The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 16, 2008, 04:15 PM   #1
M1TC

opinions on Sig Mosquito/Ruger Mk. III

Had a chance to fire both of these at the range the other day. Problem is that I liked them both and had things I didn't like about both. Sig's trigger is not the greatest and the Ruger feels odd in my hand. What I am looking for is your opinions on these two, pros or cons, technical problems or just a "good pistol" "bad pistol". I have a Walther p22 and a Bersa .22 but would like another .22 that will really perform.
Regards,
Robert
Old August 16, 2008, 04:24 PM   #2
Pat-inCO

I recommend the Ruger Mk-II (yes 2). You can still get these new and, in general, are very good. You will swear at them the first few time you take them down, but after that, they are great. I like the 5-7" bull barrels. Good shooters.

The Sig has seen quite a few complaints about their propensity to mis-feed. From what I see, they simply need to be hand cycled four or five hunderd times to get them working very smoothly.

As far as the grip goes, I got a set of thicker grip panels for my Mk-II and have loved it since. I personally don't care for the feel of the Sigs - personal preference item.
Old August 16, 2008, 04:31 PM   #3
LanceOregon

The new Walther SP22 looks interesting, and should clearly outperform the P22 by a lot. This new gun now has its own website, here:

http://www.walther-sp22.com/

Dealers just recently got this new Walther model in stock:

So check it out if you don't already know about this new Walther model.

I'm personally waiting to see the new Hammerli X-esse, which is due to reach the United States this Fall. It will be available in both 4 and 6 inch barrel models. Here is a photo of the six inch version of this new upcoming sport handgun:

Not sure how pricey this gun will be, but it sure looks sweet!!

Old August 16, 2008, 04:38 PM   #4
M1TC

SP22

I had a chance to play with the sp22 a few weeks ago, I didn't care for it at all, especially where the slide release is located. The X-esse looks nice but I wonder what it will retail for, I would like to keep the budget around 300-350 and add or change the things I don't like as time and money allows.
Robert
Old August 16, 2008, 11:27 PM   #5
B.N.Real

Get a Buckmark.
Old August 16, 2008, 11:34 PM   #6
M1TC

Why a buckmark? Just saying get a buckmark doesn't really make me want to run to the gun store and buy one.
What do they retail for and why do you like it as opposed to a Sig or Ruger?
Robert
Old August 16, 2008, 11:45 PM   #7
ImDisaster

Wow, that Hammerli looks nice. I wonder if it will be as expensive as their target pistols.

The Buckmark is a very nice gun, as is the Beretta Neos. You should check both out. The Neos is my personal favorite because of the ergonomics and quick change barrel. The space age looks don't hurt either.

My Neos has been the most reliable feeding .22lr I've owned. I've used it to use up ammo that wouldn't work in other guns.

Last edited by ImDisaster; August 17, 2008 at 06:05 AM.
Old August 17, 2008, 01:16 AM   #8
Glock_fan

DO NOT get the Sig, I owned one, and it was the biggest POS ever! I tried three different brands of ammo (Federal, Winchester, and Remington) and both supplied springs in the various combinations, and every time I had FTF, FTEs. After every shot I would have to manually eject the casing. I gave the gun about a week and a half, and numerous chances at the range, but left everytime angry. So I returned it to the dealer for a full refund, and used that money towards my Glock 9mm. DO NOT get the Sig, you will regret it as I did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR9RN_iSKtg
Old August 17, 2008, 02:17 AM   #9
HKFan9

The Sig takes a long break in with premium ammo i.e. Minimags that can be costly for a .22lr. Get the Ruger if you need a semi auto but I love my S&W m-17, shoots any ammo.
Old August 17, 2008, 09:21 AM   #10
benzuncle

Don't buy Glock Fan's Sig Mosquito; it was a POS. Mine isn't. And it's not for sale. I've shoved plenty of rounds of Remington Golden Bullets Bulk Pack (525 rounds for $16) through it with zero problems. Don't buy a Kimber either; I had a friend that has one that is a POS. And on and on and on...

GF's Mosquito was most likely one made before Sig woke up and fixed their problems. And he is not alone in that respect. Most posters of recently built Mosquitos are not finding the problems that previous owners endured.

My Mosquito worked just fine right out of the box using CCI Mini-Mags. After the first 200 rounds I switched to the Remington Golden Bullets. I have had some FTF's but attribute that not to light strikes but to rimfirem ammo. The double action of the Mosquito remedied all but 2 FTF's. ALL had significant "strike marks" on them.

