The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 13, 2006, 11:28 PM   #1
aspen1964

Is the 30-40 krag enough for elk???

opinions???
Old July 13, 2006, 11:38 PM   #2
Dirty_Harry

More than enough, it is more powerful than a .270, and people take them all the time with .270s.

The question is though, can you shoot with it.
Heck you can have a 375 h and h, and have poor shot placement and not kill it. Or you could have a .243 and good shot placement and kill it.....it has been done with the .243, but I dont recommend it.

Dirty

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old July 13, 2006, 11:40 PM   #3
Anthony Terry

id say for sure at close range. you can load one around 2100fps with a 180gr. in a 22in barrel. maybe more with a longer barrel. prolly good up to 125yds on one maybe. i wouldnt push it over 100. but in closer...definetly.
Old July 14, 2006, 12:44 PM   #4
Ifishsum

Grandpa killed 8 elk with his .30-40 Krag before he gave it to me years ago. I don't think any shots were over 150yds, but he never lost an animal.
Old July 14, 2006, 02:55 PM   #5
ElkSlayer6x5

why not

it is as they said all in shot place ment aim for the boiler room
and it will go down if you keep shots at fair distance
a friend of mine took anice 5x with a 30.30 he was only 80yds out and one well placed shot remember we kill um dead with a stick and string also
this dont mean you can do it with just any cal. but a 30.40 will be fine get in close as you can and make a good shot on his heart/lungs
Old July 16, 2006, 04:16 PM   #6
knzn

Fyi

The world record Elk hung in a hardware store in Crested Butte Colorado for many years. It now hangs at the visitor center there. It was killed by 30-40 Krag.

It may now be eclipsed as the world record, not sure. But it sure is a big-un.
Old July 17, 2006, 07:10 AM   #7
Jack O'Conner

Back when my Grandad was a young man, Wyoming elk hunters thought nothing of taking big elk with 30-30 carbines and open sights. After WW2, 30-06 became the most popular cartridge among residents and is still widely used with fine success.

But the magazines have caused elk to evolve into armor-plated animals with long range vision of antelope and hiding abilities of white tailed deer. If you ever plan to have your hunt documented in a magazine, it must contain the word, "magnum", at least 4 times. You also must use the word, "wapiti", which is now a requirement for writing success.

Jack
Old July 17, 2006, 07:20 AM   #8
garryc

Put it this way, How many Elk, Moose, and even big bears have been killed in Kanada with the old 303 Brit. Same ballistics as the krag.
Old July 17, 2006, 11:44 AM   #9
maddog44

30-40 for elk

I shoot a 30-40. For elk, using factory ammo, consider only the Remington core-lokt (spelling?). The MV is about 2400 fps and is fine out to 150 yds or so. Stay away from the Winchester 180 gr factory load, the bullet expands too fast for penetration. I had one blow up at 100 yds on a deer. I shoot handloads now, and you can get better bullets if you handload.

Dirty Harry,

Where do you get the idea the 30-40 is more powerful than the .270???
The Krag is limited to around 40,000 psi chamber pressure and the .270 can approach 60,000 psi. No comparison in power, the 30-40 is wimpy compared to a .270 with 150 gr bullets moving hundreds of feet per second faster.
And I am a 30-40 fan!
Old July 17, 2006, 11:43 PM   #10
OJ

Quote:
The world record Elk hung in a hardware store in Crested Butte Colorado for many years. It now hangs at the visitor center there. It was killed by 30-40 Krag.

It may now be eclipsed as the world record, not sure. But it sure is a big-un.
You beat me to that answer - Rudy Rozman kept it in his dining room at his motel where I frequently stayed while skiing back in the 1980s. He also had the Winchester 95 rifle in 30-40 Krag that was used to shoot that record breaker and it hung just below the mounted head. Rudy said the mount was actually a "composite" - the antlers were the record breakers but, due to some unfortunate accident of fate, the original head wasn't saved and they mounted the rack on another head.

That didn't detract the specimen for me, however. It was a big head and a magnificent rack of antlers. Boone & Crockett no longer lists it but, it held the record for something like half a century.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
Old July 18, 2006, 02:46 AM   #11
samsmix

The only problem you might have here in MT hunting elk with a 30-40 is a question of range, not of power. Keep your shots inside of 200yds. If he moves after the shot, shoot again! I would do this even with a .300mag.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old July 18, 2006, 05:58 AM   #12
BlueTrain

Hunters in the more northern parts of the country, including Canada, must have thought the .30-40 the greatest thing since cartridges (that would have been before sliced bread, I guess) when it first came out, judging from what I have read. The .30-30 may have been real competition but the thing was that they both used smokeless powder and they both had adequate power whatever they needed it for. They really killed the pistol caliber carbines and the large bore rounds like the .45-70 and all similiar calibers, though they were all still manufactured (the rifles, that is) for another twenty years or so.

