magnificent scenery and that alone is worth the price ($) I paid for the trip. Simply put. Deer to take home is just a bonus.

BTW: Canning stew meat and chicken instead of venison is pretty darn good eaten vittles over the winter. "Near as good as venison is."
Old July 31, 2018, 12:09 PM   #31
stagpanther

Quote:
Next time you go out to shoot one of them, try taking out the center of those rear peep's, they just unscrew. Try it without them. I think you'll find them a lot faster and the front sight will still center itself on the rear sight.
That's pretty much the idea behind the marble's bullseye--except they take it one step further and give you an outer ring--I can't explain why--but much faster and more effective for my bad eye than any peep I've tried (skinner, lyman and at least two others).
Old July 31, 2018, 12:12 PM   #32
stagpanther

Quote:
I'm near'er to 74 than 73 and still prefer Iron Sights & Peeps over scopes. I have always found Iron ~user friendly vs those fragile gas & glass thin walled tubes with their hair line thick cross+hairs. ish!!
I know and accept my vision limits and because of. I seldom shoot beyond 150 yards these days when sighting down on anything. Be it Iron sights or scopes.

Oh BTW: I'm a believer in "if I pass on a shot because it exceeds my stern rule. Not molesting what-so-ever there likely be another chance. " If not. Hey that's OK too I got to see and enjoy walking in and out of some of Mother Natures most magnificent scenery and that alone is worth the price ($) I paid for the trip. Simply put. Deer to take home is just a bonus.
I honor you for that.
Old July 31, 2018, 07:57 PM   #33
Dano4734

At 65 I now have everything scoped I hate not being able to iron sight my old lever actions but age takes it’s toll different on every person
Old August 1, 2018, 01:01 AM   #34
Drm50

I'm 68 and got bifocals 3 years ago. I have a few rifles that I still can see the
irons. The most of my rifles already had reciever sights , I can still use them ok.
In the woods hunting I don't use aperature , just shoot through the hoop. I have
a dozen rifles with scopes, all bolt actions. I sold about half my big game rifles ,
all the magnums and some varmit guns. They were all bolt action too. The most
Powerful rifle I have now is a 30/06, the largest bore 47/70
Old August 1, 2018, 08:14 AM   #35
Charlie98

Quote:
Next time you go out to shoot one of them, try taking out the center of those rear peep's, they just unscrew.
I have... I call it the 'Cowboy Ghost Ring.' If low light is an issue, that's a quick fix, but I prefer using a bigger aperture insert instead.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old August 1, 2018, 09:53 AM   #36
Drm50

If I use aperature in woods, I have some that I have reamed out and the Williams Twi-Lite aperature. For jump shooting deer in heavy cover I go without.