The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 5, 2019, 04:35 PM   #1
kilotanker22

Shooting steel... 270 wsm

Well awhile back I Hung a 4 inch steel plate at 300 yards. Just recently I settles on a final load for my 270 wsm. So Today I adjusted my scope the required amount of elevation and took a shot. WHACK!! Hit dead nuts in the center. I decided to take a second shot to make sure it wasn't luck. And WHACK!! This time the steel plate disappeared.

I didn't have the time to run out to the 300 yard target before I left so I will have to go find it this weekend. That 130 grain Sierra Game king makes one hell of a whack even at that distance.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old March 6, 2019, 07:51 AM   #2
zeke

We use old conveyor belt to hang our steel, lasts alot longer. Really like the instant gratification of shooting steel at distance!
Old March 6, 2019, 08:54 AM   #3
kilotanker22

I hung it with a 3/8 steel chain and half inch bolts. I hung those 2 chains from a smaller chain attached to a steel frame. I guess it's possible that the smaller chain broke on the second shot. Hopefully that steel plate lays right below the target
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old March 6, 2019, 08:58 AM   #4
Nathan

You probably hit the bolt. I hope the ear didn’t break off!
Old March 6, 2019, 09:59 AM   #5
sako2

If you hit the chain its broke. Check with your local fire department and see if they have any old fire hose you have.
Old March 6, 2019, 12:15 PM   #6
RC20

You have to sacrifice the CLANG with canvas or rubber!

Satisfying to do the calcs and get first hits.

My thrill is 1/2 MOA at 300 yards. That would be under 1.5 inches at 300. Done it but not easy and not consistent (I did have more dial in to get there) .
Old March 6, 2019, 01:55 PM   #7
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
You have to sacrifice the CLANG with canvas or rubber!

Satisfying to do the calcs and get first hits.

My thrill is 1/2 MOA at 300 yards. That would be under 1.5 inches at 300. Done it but not easy and not consistent (I did have more dial in to get there) .
With this rifle, I consistently shoot .6-.75 MOA at 300.
– St. Augustine
Old March 6, 2019, 02:11 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

What kind of steel and how thick? It's possible the steel was literally torn off the chain. At 300 yards, a 130 will have about 1940 ft-lbs of energy remaining. Mild steel can tear through a bolt. Most likely the wee 3/8" chain or maybe one of the bolts just broke though.
"...sacrifice the CLANG..." Not when you're using it in place of the 3/8" chain.
Old March 6, 2019, 02:33 PM   #9
kilotanker22

The grade 30 3/8 steel chain has a tensile strength of like 2,650. The plate is 1/2 inch thick. My bet is that the smaller piece of chain that hung from the steel frame broke. I didn't think that the smaller chain would experience enough load to break. I will check it out next time I get up there.
– St. Augustine
Old March 6, 2019, 03:05 PM   #10
RC20

KT: And wreck all that speculation? Sheese.

I was not questioning your accuracy of course. Just my comment that I seem to be an oddity that the hitting steel is not a big deal. Not sure why, I always liked noisy things.

Maybe I have gotten older (grin) and ..................
Old March 6, 2019, 04:54 PM   #11
kilotanker22

I also like noisy things.... I dont have to walk all the way to the target to know if I hit it or not
– St. Augustine
Old March 7, 2019, 07:46 AM   #12
Mobuck

