Stevens 200 5 12.50%
Marlin X7 9 22.50%
Ruger American 12 30.00%
Other (Specify) 14 35.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 25, 2013, 09:22 PM   #1
wannabe-a-SEAL

Which rifle?

Okay, as some of you may know by moy other posts I have recently purchased a 1941 Ischeveck Mosin Nagant M38. I was planning on getting a turned down bolt, scope mount, scope, a new stock, and possibly even a timney trigger.

Well...... I have since decided to be done with that idea because I like the idea of keeping milsurp guns the way the were intended to be and I just couldn't get my head around spending near $800 on a gun that I bought for $250 and one where ammo is not super abundant..... now I know some will say that they made millions of these guns and go ahead and do it..... I also know that people will bring up the military surplus ammo (I plan on still using this gun for fun and for deer hunting until I get my new gun) so I will still buy surplus and cheap 7.62x54R when I can BUT, I want something that I can get in every store that sells ammo.

Before I decided on my mosin I was stuck between the Stevens 200, Marlin X7, and the Ruger American. I would really like to get a gun that I could build a good hunting and long range gun from. I would like to use the .300 WIN MAG (Which the MArlin does not come in) but am not opposed to 308 WIN or 30-06 by any means. I don't want to buy some $700+ gun.

Please tell me which gun you would get, and it doesn't have to be from the ones I listed, just please tell me what it is and keep it under $400.

OKAY, last paragraph, I live in Oregon and Cabelas, and Dicks are ridiculously priced so if anyone knows of places to get good prices please tell me.
Old August 25, 2013, 10:03 PM   #2
xf9218

Wannabe seal

Depends on what your after and what kind of range.I have a 300 win mag built on a CZ action. Pricey but its my rifle, and you cant go out a buy one just like it. Last year I found a beautiful sporterized peruvian mauser in 30-06 fof 300 dollars. Both are excellent "longer range" rifles. Here in Fla, range is about 100 yards normally. For the woods/brush I ll use a 308, but ive gotten some quadrapeds with my SKS. It really depends on what your after and at what range. Nothing wrong with a slight case of overbombing but what works best for you at what you want to get.
Old August 25, 2013, 10:15 PM   #3
ripnbst

Which rifle?

Don't overlook Remington 700 SPS.
Old August 25, 2013, 10:44 PM   #4
emcon5

You have Big 5 up there, right? They have a Savage Axis combo in .308 on sale, with a mounted 3-9 scope for $339

http://www.big5sportinggoods.com/pro...fle-combo.html

Also go to your local Wal Mart and see what they have.

If you have a Cabela's go look in their used racks, a used Remington 700 or Winchester Model 70 may be in your price range.

You are a relatively new shooter, correct? Do yourself a favor and get a .308. You will get better faster with a .308 than with a magnum. It is easier to shoot, the barrel will last longer, and ammo is cheaper.

On edit: Wise decision on the decision to keep the M38 stock. They are neat little rifles.
Old August 26, 2013, 12:08 AM   #5
big al hunter

A Howa1500 is a good rifle for a little more than your budget. For right at your budget the Mossberg 100 atr is a decent rifle. I acquired one in a trade and I am pleasantly surprised with the accuracy. I have not loaded up ammo for accuracy but factory stuff gave 1 1/2 inches at 100 yards. With premium factory or handloads it should do better. http://www.mossberg.com/products/rif...e/mossberg-atr
Old August 26, 2013, 07:13 AM   #6
Picher

If you're looking to build on it in the future, a (non-Axis) Savage or Remington SPS seem to have the most after-market goodies.

I stay away from belted magnums, preferring .30-06, .270 Win, and .243 win, but have been shooting for over 55 years. Being a gunsmith, I've shot many different rifles/cartridges, but recommend the .30-06 for all-around hunting/shooting. For a mid-range rifle, it's hard to beat .308 Win, and the now-venerable .223 Rem.
Old August 26, 2013, 07:54 AM   #7
Count Glockulla

Get the Stevens for out of the box accuracy.

Get a .308. Magnums are overkill for 90% of hunters in the USA.
Old August 26, 2013, 09:04 AM   #8
jimbob86

Quote:
If you have a Cabela's go look in their used racks,
Would be my second most valuable advice to you. Get something that is in a common caliber (.308, 30-06, 7-08, .270WIN, .243WIN, etc.) .... but ......

My best advice would be to learn to handload. That will teach you more and give you more trigger time for the money than anything else I can think of.
Old August 26, 2013, 09:33 AM   #9
wannabe-a-SEAL

We do have a big 5 up here. I haven't had time to actually go in yet but their website only said that they have the Savage Axis.

We do have a Cabelas, but it is not full sized and is a two hour drive. we are getting one about fifteen minutes from here in the summer of 2014 so I might just save up the money and then go. I was looking at cabelas and found this on their website:http://www.cabelas.com/product/Savag...h-All+Products.

Does anyone know if this is in store price or just online and what are your guys's thoughts on the Model 11?

