The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 6, 2019, 01:44 PM   #1
chemcal

Does anyone like the Sig P220

I really shoot this gun well; can it be a practical CCW?
Old March 6, 2019, 03:58 PM   #2
mk70ss

It can with a really top notch belt, holster, and outer garments that effectively
conceal it. I would carry that one on an OWB holster personally.
Old March 6, 2019, 05:23 PM   #3
Steve in PA

Yes!!!!! I own two and they are great! Love my Sigs!!

I don't carry them as EDC, but I have a few times. I'm a bigger guy, so I ca npretty much conceal anything. It's a but heavy for my EDC choice, as I usually carry a Glock 26.
Old March 6, 2019, 06:14 PM   #4
chris in va

No, couldn't warm up to mine. The gun seemed to be engineered to make it as tough as possible to operate cleanly with the stiff first DA pull, limited capacity and high bore axis. I guess being a gun designed for police use they wanted the officer to be darn sure he was intent on firing as a last resort.

I also didn't care for the trigger return spring breaking, a really bad design.
Old March 6, 2019, 06:39 PM   #5
DeronW

My Favorite Gun. I own 4 of them. Easy to shoot, accurate.
Old March 6, 2019, 06:58 PM   #6
spawndn72

Several years ago I came across a West German P220 and even though it was in less than stellar condition, I decided I needed that gun. It came with Houge grips, which I hated but figured I could replace. I had a hard time finding original grips for it but finally found them. Then I found that the grip screws were too long, so I ordered new screws from Top Gun supply at like $4 a screw and shipping was like $16. But hey, at least I would have the grips I wanted. Then I discovered that I needed the star washers for the screws because the new screws were still too long. It took several years to order the washers because I just couldn't bring myself to pay the huge shipping fee on these stupid little washers. In the meantime, I have hated that gun. I disliked it so much that I attributed bad qualities to it that it doesn't even have. In my mind it has horrible holster wear, the grip is horrible, the trigger is horrible, etc. But every time I get it out of the safe, it is never even close to having all those bad attributes. It's crazy.

The really crazy thing is...I shoot it better than any other gun I own.
Go figure.

All that said, they are great guns, but I wouldn't want to carry it day in and day out.
Old March 6, 2019, 07:49 PM   #7
wnycollector

I carried my West German P220 for two winters when I first started to carry. Mk70ss nailed it! A good OWB holster, belt and untucked flannel shirt make it relatively easy. My P220 is a laser. I never felt under gunned with 9 rounds in the gun and a spare mag in my back pocket.
Old March 6, 2019, 10:35 PM   #8
hemiram

My first Sig was a P220 DAK. I have two more now, a P226 LEO trade in converted to DA/SA, and a new so far unfired P226 SSE.
Old March 6, 2019, 10:42 PM   #9
chemcal

Having traded my mid nineties p220, I'm now looking for another. It's a big gun with low capacity, but oh so accurate.
Old March 6, 2019, 10:51 PM   #10
sigxder

I have a German Nickel P220 and it is one of the most accurate guns I have ever owned. And like my other SIGS it's never failed to shoot. Sure you can carry it with a good holster. Just have to decide it's worth it to you to carry it.
Old March 6, 2019, 10:59 PM   #11
FLJim

The Sig P220 is an excellent pistol, IMO. I've shot both TDA and DAK versions, and they both worked well for me. Someday I may acquire one.
Old March 7, 2019, 10:02 AM   #12
rodfac

I too have a German factory nickle P220 that's as accurate as I can hold it...comparable to a cpl of my Colts...say ~2.5" from a rest at 25 yds with selected loads. To my knowledge, I've never had a malfunction with it in over 2000 rounds. LSWC's, JHP's, hard ball, it matters not.

The grips fit me well, Sig originals, and I attribute that to its single stack magazine. It's a large gun, with a high bore axis, which gives it a bit more muzzle flip than say a 1911, but manageable with any .45 acp load I've tried. Sights on my early version are dot over dot, which I find easy to align at speed and adequate for precision if needed. Mine are paint, but tritium would be a far better option, and absolutely necessary for nighttime carry, IMHO.