The Mosquito breaks down very easy; it's one of the things I like about it. I also have a Sig P220 Compact that breaks down pretty much the same way. And the "controls", the slide lock, mag release and decocker are all located in the same place as the P220. It feels good in my hand, that's another. I bought the Sig Mosquito to plink. It is very accurate, but a Buckmark or Ruger are probably more accurate. I didn't really care about that. Years ago I had the privilege of shooting a Remington Nylon 66 with a scope mounted on it set for 100 yards. The owner said he was bored; he hit the "10" every shot. I'm not a huge fan of 22lr. It's a cheap round to shoot, but my Crossman BB gun is even cheaper. I don't forsee buying another 22; I'll probably keep the Mosquito because mine is trouble free. But I reload and the cost of ammo for the 45's is very tolerable.
Old August 17, 2008, 09:43 AM   #11
AK103K

I've got an early Mosquito. Bought it when they first came out. From reading the different threads on them, mine must be a reject, as its performed flawlessly from day one with any ammo I've put in it. I've shot some CCI's out of it, but mostly just winchester Super X. You dont have to get fancy with it if you have the right spring in. I've found it to be a fun little pistol to shoot. Its DA trigger is not what you'd expect from SIG, but its still very shootable once you get used to it.

I've owned .22's from most all the different makers over the years, including Rugers, High Standards, S&W's, Browning's and a few others. They all had issues of some sort. Mostly they get grumpy when they have been shot a lot and havent been cleaned. 2-300 rounds and most will start acting up. Then you always have the .22 ammo issue. Face it, sooner than later, your going to have a fail to fire and its not going to be the guns fault. The crappier the ammo you buy, the sooner and more often its going to happen.
Old August 17, 2008, 12:19 PM   #12
Keltyke

My 17 year old daughter loves her Sig Mosquito. I like shooting it myself. It's a tight gun and shoots accurately. Quality ammo is a MUST and ours performs flawlessly using CCI Mini-Mags or Velocitors. It does have a break-in period of about 200 rounds.

Great little gun!
Old August 17, 2008, 12:44 PM   #13
GoSlash27

I have a Mosquito and have had zero reliability problems, even with the Federal bulk stuff. I got the one with the extended threaded barrel. The extra muzzle velocity seems to help more positive cycling. I don't like the DA trigger pull but the SA pull is good.
I'm not a big fan of the Mk III personally, but my beefs are with it's ergonomics.
It does have a longer sight radius and a nicer trigger.
I can't really recommend one over the other, as you haven't stated your intended purpose. What do you plan on using it for?
If it's more of a target gun, I'd recommend the Ruger. If it's more of a combat pistol simulator, go with the Mosquito.
Old August 17, 2008, 12:55 PM   #14
GoSlash27

Then again....
You know what? I think you should go with the Ruger. You already have the Bersa and the Walther, which are similar to the Mosquito.
Or do something really different, like a revolver.
Old August 17, 2008, 02:18 PM   #15
M1TC

GoSlash 27, I thought about a revovler for maybe 15 seconds, I am just not a revolver type. As for what the gun will be used for, mainly target/plinking. I am leaning more to the sig as it is closer to the feel and weight of my other semis'. I hope that if I do go with the Sig I don't get a lemon, but you pay your quarter you take your chances.
Thanks again everyone for the input.
Robert
Old August 18, 2008, 07:39 PM   #16
GoSlash27

M1TC,
The Sig is very heavily greased out of the box and a lot of the grease is in places it's next to impossible to get it from. I tore mine down for a thorough degreasing and polishing and it was a nightmare getting it all back together. Not recommended unless you're a masochist like me.
Make sure you get one with the longer barrel (either the threaded or target version) and break it in on high velocity ammo. Mine dialed in within 30 rounds. After that it'll feed whatever you put in it.
I haven't heard any reliability complaints about the ones now for sale; all the lemons seem to have sold out about 7 years ago.
Best of luck!
Old August 18, 2008, 08:35 PM   #17
M1TC

Thanks for all the input, bought the Sig today.

http://
Old August 19, 2008, 05:35 AM   #18
GoSlash27

Nice lookin' piece.
Be sure to let us know how it runs once you've got it broken in!
Old August 19, 2008, 09:11 AM   #19
partsboygsxr

i shot my mosquito for the first time yesterday and it was great. i really like it.