The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 20, 2010, 02:52 PM   #1

Passing the torch

My 20 year old son is on his first hunting trip without his pops (that would be me...call me captain obvious). He went with two of his buddies, one of which is the son of the property owner. They are hunting a nice 80 acre parcel in northern Michigan. The kid's dad and uncle are already up there. I have never been there but I understand there to be blinds and food plots. My kid knows what he's doing but still I'm a bit nervous. I am definetly excited for him and hope he scores a buck. If he does, we won't really need anymore for the freezer and limit me to shooting only a wall hanger (if I would get that lucky) for sausage. For a long long time I was the only one responsible for filling the freezer. When my son first started to deer hunt I have to admit I was a bit torn. Don't get me wrong, I was proud as a peacock when he scored but, I was like now I can't shoot as many. As time has gone on, it's not such a big deal. My love for hunting is as strong as ever but, I feel the filling of the freezer "torch" is getting closer to being passed.

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar feelings to mine?

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old November 20, 2010, 03:24 PM   #2
Shadi Khalil

I go on my first hunt next month and I'm very exciting. I'm hoping to make it a tradition I can pass along as well.
Old November 20, 2010, 04:13 PM   #3
Daryl

20 years old? He's plenty old enough to handle a hunt on his own. I hunted solo when I was far younger than that.

Don't be afraid to give him some competition on the freezer filling part. Maybe even buy an extra freezer to fill? Seems like some years I give away as much as we eat, simply because folks want to "try it". Never hurts to get more folks interested in hunting.

Good luck to your son, and to you as well. Hope you're both able to take wall-hangers!

Daryl
Old November 20, 2010, 09:32 PM   #4
sc outdoorsman

Just think about how my Dad feels. He has me, my son and my nephew out killing deer for him. All he does is get everything ready and turn us loose. If we get enough for everyone in our family we don't have any trouble finding someone who wants a deer. We take it to the processor and let them pay for it. Everyone is Happy!!

I was hunting without my dad in my late teens. He knew that I was safe and responsible enough to handle myself. I am sure your son will think about you and you hunting trips as he sits in the stand. Don't worry you will be there with him!!
Old November 21, 2010, 12:54 PM   #5
shortwave

Quote:
My love for hunting is as strong as ever...
Then continue to hunt till that love is no lnger there.

There are many people willing to eat the excess deer you harvest including programs set up for food pantries etc.

For the last many years, I've shot a deer for a less fortunate family which has helped them out tremendously. I'm the fortunate one though cause the lady of this family processes the deer herself. I field dress the deer and deliver it.

You can bet your son will think of the things you've taught him during his trip.

I've been hunting for the past 40 or so yrs and still reflect on dad's teachings every year. 'How would dad do it?', has past through my mind many times over the years.
Dad passed away this past May so reflecting back on his teachings in many areas has been especially huge since his passing. Hopefully I will teach my children as he did his. Thanks dad.
Old November 21, 2010, 01:00 PM   #6
Pahoo

You have been blessed by having a son. I have three daughters and they have blessed me with five Grandsons and two Granddaughter. My Grandsons are now filling the freezer. One is nine and the other is fourteen. Yes, in more that one way, it's time to pass the torch and suffice to say, that it is in good hands and remember that we placed it there. We have done well ...

Be Safe !!!
Old November 22, 2010, 12:06 PM   #7

Torch update

Well, no torch passing just yet. As I was filling the freezer with freshly butcher vension I hacked and whacked yesterday, my kid called to let me know he was coming home deerless. His buddy got a good size doe so it wasn't a complete bust. After reading the replies, it got me to thinking that he is not to far away from filling his own freezer and not mine. I keep forgeting kids move out........they do right? Also, I have a buddy that's not doing too well financially so I gave him a hind quarter. That's great news......I need another deer even if my son gets one later.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I have always had a problem shooting a deer if I wasn't going to use it for my family. As a matter of fact, I have never done it but, it sure felt good to help my buddy out.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old November 22, 2010, 11:21 PM   #8
shortwave

Quote:
it sure felt good to help my buddy out
Thats what buddy's are for, good job
Old November 22, 2010, 11:56 PM   #9
Gbro

I have been trying to pass the torch,
This past season I had 3 grandsons at the hunting shack and one morning I was the only one in the woods as they all slept in. But it wasn't as bad as it could have been because one of my 15 year olds text-ed me that breakfast was on the table
Then he is nervous if I will like it
I told him that a cook has all the control, anyone that complains can be the next cook.
Then this past weekend he did all the cooking. Now if I could just get them interested in doing the dishes