All in all it's a good gun, but when a .45's called for I generally pick one of my 1911's, especially the Sig RCS, a 4" bbl'd, officer's model gripped, alloy frame model. The 220, being just a bit bigger than I want.

YMMV, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old March 7, 2019, 10:59 AM   #13
Wag

Absolutely love mine. The only reasons I don't carry it every day is because I prefer to have more rounds and because I haven't trained with it. But it's one of my two favorite pistols to shoot.

--Wag--
Old March 7, 2019, 11:26 AM   #14
Tactical Jackalope

I always have and always will.

Just didn't/don't have a need for them in my stable at the moment.

I had the Elite Dark with a rail and beaver tail, West German w/o the rail, sub compact, and one other but I forgot..

Great guns, amazingly slim, DA/SA, Bruce Gray trigger up-gradable, there's nothing to not like for most.
Old March 8, 2019, 11:13 PM   #15
44 AMP
Staff

I got a BROWNING BDA .45 in 1980.

Fantastic gun, smaller and lighter than a Colt Govt Model.

After you get the slack out of the SA trigger its pretty good. Not as good as a tuned 1911A1 but pretty good. And the DA pull on mine wasn't really bad, and after I'd had the gun a decade or so, I noticed that the DA pull had lightened up, quite a bit, now being about the same as a good S&W.

NO tuning, polishing, or gunsmithing has ever been done to the gun.

And it functions with loads so light the cases almost literally "roll" out of the action, AND eats hot stuff that craters primers in my Colt without noticing, other than pretty snappy ejection.

I developed a load that sent the Speer 200JHP out at a clocked 998fps, from a 4.25" barrel, its nothing to sneeze at.

Mine is the original P220 design, with the heel clip release, now called the "European" version. For some time in the 80s I thought that was a drawback, but eventually realized it wasn't, as long as I wasn't playing certain games, which, I don't...
Old March 12, 2019, 01:25 AM   #16
RsqVet

Great gun... the full size might be a bit of a pain to CCW but not impossible, the carry and compact are very much tenable or as tenable as any other "real" or duty sized gun out there. I can and have mine. If I have a full sized gun with me and it's not a 1911 it's likely a 220.
Old March 12, 2019, 01:30 PM   #17
Fishbed77

Quote:
The gun seemed to be engineered to make it as tough as possible to operate cleanly with the stiff first DA pull, limited capacity and high bore axis.
I don't have much experience with the P220, but have quite a bit with the P226 & P228. Both of those pistols have quite good triggers in DA mode, and first-round hits are quite easy to make.

Is the P220 trigger significantly different?
Old March 12, 2019, 05:11 PM   #18
JERRYS.

the Sig Sauer P220 is a great gun.

Old March 12, 2019, 06:13 PM   #19
lamarw

I have two and both are a treat. The stainless steel Model P220ST came to me as a LE trade-in from Scottsboro, AL Police Department. I bought a second one as a NIB P220R which is a Nitron version. The ST is significantly heavier, and I think a bit heavy even for a big man to conceal carry. It is a pleasure to shoot with negligible recoil. The Nitron pistol could easily be carried by most although a little bulky in size.
Old March 12, 2019, 06:18 PM   #20
TunnelRat

I asked around. Not one person likes the P220. Sad.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old March 12, 2019, 06:42 PM   #21
smee78

I have a Sig P220 Match, I like the gun and shoot it well and have carried it a time or two. I liked it so much I bought a P245, I sold the 245 but the 220 is a keeper.
Old March 12, 2019, 08:24 PM   #22
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
I asked around. Not one person likes the P220. Sad.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
next time ask men.
Old March 12, 2019, 08:38 PM   #23
TunnelRat

I would, but then I'd have to skip the whole state of Alabama .
Maintain situational awareness
Old March 12, 2019, 08:42 PM   #24
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
I would, but then I'd have to skip the whole state of Alabama .
LOL
Old March 12, 2019, 08:47 PM   #25
TunnelRat

One thing I have to give Alabamans credit for is at least you guys can take a joke .

In all seriousness though it's a good pistol that can absolutely be carried with the right holster, like most all pistols. Buddy of mine carried one for years in a Galco OWB, only just recently switching to a P228. In a few decades I'm convinced he might even own a handgun with polymer .
Maintain situational awareness