The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 8, 2019, 01:56 PM   #26
FrankenMauser

In my opinion, the closest thing to the 550 that I would be willing to purchase is the Hornady L-N-L AP.
It would be a difficult call for me, though. I used the LNL system for a few years and really didn't like it. I adjust my dies so often that the bushings are more hindrance than help.

However, I haven't looked very closely at any of the newer progressives since about 2010. So I don't really know if one of the newer options might be a closer match to the 550.
The RCBS Pro-Chucker 5 seems reasonable, but with a lot of talk about the priming system breaking, I'm not sure that I'd want to roll the dice on one.
Old March 8, 2019, 03:36 PM   #27
jetav8r

Before buying a new press you might want to consider sending your old machine back to Dillon for a rebuild.It will be returned in like new condition and just maybe your problem will be fixed for a lot less money.
Old March 8, 2019, 05:16 PM   #28
dahermit

Quote:
I had a high 9mm primer off my 550 the other day. Usually avoided by a "nutcracker grip" on press and handle, but I apparently slacked off.
In my perusal of a google search on "550b high primers" I can across an old thread in the Brian Enos forum. The guy posted a link to where Brian Enos suggested your technique of pulling the press forward with one hand while pushing the handle forward to seat the primer (the link was broken, but I understood what he was talking about). I have tried that system, and it seems to be working. Evidently it keeps the press, and perhaps the strong mount from flexing when seating the primer. My "strong mount" is not a dillon product. It is a self-made, welded, using hot rolled steel of slightly larger thickness than the dillon product. It is about two inches taller than the commercial strong mount inasmuch as I did not have the dimensions to go by, only pictures), which may or may not have contributed to the flexing during the priming operation despite the heavier steel used in mine. At this point, I am not going to deem the problem solved, inasmuch as I want to load about 100 .45 ACP cartridges so I am sure I am not chasing a red herring.
Old March 9, 2019, 08:58 AM   #29
jmorris

So a flex/force problem, glad you got it figured out. Happy loading.
Old March 9, 2019, 11:05 AM   #30
dahermit

As I mentioned, my "strong mount" is homemade. It is constructed of .198 thick, hot rolled steel. I believe that is is thicker than the Dillon 550b (and 550c) strong mount. It is also about 2 inches taller than the Dillon.

This makes me wonder where the flex originates. In the press itself, or as I suspect, in the strong mount (or both). While using the push-pull method of priming works, it is inconvenient and slows production slightly. If the flex originates in the mount, I may be able to figure out how to eliminate the flex with some addition to the mount. I do not want to make any assumptions (and certainly do not want to mount my Dillon directly on my bench to see if the flex is also present in the machine or mounting on a bench (four bolts my allow flexing of bench itself)...way too much trouble with warm weather coming, I want to shoot and hand load rather than experiment with the mounting.). I am happy with my mount inasmuch as it allows me operate the press in a standing position.

If I still had all my tools (retired machinist), I would just set-up a dial indicator and find out what flexes and what does not. But, except for a couple of mikes and dial caliper etc., I no longer have the tools to do much testing.

So, my question to owners of Dillon 550b, 550c's that are mounted on your bench, without using a strong mount, have you examined your ammunition for non-flush, or above flush primers (An easy method of checking is to use a Black marker on the head and primer to color it and then rub it on a flat surface to see if the primer is high.)? I suspect that the four mounting holes in the 550b base may allow flexing depending upon the material used, thickness, and support used in the reloading bench. Mine is 6" wide Ash boards, with the 550b mounting holes being about 3", center to center, mounting the machine directly on my bench would put all four bolts through the same board...causing likely flexing.
Old March 9, 2019, 11:16 AM   #31
jmorris

I had a “strong mount” once, I think they named it “strong mount” because that’s sounds better than “2 bent sheet metal brackets that mount the press above and behind the edge of the bench”.