But you all understand this happened before I was born.
Buy War Bonds.
Old July 27, 2006, 09:48 AM   #13
Gunners Mate Guns

30-40 Krag

It sure will. It's more than enough to take down an Elk.

180 Grain Power Point Bullet
Dist 100 Yds - Velocity (FPS)=2218 - Energy (Ft.Lbs) 1967 - Short Trajectory (in.) 0 - Long Trajectory (in.) 1.2
Old March 2, 2013, 06:11 PM   #14
omeratwood

.30-40 Krag

I guess this thread is still open? But "old" ...
Like the pair of .30-40 Krag rifles that I just got. One is 38 years old, a 1975 Ruger No.3, and the other is 119 years old, a US Model 1892 Springfield. (made Carbine Rifle in 1894) re-barrelled with 22" 1:10 / (Hamik Kustom), polished the sear contacts, and lightened the trigger spring.. It's better now than it ever was. All I did to the single-lug bolt and receiver? I just cleaned them with Hoppes 9.

I love Both of these rifles.. I've found the caliber .30-40 Krag to be a perfect size cartridge for a more wide range of game in the north US, including Elk.

The Model 92 Sprigfield is US Military History, and they are both (the Ruger) a work of art as well. I was thrilled to get them both in .30-40 Krag and in such great condition.
Old March 2, 2013, 06:42 PM   #15
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry
More than enough, it is more powerful than a .270, and people take them all the time with .270s.
The .30-40 is a fine old round and plenty capable of taking elk, but in no way is it more powerful than a .270 Win. .270's with 130-150 grain bullets vs a Krag with 150-180 grain bullets it just can't overcome the speed difference to have more energy at the muzzle than a .270. Plus since the .270 favors spitzer and the Krag favors RN and semi-spitzers better the bullets don't have the BC to overcome the .270 at long range either.

Darn I got hit with a necrothread! However, what I posted is at least still true today.

Last edited by taylorce1; March 2, 2013 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Old Post
Old March 3, 2013, 06:26 AM   #16
madcratebuilder

The Krag well and has taken all North American game. Get close and good shot placement.

I would be careful reloading the 30-40 and bumping pressures up. It is a single lug bolt and 110 years or more old.

The Krag entered the surplus market right after war1 and sold for $10.
Old March 3, 2013, 07:51 AM   #17
darkgael

Note

Just to add another note to this fine old thread. Ammo for elk. Everything seems to have shifted towards the heavier and higher powered cartridges. The distances at which game is "hunted" seems to have grown too. Understandable.

The gun writer/hunter/ guide Ross Seyfried once used a single shot rifle chambered for the .455 Webley pistol cartridge to hunt and kill an elk. It required quite a bit of stalking and, in any case, was a bit of a stunt but it does go to show what a careful and determined hunter can do with less than super equipment.
Pete

PS - the article is in a issue of "The Double Gun and Single Shot Journal". I'd have to look up which issue.
Old March 3, 2013, 09:01 AM   #18
kraigwy

It's plenty enough for elk, or anything else you want to shoot. Lots of African Dangerous game was taken with the Krag and 200 grn solids.

I just finished re-reading Young's "Alaskan-Yukon Trophies, Won and Lost" where they took an extended hunting trip in the early part of the 20th Century.

One of the guys had a 30-40 they use to back up others or finish off grizzlies after they were wounded. The Krag round worked quite well.

It's also a pretty accurate round too, or at least it is in my 1898 Krag.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 3, 2013, 10:51 AM   #19
wooly booger

My father took a boat load of Montana elk with a '95 in 30-40 Krag. He even killed a few with a '94 in 25-35. I would not recommend that one at all but he swore by a sneaking up close and making a neck shot.
Old March 5, 2013, 09:23 AM   #20
darkgael

Yep.

Quote:
My father.....he swore by a sneaking up close and making a neck shot.
Yeah...what we used to call hunting. When/why did it happen that so much hunting became long distance harvesting? I appreciate that there is considerable shooting skill involved in taking an elk at 300+ yards; it ain't the same thing, though, as "sneaking up close and taking a neck shot".
Pete
Old March 6, 2013, 09:49 PM   #21
boattale

No way man.
Old March 8, 2013, 10:14 AM   #22
Bart B.

Thousands of elk were downed 11 decades ago with .30-30's and .30-40's. Every one of them never knew what hit them. As far as I know, their species has not gotten more "bullet proof" since then.

A lot of moose suffered the same demise with both cartidges back then.
Old March 8, 2013, 12:33 PM   #23
mavracer

Quote:
However, what I posted is at least still true today.
No not really energy does not equal power. energy is a poor landmark for power and what damage can be done by a round.
a 5.56 has more energy than the original 45/70 BP loading, but I know which I'm taking for large game.
BTW a 180gr @ 2400 fps from Krag has 10% more momentum than a 130gr @ 3000 fps from a 270.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."