The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 8, 2019, 10:01 PM   #1
mendozer

Pointers on scope rings for P308

I just got a POF P308. I'm looking at getting a scope and rings but ordering from a law enforcement discount site, so I can't exactly have the products in front of me to properly size them. I'm wanting the Vortex Viper HST 6-24x50mm but am unsure on scope ring height. They make low, mid, high, etc.

any ideas?
Old March 10, 2019, 01:30 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

24X is too much magnification. The 6X will give you focus grief at close ranges too. That 50mm front ocular(FOV is 5 feet at 100 yards) will probably require high rings too.
The Vortex Viper HST weighs 22.6 ounces too. About a pound and a half on top of your rifle.
If you're set on a Vortex, look at their PST. 32mm front lens and 2.5 to 10X. 18.7 oz and 10 feet FOV at 100.
Old March 10, 2019, 01:55 PM   #3
LineStretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendozer View Post
I just got a POF P308. I'm looking at getting a scope and rings but ordering from a law enforcement discount site, so I can't exactly have the products in front of me to properly size them. I'm wanting the Vortex Viper HST 6-24x50mm but am unsure on scope ring height. They make low, mid, high, etc.

any ideas?
You can call Talley Rings and talk to them. They are very knowledgeable. if they recommend a height as medium, high, etc., then ask them what the actual height is in inches. There is almost no consistency across manufacturers.

If you have the scope in hand it's much easier to determine the correct ring height.
Old March 10, 2019, 07:07 PM   #4
mendozer

you're right there is no industry standard. I emailed Vortex too to ask (with their rings and using "picatinny" as my reference since that's standard.

I personally don't mind the 6x mag at 100 yards. Hell when I shoot 100 yds with my bolt action I like leaving it on 8x (that one has a 4-16) because I like to see the inner circle clearly when shooting groups. I don't know if it's due to my astigmatism or maybe just "I just wanna see it!" but I prefer that. So I don't think 24x is too much, especially since I'd like to eventually do very long range shooting with this, like 500 yards, 1000 would be cool but I don't where I'd do it here.
Old March 20, 2019, 09:16 PM   #5
Jsnake711

You'll want extra high, to get that sight up to about 1.5" off the rail to have a comfortable sight picture.

Aero tech and vortex make good cantilever mounts that you'd be happy with. Also primary arms has a nice mount for 30mm scope mounts for around 60 bucks.

With that scope my rifles a tack driver, and it weighs over 15lbs

Last edited by Jsnake711; March 21, 2019 at 05:43 PM.
Old March 21, 2019, 12:26 AM   #6
mendozer

"With your setup, I would go with a set of our 30 mm Precision Matched Rings in 1.26" height" that's what the tech at Vortex said.
Old March 23, 2019, 03:08 PM   #7
precision_shooter

It’s going to depend on the rifle. Does it already have a riser/rail? Does it have a carry handle? Is it a flat top? My ARs always needed a riser rail added and then usually medium rings for me.

Also, 24x is NOT too much. It may be too much for others, but if that’s what you want then so be it. All I can say is that I would recommend less magnification on the low end, so closer up shots are not as hard to acquire the target but on the high end get as much magnification as you want. My target rifle has a 5-20x50mm scope and one of my hunting rifles has a 1.25-4x30mm scope. My AR has a 3-15x digital day/night scope on it... Different strokes for different folks.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old March 23, 2019, 07:13 PM   #8
mendozer

It has a Picatinny rail all across the top, no carrying handle.
Old March 23, 2019, 08:29 PM   #9
precision_shooter

You will need either extra high rings or to use medium-high rings on a riser rail. AR are not like traditional rifles where the action sits higher than the stock. The top of the action is the same height as the top of the stock on an AR so you have to raise the scope up higher than conventional rifles. That’s why the factory iron sights are so tall on them.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old March 25, 2019, 03:02 PM   #10
ed308

I use mostly LaRue 104 and 204 mounts on my ARs and they are perfect for me. Raises the center line of sight up to 1.5”. I even stuck one on one of my bolt rifles with a PRS stock and it works fine.
Old March 26, 2019, 02:34 AM   #11
mendozer

good to know, thanks!