If your bench and top are ridged, mounting the frame to anything other than that, won’t be more ridged than mounting the press directly to it. The sheetmetal can flex and not break, the casting would break vs flex.

Kind of like a vice mounted directly to the bed of a mill will be more ridged than mounting it up off the bed on sheetmetal brackets.

Being higher off the bench would just more force on the surface (lever is further above the point of flex) but they also give you a larger footprint that would be a benefit for a flexible surface.

All that said, to answer your question, I have mine directly bolted to a 5” trussed steel bench (no flex), seats primers below flush, if I do my part with the required force.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 616348D4-609C-450F-91E5-738465ED1026.jpeg (231.8 KB, 143 views)

Last edited by jmorris; March 9, 2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old March 9, 2019, 11:24 AM   #32
dahermit

What is that mounted behind your press? It looks to be a 3/4 thick metal plate...Allen head cap screw through it.
Old March 9, 2019, 11:39 AM   #33
jmorris

I have lots of presses, lots more than I can fit on the 10 linear ft of bench face I have in my office/reloading room, so built the cross braces for each location and a common bolt pattern is drilled and tapped into the top of the cross braces.

I make “sub plates” out of 3/8” think steel that have the common bolt pattern (counter sunk bolts under the press) and drill and tap the 3/8” plate for the various presses. If I need another bolt pattern I just unbolt the sub plate and drill/tap another pattern or make a new one altogether. Easier to take out to the mill and do with a DRO than making Swiss cheese out of the bench top with a mag drill.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7046B0F6-D97C-4D3D-B220-02987170E25B.jpeg (147.6 KB, 142 views)

Last edited by jmorris; March 10, 2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old March 9, 2019, 11:45 AM   #34
Unclenick
Staff

Interesting resolution. It suggests the mount or anchor bolts or bench top can take you pushing up to a certain primer seating pressure limit beyond which they start to give elastically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahermit
With its primer punch the same diameter as a large primer (.210), what may be felt is the primer punch contacting the beveled portion of the primer pocket
That's so, but, as you have undoubtedly already surmised, it also proved the primer ram got beyond flush with the case head, as that bevel doesn't drop to primer pocket diameter before getting below flush. So this really was a matter of getting enough force behind the primer seating ram.

Your discovery that the push-pull seating method works for you does explain why some of us are not experiencing the same degree of the problem. My own 550B is not on a high mount, as I built my bench top 41" tall and it is very heavy and the press very solidly mounted to the heavy top.

While this is not your problem, I found another potential one that someone else may have. I discovered that if I lean into the press handle to force the primer ram home, the whole press linkage twists. You can see it looking straight down from above. It is enough twist that with a determined push, I cause the handle to make contact with the handle cutout on the ejected cartridge chute casting that is bolted to the bench. I would have to cut maybe a 1/8" recess and set it back that much further to sure I can apply full seating force to the primer. I will be keeping an eye that during the next loading session.

Anyway, glad you got it resolved.

Best wishes on handling the cancer and keep an eye out for new treatments. Their appearance seems to be accelerating.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 9, 2019, 03:15 PM   #35
dahermit

Quote:
While this is not your problem, I found another potential one that someone else may have. I discovered that if I lean into the press handle to force the primer ram home, the whole press linkage twists. You can see it looking straight down from above. It is enough twist that with a determined push, I cause the handle to make contact with the handle cutout on the ejected cartridge chute casting that is bolted to the bench. I would have to cut maybe a 1/8" recess and set it back that much further to sure I can apply full seating force to the primer. I will be keeping an eye that during the next loading session.
My press also had that lateral play problem. However, when I took it apart to clean it of old Black Lithium grease (It originally had oil holes, but about twenty years or so ago, I drilled out the oil holes and threaded the holes for grease fittings and have been using grease instead of oil ever since.), after cleaning it up and applying "Red "n" Sticky" grease, I tightened the two end nunts tighter against the washers and found that what I thought was wear, was actually looseness and found that excessive lateral movement was gone.
Old March 9, 2019, 04:34 PM   #36
Unclenick
Staff

