The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 27, 2001, 07:50 PM   #1
Cowboy Preacher

Looking for a new Shotgun

I am looking for a new defensive shotgun. My Remington is being delagated to hunting deer and rabbits. My question is which would be a better gun, the Winchester Defender or the Mossberg 590? I have heard a lot about some Mossberg that the Army uses, the one with a bayonet. Which model is that one? Any one know of pictures of one or do yall own one?
Old November 27, 2001, 08:52 PM   #2
CompensateThis!

I'm biased towards the Win 1300 defender. I have had one for about 6 years now with wood furniture, and love it. I'ts been a workhorse, and has fired all kinds of ammo without a hitch. I would not hesitate to recommend the Winchester.

I have also shot & handled the Mossy 590A1. It is also a quality shotgun. I'm sure you would be happy with either. I would pick the Winchester.
Old November 28, 2001, 05:09 AM   #3
PUMC_TomG

Umm... Erick....

The search feature has been down now for a few days...

But you already knew that, so you were just pointing out to the new guy that when it is fixed that he should try searching for some items before starting new threads.
Old November 28, 2001, 07:03 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

You have a Remington, why not another? If both are 870s, one has the same "Chops" as musicians say, going from one to another.

Back when I instructed, I saw experienced officers fail to pump during qualification because they were used to shooting semi autos, mostly 1100s. Not hitting the safety when hunting means a lost critter, during a HD crisis it means a lost human life, or several.

And since the 870 is the best darn pump gun ever invented(G), it's a great choice.

BTW, my Deer 870 does a nice job at HD, my bird 870 with its bunty little 21" bbl does also.

The Mossie you're asking about is the 590.
Old November 28, 2001, 08:16 AM   #5
smitty21

I agree with Dave McC, the 870 is solid. I picked one up this month, 18" barrel, factory installed mag extension. It is a really sweet shotgun. I also own a 1187, which is solid too. I don't think I will ever go back to a Mossberg. Thats just my two cents
"I wear my uniform for the heritage of sacrifice it represents . . . I wear the uniform of my country because others do not. America's freedom is a right given by God, but defended by man. It is our overwhelming responsibility to preserve our heritage of freedom for all Americans, and I accept that challenge willingly"
Old November 28, 2001, 03:02 PM   #6
CMichael

I am a novice here. However, I just got a Mossberg 500A persuader which I am very happy with.
Old November 28, 2001, 05:09 PM   #7
Cavè Canem

Is that the one with a 20"bbl and 7 shot tube?

Oh yeah, I love my Mossy.
Old November 28, 2001, 08:19 PM   #8
Bullmoose

I have a couple of 870 Tactical sg's and they work fine. There are some differences in the operation of the 870 and the Mossberg 590's that probably should be addressed in order for you to make a somewhat informed decision. I only mention those two because they are the primary ones selected for tactical work.
Mossberg pluses: (just my option)
1. Extra long magazine is stock on 590s. I think it holds more than the extended mag model or after market extension available for the 870,
2. Aluminum receiver making it faster to bring into play, and much easier to hold for extended period especially at 'low ready'.
Take a 2-4 Tactical Shotgun class and you will appreciate the difference.
3. Factory installed ghost ring sight models are a bargain.
4. Tang safety easy to find.
5. Shell release easy to use to unload tube w/o racking them through the chamber.
6. Carrier is out of the way when loading giving better reload times.
7. A little cheaper in price (remember that it has the sights, too)
870:
1. Stable proven, reliable design. (Vang Comp builds a lot of his comed 870 using the Express models and he says they are not a problem).
2. Needs big head safety added, still not as easy to use as a tang safety.
3. Ghost rings run a couple of hundred or so.
4. My 10-10.5# 870's allow me to shoot 300-500 tactical rounds in 2 days w/o a flinch or sore shoulder or cheek. Those weights include 13 rounds on the 19"gun, 14 on the 21" cantilevered, both hve RedDot scopes for my old eyes, slings, and side saddle shell holders.
The head shotgun instructor at FrontSight uses a Mossberg and runs it faster than his Benelli. Reports no problems so apparantly Mossberg has cleaned up their act since 1960(?) and the 500s. The head TopGun instructor recommends the Mossberg as the best tactical pump. You probaly 'read' that I am partial to some of the features of the Mossberg and that is correct, but I am not getting rid of my 100% dependable 870's, but would try a Mossberg if I was getting another Tactical shotgun. My shooting buddy mentioned after our last 2 day class that mine was the only gun there that ran flawlessly both days. That incuded a couple other 870's, Benellis, Winchester 1300 (the instructor called it 'a really good sporting goods gun' not a good tactical gun). One of the problem 870's was highly modified and the mag extension tube was not machined properly and it fell off a couple of times, then he used a borrowed gun. Handload ammo may caused some of the problems, I used factory as required by the class. Good luck on youir selection. Jim
Old November 29, 2001, 07:31 AM   #9
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Thanks for the nice post Jim.

Cowboy, the truth is that all of the SGs mentioned are solid guns. As Bullmoose aptly points out, the difference is in the details.

Dave has an excellent point (always) in that having the same model for both roles keeps your reflexes sharp. The locations of your bolt release and safety varies from model to model. If your reflexes are set up to take the safety off with your index finger at the rear of the trigger guard, haveing the safety on top of the receiver may slow you down. Not a Good thing if (God Forbid) you have to use it for social purposes.

Giz
Old November 29, 2001, 04:16 PM   #10
JamesA

I have the Mossberg 590.....The thing is awsome, short barrel of 18in. chambered for 2 3/4 to 3+. Ghost sight comes with and makes for a quick target find. I put on a tact. sling and hang it in my closet amoung clothes..perfect hiding place but in quick reach. I have run 00 buck/ slug-sabot/birdshot...great pattern. For home use I use #4 birdshot. I also have a win. 1300 which I like but the Mossberg rules. I paid $325.00 for it and absolutely love shooting it...This is the second moss.590 I ordered..the first one was stolen off a ups truck on delivery. Anyway look around and get what fits you....My mossy fits me, my wife even shoots it, from the hip....