The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 24, 2009, 08:17 AM   #1
jepp2

Any secrets for "quckly" applying Imperial Sizing Die Wax?

I've tried Imperial and like the way it lubes the cases, but haven't come up with a good way to quickly apply it uniformly. I currently put a small amount on my fingers and spin the cases with my fingers. But I find that to be really slow when I am sizing a large quantity of brass.

So how have you learned the best way to apply, that is both uniform and quick?
Old July 24, 2009, 09:58 AM   #2
MADISON

Sizing wax

I use another brand of Sizing Wax.
I use Hornady's "Unique Grease"/sizing wax.
All you need to do is with each case dip your finger in the wax and coat the case lightly.
Old July 24, 2009, 10:16 AM   #3
Dannyl

applying lub on cases

Hi,
I use saddle-wax, but the same method should work for you.
First I hold the cases in bunches of 8 or so, and use an ear-bud to lub the inside of the necks, then I get a little wax on both my hands, and take the 5 cases ant a time, then hold them between my palms and roll them back and forth.

This allows me to apply a light coat of lub very quickly.

Rgds,
Danny
Old July 24, 2009, 01:18 PM   #4
Alleykat

As long as Hornady One Shot works well for me, I won't be pursuing such a tedious method of lubing cases!
Old July 24, 2009, 01:30 PM   #5
jepp2

That is why I asked. I am currently using synthetic motor oil and a carbide neck sizer button. I can lube and size 750/hour with my RockChucker. But I just thought somebody had to have a "mass production" application secret for Imperial.
Old July 24, 2009, 02:39 PM   #6
Smokey Joe

One shot...

Jepp 2--
Quote:
I've tried Imperial and like the way it lubes the cases
If you're using Imperial you're using quality, and "doing it really right," not speed of application, should be your primary concern. If you just want to crank out blasting ammo, then go with the Hornady One Shot or similar.

Benchresters can use up a whole afternoon just making up 150 rounds, but you know the kind of results they are after.

--Smokey Joe
Old July 24, 2009, 04:30 PM   #7
flashhole

I rake my thumb across the top and then apply it. The thumb has a bit more surface area and it goes quickly. Wiping it off takes longer than putting it on. Just a very small amount is all that is needed. I also drag my thumb across the neck opening to lube the expander ball. It's all very quick.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old July 25, 2009, 09:23 AM   #8
Alleykat

Quote:
If you're using Imperial you're using quality, and "doing it really right," not speed of application, should be your primary concern. If you just want to crank out blasting ammo, then go with the Hornady One Shot or similar.

Benchresters can use up a whole afternoon just making up 150 rounds, but you know the kind of results they are after.
To quote Colonel Potter, "Horsehockey!!" A piece of brass sized with Imperial won't be any more accurate than a piece of brass sized with lard or Hornady One Shot or anything else. Double horsehockey!!!