The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old May 16, 2018, 12:44 PM   #1
LEU

New Governors Gun Club - Kennesaw GA

Comments on the new Governors Gun Club in Kennesaw, GA. The owners have been hyping this for three years trying to get people to join. They recently (finally) had a grand opening. IMHO -I don't like the business model. They try to get you to join at higher levels of cost that don't justify the features or benefits received. Hoping to keep the "riff-raff" out? Please post your thoughts.
Old May 16, 2018, 01:03 PM   #2
FITASC

What are the levels of cost? I see a few private shotgun and hunt clubs with initiation fees into 5 figures plus annual dues in the high 4 figures. Yet those clubs have waiting lists.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 16, 2018, 01:29 PM   #3
BarryLee

If anyone is interested here is a link to their site. I've never been to either location, but they do seem to be offer a better experience than most ranges.

https://www.governorsgunclub.com/
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 16, 2018, 01:50 PM   #4
UncleEd

Seems like a first year regular shooter's fees totals $600.

After that, an annual fee of $400, which is certainly in
line with other ranges in the North Georgia area.

If I lived closer, I'd be very tempted.

Again, this is private enterprise and obviously a lot of
money was laid out for such a facility, one that features
a 100-yard rifle range and shotgun ranges. Don't know
of any other indoor places that allow shotgun.

If it's too high a ticket, simply don't go. Other ranges
exist in Marietta, Canton, Woodstock which might be
considered "competitors" to this new range although
the facilities are not even near as big.

As to some of its "exclusive" features which obviously
will limit some shooters, if you go to a lot of general
ranges, you know that an awful lot of yahoos
patronize them and are downright dangerous in
their ignorance and gun handling knowledge.
Old May 16, 2018, 02:54 PM   #5
Lohman446

About two decades ago I had moved to Georgia and taken a job as a temp. One of my assignments involved moving 100 tables and chairs for a country club event. There was a bit of cleaning and setting up of a dance floor. What threw me was it was a three day assignment with myself, two other temps, and the supervisor and I'm thinking this is about a two hour assignment. I get there and they give us specific uniforms to wear then take us to the employee break room for breakfast. Ok.. whatever. I would see that break room an infuriating amount of time over the next several days because I was informed that there was a rule against sweating in front of the guests... in GA... in 106 degrees in June.

The APPLICATION fee to this club, which was not a shooting club though had you told me there was a sporting clay or trap course on the grounds it would not have surprised me, was $20K and annual membership fees were similar if I recall correctly. All to hold up the allure of being exclusive and to support pretty exclusive grounds. I know people who used to buy trap guns on a semi-regular basis in exotic gauges that cost more than some cars. There is a market for high end shooting clubs. Most of us don't "see" the market because we are not it.
Old May 16, 2018, 03:41 PM   #6
FITASC

Their non-member hourly rates are in line with what I see where I live and the indoor places here do not have a 100 yard rifle range, let alone and shotgun facility almost an acre in size.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 16, 2018, 04:07 PM   #7
Glenn E. Meyer

Free market will determine the success or failure of this place. Looks like a nice setup. We have similar ones around here and cheaper dirt ranges out in the boonies. Make your own choices.

I see no reason to critique them.

Closed.