Yeah, I was pretty much set on the .308 but was just interested in the .300. Now I know my next question has been asked thousands of times but which would you get: 308 or 30-06? I know the 308 tends to be more accurate and is good enough for any game in North America and I know that the 30-06 is more powerful and also capable of taking any animal in North America.
Old August 26, 2013, 09:38 AM   #10
wannabe-a-SEAL

Okay now I know originally I had said to keep it under $400 but the more I think about it the more I am liking the idea of getting and all around better rifle. How about $800 and below?
Old August 26, 2013, 09:38 AM   #11
jimbob86

Quote:
Does anyone know if this is in store price or just online
Your link sez "Not available online" right next to the price.
Old August 26, 2013, 10:03 AM   #12
wannabe-a-SEAL

Haha, woops. Thanks
Old August 26, 2013, 02:55 PM   #13
ntg

I own an X7, and the Howa 1500 mentioned above. Either are a great choice, with the Howa having a better finish to it. As for 300 WinMag, I think it's overkill and I'd go with a 30-06. It will kill anything in your neck of the wood and most other woods too. The 300 winmag will only give you and edge past 600 yards, and most hunters are not skilled enough to be killing things out there, IMO.
Old August 26, 2013, 03:05 PM   #14
Backwoodsboy

I would have to reccomend a Howa 1500 or Weatherby Vanguard in the caliber of your likening. Both are based on the same action and both have quite a following in aftermarket accessories including bolts, barrels, and stocks.
Old August 26, 2013, 04:40 PM   #15
emcon5

Quote:
Okay now I know originally I had said to keep it under $400 but the more I think about it the more I am liking the idea of getting and all around better rifle. How about $800 and below?
Does Wal Mart still carry the Remington 700 ADL or 700 SPS? Last time I saw one on the rack, it was about $400.

The stock isn't great, but it a pretty solid entry level rifle out of the box, and it is a Remington 700, so there are a million accessories for it. If you don't like the stock, you can change it later, same goes for the trigger.

Get a set of Leupold bases and rings, and the Nikon glass you were talking about in the other thread.

You should be good to go for the first few years of your shooting career, and will spend under $700.
Old August 26, 2013, 05:00 PM   #16
ntg

I just caught your thread about getting a better rifle and the $800 limit.

I'd get a weatherby vanguard S2 and never look back...but at $800 there's a lot of good options.

I've always like the A-bolts and they're well under that price.

I think I'd still stick with the S2 as they're great accurate rifles, and there's lots of aftermarket stuff for them if you want it.
Old August 26, 2013, 05:17 PM   #17
mapsjanhere

I like the Howa/Weatherby (got them in 223 and 243), but if you can afford it look at the Tika T3. Got one in .308, my absolute favorite hunting rifle right now.
Old August 26, 2013, 08:04 PM   #18
big al hunter

Quote:
OKAY, last paragraph, I livein Oregon and Cabelas,and Dicksareridiculously priced so if anyone knows of places to get good prices please tell me.
Oregon is a big place, where in Oregon will help narrow the options.
Old August 26, 2013, 11:24 PM   #19
jimbob86

$800 ..... A good used bolt gun with adequate glass can be had for half that ..... use the rest for a handloading set-up and components. That will go further in strengthening the weakest link in the system than anything else. At the point you can shoot equal to the rifle*, then think about what you should upgrade to.

*Shoot for groups from a benchrest. That's what the rifle and load will do. Then shoot for groups from field positions, under time pressure...... that's what the shooter can do with the rifle. When the second group equals the first, the shooter can "shoot up to his rifle".
Old August 27, 2013, 01:05 AM   #20
Pathfinder45

Where in Oregon?

I agree with Jimbo, buy 2nd hand. I voted, "Other"; as in Winchester model 70, in a non-magnum caliber. I prefer 270 Winchester but would be just as happy with a 30-'06. By the way, my walnut stocked model 70 in 270 Winchester just completely out classed a Ruger American 308 on Sunday. 'Course it mighta been partly due to different shooters...... If you are in the Portland-Metro region there is a really good gunstore with down-to-earth prices. It's called, "The Gun Broker". It is not the online auction site but rather three actual stores in Clackamas, Tigard, and Woodburn. Here's the link to their site: http://thegunbroker.com/ Think Winchester. Shoot the legend. Accept no substitutes.
Old August 27, 2013, 05:53 AM   #21
overthere

+1 for Tikka if your new budget is $800.

The Tikka T3 Hunter in 308 is $651 at Bud's:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/80552

I have this rifle in .243 and it is my favorite rifle.

It can also be had in 300 win mag ($644):
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/80599

If you want lower cost you can do the T3 Lite which is around $500 and has synthetic stock, but for larger calibers I would go with the wood stock. Not to mention the wood stock looks awesome compared to the synthetic.

The T3 lite in 308:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/80563
Old August 27, 2013, 09:16 AM   #22
ntg

Tikkas are nice, but I have issue with the small ejection port if you in cold weather with gloves on.
Old August 27, 2013, 09:53 AM   #23
wannabe-a-SEAL

So from what I am gathering and have previously read but did not jump on (I just wanted to get a gun and get one now so I didn't want to wait to get the Vanguard) is the Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 is a great rifle that completely blows out the Ruger, Marlin, and stevens? Sounds good to me I will start saving for one.

I have heard about the gunbroker shop but have yet to go in there.
Old August 27, 2013, 09:53 AM   #24
doofus47

Quote:
Well, that changes the field a bit. Get a used Howa 1500 or a Savage 10/110.

done.
Old August 27, 2013, 10:55 AM   #25
ntg

Seal, to reply to your question. I think you can get a rather accurate rifle out of any of the four. The finish quality of the S2 will be above the others. The ruger has a pretty good finish on the metal, but I'm not big on the stock. The marlin has o.k. metal finish and a better stock (and trigger IMO). The stevens isn't comparable to me in that the trigger isn't great and that is a big part of the accuracy of a rifle. The finish on it is about like the marlin, but the marlin has a stock that's a bit better built. It'll take you more work to get the stevens trigger to where it's acceptable (some are able to tweak them, other buy a replacement).

My 2 cents.