The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 1, 2007, 04:16 PM   #26
Axion

I don't have enough money to practice with premium self defense ammo just a just make sure to use self defense ammo that shoots to the same point of aim as my practice ammo.
Old September 1, 2007, 05:46 PM   #27
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is nice to have practice ammo that shoots "the same" as the carry ammo. But if you never fire the expensive carry ammo, how do you know it works at all? I don't believe in the tooth fairy, Santa Claus, leprechauns, or handloads that are "exactly the same" as factory loads.

Jim
Old September 1, 2007, 06:45 PM   #28
AK103K

If you never shoot it, you wont ever know.

If you reload, you have an option to get pretty close to what your paying high dollar for in SD ammo. As long as you shoot some of what you carry to keep things in line, I dont see an issue.

I shoot the ammo in my gun each time I go to the range. The rest are either factory that is close or my reloads, which are also close. The gun reacts the same and shoots the same, so I'd call that close enough.

My .38 +P level reloads hurt my hand after 50 rounds, just like the real thing, and POI is the same. Its not like I'm practicing with .38 wadcutters in my .357Mag model 60. Not that it matters, I gave up using that thing! My P239 in 357SIG is about as big, is much nicer to shoot and easier to shoot well with, and I believe I get better performance due to the longer barrel and no cylinder gap.