The "rest of the story" will depend on whether the second hit was on the target or cut the chain.
I watched a "guest" take 2 shots at my 300 meter plate with his OMG Whompen Boomer magnum rifle one day. First shot was over by 3-4" kicking up a big puff of dust but he claimed it went right through the plate w/o even moving it. Second shot was off 10" left and cut the steel post support causing the whole frame to collapse. WOW, you should have heard him bragging on how powerful the Whompen Boomer was. It did no good to try explaining that he'd missed the 10" x 10" target with both shots.
Old March 7, 2019, 09:04 AM   #13
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobuck View Post
The "rest of the story" will depend on whether the second hit was on the target or cut the chain.
I watched a "guest" take 2 shots at my 300 meter plate with his OMG Whompen Boomer magnum rifle one day. First shot was over by 3-4" kicking up a big puff of dust but he claimed it went right through the plate w/o even moving it. Second shot was off 10" left and cut the steel post support causing the whole frame to collapse. WOW, you should have heard him bragging on how powerful the Whompen Boomer was. It did no good to try explaining that he'd missed the 10" x 10" target with both shots.
I have a friend like that. It is possible that I hit the chain. Certainly sounded like I hit the steel. Thats why I figured maybe the smaller chain Broke, because both chains to the target were 3/8. I guess its also possible that the ears broke. Maybe the first shot weakened them and the second shot broke it. I guess that a 4 inch plate is kind of small to soak up the energy produced by a larger rifle. Its entirely possible that either the chain or the plate itself broke.

I will be back out there on Saturday. I will post my findings here
– St. Augustine
Old March 7, 2019, 09:17 AM   #14
zeke

Sometimes it is better to have the lighter plates, instead of soaking up the energy. Directing the energy downwards reduces wear on plates. Remembering to rotate them front to back is also nice. Would like to have hangers on the back of our ranges plates so plate is already angled downward.
Old March 7, 2019, 12:09 PM   #15
Erno86

I hang some of my 550 steel with rubber steel hooked bungee cords, hanging from a rope attached between two 4 foot high, 2x4s --- attached to a steel bottom frame. After you hit it...the steel tends to swing for awhile. So at our range, the steel plate should not be shot at while in motion. I do not like the bunny-eared steel targets, because of the weak points at the ears.

--- George Orwell
Old March 7, 2019, 08:36 PM   #16
std7mag

I'm picking up 3 old plow disks on Saturday.
Will weld on a patch of 1" steel that has been countersunk for a bolt off of a dozer blade. ( benefits of getting a job at a place that makes dozer blades and buckets)
Will do a frame with chain and set at 1,000 yards at range i'm a member of.

Will sure beat "did i hit the target?".

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old March 7, 2019, 08:50 PM   #17
Mobuck

The smaller "gongs" hung on plenty of chain will move more and be damaged less than heavier plates hung on shorter chains or solid hanger straps.
I can get by with common cold rolled 1/2" plate hung on 1/4" GR40 or 50 chain @ 300 meters as long as .308 or less energy calibers are used. It gets beat up but seldom allows penetration even with 7.62x51 FMJ. The chain gets cut occasionally(even 5.56 FMJ will cut this soft chain) but is easily and cheaply repaired.
I'm shifting to "baler belt" (thinner and more flexible than conveyor belting) for hangers. I have a large supply of this so it's basically FREE and withstands a lot of strikes w/o breaking.
Old March 9, 2019, 12:50 PM   #18
std7mag

Well, i didn't make it to the auction today.
Put new to me rifle on lay a way instead.
Oh well. Another time.

Old March 9, 2019, 05:08 PM   #19
kilotanker22

My 4 inch plate broke in half. It was hung from 18 inches of chain. It broke in half and was hanging sideways. I couldn't see it.

I guess 2 shots dead center was enough. Looks like the first shot cracked it and the second shot broke it.
– St. Augustine
Old March 9, 2019, 06:29 PM   #20
zeke

500 Brinell plate? AR 500 steel has gotten whole lot cheaper past couple years.
Old March 9, 2019, 06:41 PM   #21
kilotanker22

Don't remember the brand of the plate. Picked it up at a local shop
– St. Augustine
Old March 9, 2019, 06:42 PM   #22
std7mag

I can get you a couple of 6" diameter 1.5" plate.
More of a thwack instead of a ring...

Old April 6, 2019, 02:08 PM   #23
surg_res

Using bailing wire in a pinch, I've had steel drop after just 3-4 shots, only then realizing how much the lead splatters in all directions from POI, shearing everything in a circular manner...

Broken in half is impressive!
Old April 6, 2019, 07:57 PM   #24
kilotanker22

I would assume that the steel probably already had a crack in it that I could not see.
– St. Augustine