The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 21, 2010, 09:55 PM   #1
Poodleshooter

Nitrex scopes

Has anybody tried the Nitrex scope line that is now being sold only by Natchez Shooters Supply? (They appear to have bought out everyone else's supply-note that vendors like Midway have a google cache for the same item,but have removed it from their websites).

Nitrex's TR1 and TR2s are apparently being phased out and rebranded as the next generation Weaver Grand Slam and Super Slam scopes,just as ATK/Weaver has already done with the Federal Intensity line that is now Weaver 40/44 series scopes. Supposedly Weaver will honor the warranties for both discontinued lines (Federal Intensity and Nitrex).

I hear a lot of stuff online about how good their glass is, but has anyone tried shooting the box with them or testing their tracking?
Old November 22, 2010, 05:32 PM   #2
wnycollector

I'm the very happy owner of two Nitrex scopes (TR1 1.5-5x32 and TR2 2-10x42). Both are mounted on AR-15's. The glass is very clear from edge to edge and the clicks repeatable. I'm especially happy with the TR2. I have had several fellow shooters comment on how bright and clear the glass is.

Sorry, I have not boxed either of my two Nitrex scopes. I only have anecdotal evidence that they are great deals for the $$$.
Old November 23, 2010, 08:47 PM   #3
lewwetzel

A lot of talk about 'em at rimfirecentral.com; everybody pretty much loves them.
Old November 26, 2010, 12:43 PM   #4
4runnerman

I just ordered mine today. Nitrex TR2, 4 x 20 x 50 Trex plex rectical. All i can find on these things is very very good. Glass is very high quality. Some have compared them to Monarch or better.(jury is still out on that one).
$699.00 scope for $359.00 plus $100.00 back for a total of $259.00. Im not going to complain yet. Always said i would never spend that much on a scope,but at that price i talked myself into it.
Old November 27, 2010, 04:49 AM   #5
wnycollector

I have read that the Nitrex scopes are made by Light Optical Works (LOW) in Japan. LOW also makes the Bushnell Elite and Weaver Grand Slam and Super Slam line of scopes plus the optical components of Nightforce and Trijicon Accupoint scopes. Obviously, optical coatings and other specs differ from scope to scope, but LOW seems to produce some very high quality scopes and components for top tier brands.
Old December 3, 2010, 08:00 AM   #6
4runnerman

Got it yesterday.Compared it to my friends scope(conquest). Can't see any difference in glass anyhow. Have not mounted on gun or shot through it yet,but looking very good now.What i like so far is the ability to zero at 200 yards and then take top off turret and set it tothe zero mark. Very clear clicks and solid built.