The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 18, 2011, 05:34 PM   #1
Kobee_K-Bar

Permit vs Registration question.

I moved here (Mecklenburg County, Charlotte NC) from another state. I own two handguns. My research has provided that under the law here, you do not have to register guns you already own. My question is, what is the difference between registering and getting a permit? example, what if someone were to say, "do you have a permit for that/those?" The only places I would have them would be my home or the range and I'm not planning on getting a concealed carry permit. My understanding is that a "permit" is to buy a new gun not own an existing one. Anybody know about this?
Old November 18, 2011, 05:46 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

There are more than one kind of permit. In some states, a permit is required before you can purchase a firearm (or just a handgun). In the majority of states, a permit (or license, depending on what the state calls it) is required before you can carry a handgun -- in some states to carry at all, in others to carry concealed. These are not the same permit. A purchase permit does not authorize carry ... but in many states a carry permit also serves as proof of a background check when purchasing.

In my state, we can purchase a handgun without any permission slips if we're willing to wait. I think the period is ten days, but it may be two weeks. With a carry permit, we can walk out with the new toy as soon as the ink is dry on the 4473. Without the carry permit, once you get home with your new handgun you cannot take it anywhere off your property, except to a repair facility or to a gun shop to be sold. PERIOD. Not to the range. Not to your brother-in-law's house to show it off. NOWHERE ... not even unloaded, locked in a titanium case and transported in the trunk of your car.

Each state is different. Ignore that at your peril.
Old November 18, 2011, 05:59 PM   #3
Kobee_K-Bar

ok, so as long as i'm not carrying (except in the trunk to the range), more than likely i would not need to get a permit of any kind. thanks for the new direction on that.. I will look up the laws on carry permits in mecklenburg county.
again, thanks a lot!!
Old November 18, 2011, 06:07 PM   #4
Kobee_K-Bar

btw.. i saw what you said about not carrying in your state but i've been reading the laws here and we are aloud to carry as long as it's not concealed. There is just some possibility of someone fearing you and calling the police so it is advised that you don't. The law here also states that it can be carried within reach in your car as long as it's not concealed
Old November 19, 2011, 03:13 PM   #5
hermannr

Relevent law can be referenced here: For concealed: www.handgunlaw.us, and for open carry: www.opencarry.org The NC specific link is www.opencarry.org/nc.html

Both have links to the actually state law, as well as a summery. Both are good reliable sources and are update as soon as the local state law changes. Be aware that neither covers local law, just state law.

It is best to go to the state laws and read them for yourself. The summeries are ment to be guides to help you understand what is written. some legislatures actually have links to court cases too, which is very helpful.

It may be especially worth your time to check out OCDO (open carry) if you do not intend to obtain a concealed permit. They have a forum for each individual state. It looks to me like Durham county has some funny stuff, but the rest of the state looks fine for OC without a permit.

You need to read the law though

Last edited by hermannr; November 19, 2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old November 19, 2011, 05:26 PM   #6
Fishing_Cabin

Kobee K-bar

Welcome to NC. I just wanted to drop in and let you know about the laws here. There is no registration that is enforced by the state of NC itself. The only actual registration is in Durham County and it is, last I heard, administered through the county itself, and is only for residents of Durham County. So, by living in the Charlotte/Mechlenburg County area, there is no handgun/long-gun registration for you at all.

The only 2 permits that are available are the pistol purchase permit, and the concealed carry permit. You can purchase with either of the 2, though the pistol purchase permit is only for 1 purchase only. There is no permit needed or available for you to move firearms you already own with you in to NC. Just move them with your other items in a lawful manner. You can own, and also, if your willing and understand the open carry laws, you can carry openly without a permit, though you may get stoped and checked. Transport in your car is legal without a permit as well as long as it is in plain view.

Enjoy the move!
Old November 19, 2011, 06:30 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobee K-Bar
btw.. i saw what you said about not carrying in your state but i've been reading the laws here and we are aloud to carry as long as it's not concealed.
With apologies up front, I have to do it:

I personally prefer to carry as quietly as possible. (Perhaps you meant "allowed"?)
Old November 19, 2011, 08:03 PM   #8
hermannr

oh yes, watch out for the grammer police too (yes, the misspelling was/is intentional)

Last edited by hermannr; November 19, 2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old December 1, 2011, 06:06 PM   #9
Kobee_K-Bar

thanks to everyone that posted.. you've given me added back-up to what I already understood about the laws.. i am happy that this forum answered my questions and do really appreciate it