The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old January 6, 2007, 09:36 PM   #1
from the Hip

What to load for a SHTF senario

Gentelmen: Ok, lets say a time traveler knocks on your door and says that in one years time the worst case senario happens and radical exreamist from Jupeter declair war on you and your ilk. you have one year to prepair and there will be no army or police to help you. what do you load, projectile wise? no nead to worry about the Jeneva convention so any projetile configuration is on the table. Seperate ansers for Rifle and Pistol.
I thought this might be an interesting debate, hypetheticly ofcource. I will withhold my opinions untill some of you have had a chance to voice yours.
Old January 6, 2007, 09:51 PM   #2
Pointer

5.56 NATO, AR 15, 16" barrel
Surplus ammo and lots of 30 round magazines...

.45ACP, Springfield 1911, (TWO each)
185 grain Gold Dot HP's and lots of surplus ball ammo too...
Lots and lots of magazines...

I wouldn't bother to reload... I'd be too busy getting ready with other needs...

30-06 FOREVER
Old January 6, 2007, 10:22 PM   #3
from the Hip

Pointer, Reloads was the point of the thread, did you happent to notice forum you where in when you replied? I am Looking to open a debate about Projectiles and their differnt roles. that is why I posted this in the reloading forum.
Old January 6, 2007, 10:26 PM   #4
gdvan01

Quote:
Gentelmen: Ok, lets say a time traveler knocks on your door and says that in one years time the worst case senario happens and radical exreamist from Jupeter declair war on you and your ilk. you have one year to prepair and there will be no army or police to help you. what do you load, projectile wise? no nead to worry about the Jeneva convention so any projetile configuration is on the table. Seperate ansers for Rifle and Pistol.
I thought this might be an interesting debate, hypetheticly ofcource. I will withhold my opinions untill some of you have had a chance to voice yours.
Dude....dictionary.com. Please.
Old January 6, 2007, 10:54 PM   #5
skeeter1

Quote:
Dude....dictionary.com. Please.
Indeed. And what is this SHTF scenario that you're imagining?
Old January 6, 2007, 10:55 PM   #6
Trapper L

For a rifle, I would have a silenced 223 in a Remington 700 synthetic that had the modified floor plate for a 30 round clip and a 4.5x 14 scope. I would be using the M194 bullets with max loads or about 26.5 grs 2230. For pistol, make mine a 9mm with 124gr Golden Sabre bullets loaded to max. Something like a CZ or Baby Eagle. While I like a 45, you get more shots per clip from a 9mm and can pack more ammo. I'd probably also have a 22LR auto pistol in the bag with lots of ammo. If Jupeter does ring the doorbell, you won't be able to be static, you'll have to be on the move and you'll also have to travel light. My choice for a bolt gun would also be in consideration that most folks would opt for an automatic. My choice would leave me the option of being a sniper or start engagement earlier than what is prudent for an auto. I would also be looking to pair up with folks that have the autos as well a some individuals with 12Ga shotguns for that close in, personal touch.
Old January 7, 2007, 12:03 AM   #7
rwilson452

Jupiter?

Ok Jupiter? the Planet? first off, if the scientist are correct the only solid surface on Jupiter would be Metalic hydrogen. the only reason it is in that state is the pressure. We are talking some real pressure you can't find on earth anywhere. Anything that they can come up with to contain that much pressure here on earth would put the armor on a battleship to shame. Nothing short of a nuke isn't going to do more than annoy them. It's a question based on a bad premise. IF you go up against an army of bad guys or whatever all by yourself they are going to mob you and your toast. So, something where your close to one on one I will continue. Scoped M1A 165 match ammo and my XD45 230gr JHP. I would also have my 12ga along. Use my 1991A1 as a BUG. Once i have my hide set up the 12ga and 1991A1 would stay in my hide. If I can safely snipe a few bad guys I would salvage their arms and ammo. Once in that mode logistics are a breeze. It seems correct that anything of this sort would start in the large urban areas. in that case I have the time and means to take everything to the place I would hole up. A family farm that with a little effort can be made self sufficient. We will literally use horsepower to farm. wood to heat and cook with. Well, you get the picture.

Old January 7, 2007, 01:08 AM   #8
amamnn

In your case a couple of years of jr. HS english class would be your best prepraration. Also, maybe a little more respect for the intelligence of us "gun nuts."
Old January 7, 2007, 05:10 AM   #9
Buckythebrewer

[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]? I was going to remain silent but DUDE!(couldn't resist),, Smoke another one
Old January 7, 2007, 09:43 AM   #10
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know where this came from. SHTF scenarios are not welcome.

Don't much care how you try to make it germane to Handloading, it just plain isn't. Also, as several have indicated, spell-check is your friend! As is general english grammar and construction.

Someone has a PM.

Closed.
Closed Thread