Interesting. I'm way past due for a tear-down. I'll have to look.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 10, 2019, 03:03 AM   #37
FrankenMauser

Quote:
So, my question to owners of Dillon 550b, 550c's that are mounted on your bench, without using a strong mount, have you examined your ammunition for non-flush, or above flush primers (An easy method of checking is to use a Black marker on the head and primer to color it and then rub it on a flat surface to see if the primer is high.)? I suspect that the four mounting holes in the 550b base may allow flexing depending upon the material used, thickness, and support used in the reloading bench. Mine is 6" wide Ash boards, with the 550b mounting holes being about 3", center to center, mounting the machine directly on my bench would put all four bolts through the same board...causing likely flexing.
Yes, and no.
My 550B was mounted to four different benches over its lifetime during my use.
On the two solid benches, priming was easy, 'solid', and predictable.
On the two weaker benches, the "push-pull" method was necessary to get proper seating. Too much flex in the bench...

Wear and hardware loosening? Yea, it's an issue.
You need to do a regular check on the moving parts of a press - including the parts that keep the moving parts in position. (I do the same for all of my presses. I've found problems, more than once, while just checking to make sure the proper bolts/nuts were as tight as they should be.)

The first time the linkage and ram ever came out/off of my 550B, the links were badly galled and causing substantial friction. (Old enough that there weren't even oil holes - let alone zerk fittings for grease.)
I didn't drill and/or tap it. I just cleaned the old girl up (including the use of files and abrasives), greased it good and proper, and put it back together.
Many thousands of rounds and another owner later (I sold it to family), there have been no complaints.
Old March 10, 2019, 10:35 AM   #38
Don Fischer

You are just now discovering this after 25 yrs and now you want to know a better press? This in a joke thread, right? Call Dillon and ask what to do, if there's a problem I bet they fix it for free!
Old March 10, 2019, 12:24 PM   #39
dahermit

Quote:
My 550B was mounted to four different benches over its lifetime during my use.
On the two solid benches, priming was easy, 'solid', and predictable.
On the two weaker benches, the "push-pull" method was necessary to get proper seating. Too much flex in the bench...
Were they always mounted directly to your benches, or did you ever use a strong mount?
Old March 10, 2019, 06:21 PM   #40
FrankenMauser

No strong mounts.
Bolted directly to benches of varying quality and stiffness.
Old March 12, 2019, 04:43 PM   #41
Smokescreens

i love my dillon xl650 myself i have had it about 2 years and have about 10,000 rounds loaded on it not including the brass proccesing toolheads. i sure wouldnt mind a super 1050 though if i could stop buying reloading components long enough to save up the cash for one....
Old March 13, 2019, 06:10 AM   #42
Old 454

Both my dillon xl650 are mounted on strong mounts.

Bench is very heavy made out of 4x4's and 2x8's with 2 1inch plywood tops bolted together bolted to bench frame and 4x4 legs anchored to the floor with 3/8 steel 90's that are attached to the legs with large carriage bolts.

No problems at setting primers.
There is a bit of flex on the ram when setting primers I have noticed but it has not caused any problems.
When I load I dont go as fast as I can.
Nice even press strokes able to feel the primer setting .. the occasional crushed primer on 9mm military cases.

It's a joy to load on.
Old March 13, 2019, 11:47 AM   #43
dahermit

Quote:
No problems at setting primers.
There is a bit of flex on the ram when setting primers I have noticed but it has not caused any problems.
When I load I dont go as fast as I can.
Nice even press strokes able to feel the primer setting .. the occasional crushed primer on 9mm military cases.
I have switched back to loading small pistol primers...no problem seating those, despite having the press mounted on my "strong mount". The problem seems to be limited to large pistol primers which is the minimum of my hand loading and the push-pull method seems to have taken care of that issue.