The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 13, 2009, 04:16 PM   #1
Bigmustard

SKS Synthetic stock?

I have a Yugo SKS and have been thinking about changing out the stock to maybe an ATI Monte Carlo stock. I just want something plain looking like that. Any suggestions?
Old October 23, 2009, 03:43 PM   #2
General Disarray

You won't regret the Monte Carlo. Those wooden stocks are way too short for grown folks. The Monte Carlo is a great choice. I had a Tapco stock with the collapsing buttstock and pistol grip for a while and it just didn't feel right to me. Those long rifles feel awkward with that type of tactical stock, but the Monte Carlo is a great fit.

Be careful trying to swap out the gas piston cover when you do it. I broke more than one steel pin trying to tap out the retaining pin in mine. There's probably an easy trick that I don't know about, but it's really stuck in there.
Old October 30, 2009, 05:46 PM   #3
ADIDAS69

Oi' Check out this awesome giberish

http://sgworks.com/

I have a couple in route for my toys. Delivery and production has been delayed but from what i can tell it will be worth the wait.
Old November 6, 2009, 12:53 PM   #4
Te Anau

Who would have thought a bullpup SKS would come along.Looks cool!
Old November 6, 2009, 02:19 PM   #5
orangello

I believe that is the stock my Chinese SKS came in. I switched it out for a tapco. The ATI stock is not light, but it did make the rifle balance better. It had a decent cheekrest too.
Old November 6, 2009, 03:16 PM   #6
Inspector3711

Look at the stocks Chaote makes for the SKS. They are regarded by many as the best available. They don't currently offer a Monte Carlo style but they do make traditional and dragonov styles.
Old November 6, 2009, 10:04 PM   #7
ADIDAS69

I might normally suggest selling the SKS and buying a KelTec bull pup .308 but they are very proud of their new toy. The bull pup SKS is the next best thing in 30 cal, at least it can punch properly through a wall if need be. Chaote stocks are OK but too long, for a more accurate rifle they are great.
Old November 7, 2009, 12:28 PM   #8
Toolman

I have the ATI, Combat Exchange & Tapco stocks for my SKS's. My favorites are the ATI & Tapco.
Old November 7, 2009, 11:45 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

"...way too short for grown folks..." It's a carbine made for normal sized people. snicker.
Old November 8, 2009, 01:02 PM   #10
Elsilrac1

I saw an OD composite stock on a SKS yesterday - It was very nice. I looked for a manufac but could not find one marked. If I find one I will share, but this has me interested in changing mine out.
Old November 11, 2009, 04:53 PM   #11
ADIDAS69

DUDE!

That is some Sexy **** MAP. I don't see a trigger. How much do you want for the plans or to make me two?
Old November 11, 2009, 06:18 PM   #12
claymore1500

My russian, in a "choate" stock.
Old November 11, 2009, 08:26 PM   #13
ADIDAS69

понадейтесь что это работает

То некоторая сексуальная КАРТА дерьма. I don' t видит пуск. Насколько вы хотите для планов или делаете мной 2?

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_txt
Old December 4, 2009, 02:51 AM   #14
corey_russell

About the monte carlo stock, i am more of a pistol grip man myself and i love my side folding stock on my sks, it was very easy to change out and can rough the conditions of the thick woods that i am in alot of the time, very scratch resistent
Old July 3, 2018, 12:23 PM   #15
mesacactus

This is my second Tapco stock, my first was for my Ruger 10/22. That stock was great, and this one is no less so. Admittedly there were some issues with fit. However, after some careful filing of the stock, it fit very well. Most complaints and "horror stories" seem to come from those who expected a perfect fit out of the box. NOT going to happen with a SKS. there WILL be issues, some more than others, so be prepared. I viewed and read at least a dozen articles and videos on how to install the Tapco stock. By doing so, I was prepared, and completed a relatively easy instal in about an hour. No special tools needed. All came out of my tool box. This stock really adds to the rifle, and don't listen to the purists out there who constantly criticize tinkering with an SKS. They are like wine snobs, all bluster, and pseudo knowledge. I changed the stock for performance, and frankly because lt does look "cool" Anyone should be able to do the same.
Old July 3, 2018, 01:36 PM   #16
T. O'Heir

OP is 19 years old.
Old July 3, 2018, 04:58 PM   #17
MTT TL

Quote:
Oi' Check out this awesome giberish
http://sgworks.com/
Yikes, that is more than I ever paid for an SKS.

The TAPCO stock is a cheap solution that works.