The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old August 1, 2021, 09:31 PM   #26
jonnyc

Still shooting almost the same number of rounds (every Sunday), but mixing in more odd-ball calibers and lots more .22. I probably don't need to ever buy any more ammo, but I am looking forward to refreshing the stock a bit.
Lots more out there, and prices are dropping. January might be a big BUY month!
Old August 2, 2021, 04:46 PM   #27
mr bolo

unless 9mm drops back to $9.99 a box and 45 acp drops back to $14.99 a box , I simply wont be shooting as much as before

Ill just limit myself to one box of ammo a year for practice, my supply will last a long time if I only shoot a couple boxes a year or just stop going to the range.
Old August 3, 2021, 08:33 PM   #28
shurshot

At Cabelas yesterday, shelves were FULL of 5.56 and 7.62x39, inflated prices though. Lots of shotgun shells, Herters branded. A few boxes of .22's, about gone.
Hunting rifle ammo? Nope.
Handgun ammo? Nope.
Old August 3, 2021, 09:46 PM   #29
44caliberkid

I got the deal of the day, Hornady 50 BMG, 750 grain A-Max, box of 10 for $69.95, that’s $20 cheaper than anywhere else.
Old August 4, 2021, 07:38 AM   #30
JustJake

Quote:
Ill just limit myself to one box of ammo a year for practice, my supply will last a long time if I only shoot a couple boxes a year or just stop going to the range.
Shooting one 50-rd box per year for "practice" isn't effective practice for any serious use for which you'd keep a 9mm or 45acp pistol.

Nope, in these times of factory ammo deprivation, reloading is the only way to go, provided you can source components.
Old August 4, 2021, 09:20 AM   #31
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJake View Post
Shooting one 50-rd box per year for "practice" isn't effective practice for any serious use for which you'd keep a 9mm or 45acp pistol.

Nope, in these times of factory ammo deprivation, reloading is the only way to go, provided you can source components.
Yet that is the norm for many even when there is no ammo shortage. I sold a LCP about 6 years ago to a friend that wanted one. I gave him a good price and few boxes of ammo and with the caveat that he learn to be proficient with it. To this day he has not shot it once. And have run across so many folks that have not gone to the range in years.
I would be willing to bet that even now many will buy a gun for home protection etc, buy one box of ammo and not be seen again at the range. Shotguns will go into the closet for years. Same with AR's. etc.
Old August 4, 2021, 09:33 AM   #32
HistoryJunky

In my area in north-central IL, ammo supply is spotty at best.

I picked up 2 200 round boxes of 5.56 at the local Farm and Fleet for a little under $300. Not great pricing but better than a lot of places.

They had a few 400 round ammo boxes of 7.62x39 as well.

A bunch of .45ACP.

A few boxes of .44 Magnum.

That's about it. I haven't seen 9mm in the wild at non-scalping prices in some time.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old August 4, 2021, 09:55 AM   #33
JustJake

Quote:
Yet that is the norm for many even when there is no ammo shortage.

Don't know how many of these "many" there are, but these "closet-queen" owners are clearly an embarrassment to the rest of us who purchase a firearm for a serious use (personal protection; hunting), and then practice with it for that particular use.

If retail ammo is scarce or overly spendy for the budget, that's what reloading is for.

Uh huh. Right there.
Old August 4, 2021, 10:00 AM   #34
TunnelRat

Is ammo availabilty getting better yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJake View Post

Don't know how many of these "many" there are, but these "closet-queen" owners are clearly an embarrassment to the rest of us who purchase a firearm for a serious use (personal protection; hunting), and then practice with it for that particular use.

If retail ammo is scarce or overly spendy for the budget, that's what reloading is for.

Uh huh. Right there.

If someone isn’t willing to put in the time and money to shoot more than one box of factory ammunition, I’m seriously doubtful that the same person is going to invest in a reloading setup and the time necessary to reload. My experience is the cost of ammunition is less a factor than motivation in these cases when we’re talking shooting on such an infrequent level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 4, 2021, 11:43 PM   #35
armoredman

Last time I was at the LGS there was some ammo. Prices are still high, but there seems to be more of it, plus some primers actually popped up, too.
Old August 5, 2021, 05:15 AM   #36
ejfalvo

Went to the local 'bigger' LGS yesterday and the shelves were filled with ammo (all rifle and handgun calibers) - almost like old time. Prices were still higher than pre-craziness.
Old August 5, 2021, 01:06 PM   #37
mr bolo

I do reload most of my ammo, but will not buy the current over priced factory ammo

factory ammo is for my reserve / long term storage
Old August 6, 2021, 10:27 AM   #38
DaleA

Quote:
Went to the local 'bigger' LGS yesterday and the shelves were filled with ammo (all rifle and handgun calibers) - almost like old time. Prices were still higher than pre-craziness.
That cheers me up. Where abouts are you located.

P.S. IMhO it would be nice if EVERYONE that tells about horrendous ammo/great ammo stories indicated where they are located.
Old August 20, 2021, 11:49 PM   #39
scoobysnacker

Quote:
Is ammo availabilty getting better yet?
It was, until today. That's toast now.

The US has just announced it is banning Russian-manufactured ammo. So all that cheap Tula, Wolf, Red Army Standard, Brown and Silver Bear, etc (including the steel Monarch stuff at Academy)... done and over. What's here now, and maybe for a couple of weeks of further imports, that's it. After the current stock is sold, there will be no more.
Old August 21, 2021, 12:22 AM   #40
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysnacker View Post
It was, until today. That's toast now.

The US has just announced it is banning Russian-manufactured ammo. So all that cheap Tula, Wolf, Red Army Standard, Brown and Silver Bear, etc (including the steel Monarch stuff at Academy)... done and over. What's here now, and maybe for a couple of weeks of further imports, that's it. After the current stock is sold, there will be no more.
You are right, and 40 to 45% of the ammunition sold in the US is Russian!!
Old August 21, 2021, 07:53 AM   #41
Cowboyfromhell

I am seriously contemplating the idea of selling most of my guns for the simple fact that I haven't shot them in over a year! They are simply sitting in a safe collecting dust. Inflation is here to stay folks and unfortunately the gun hobby is a rich mans game nowadays. I can't afford to shoot up what I have stashed for fears of not being able to replenish.
I will keep a few around but most will go...I will keep a 12g pump, AR-15, .22 rifle, 357 mag gp100, Hk usp 40, Sig p220.
Old August 21, 2021, 08:53 AM   #42
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistoler0 View Post
You are right, and 40 to 45% of the ammunition sold in the US is Russian!!
Yep, My gosh, I shot a ton of 9mm Wolf, Tula in the past. The Firearm industry is under attack. A cabal of Lawsuits in the US, Mexico and now Import restrictions from Russia. (ammo not Vodka). Top it off with de-funding the police, historical rising crime, and on and on and on. Now new Terrorism threats will be coming. (not the standard domestic variety that has destroyed billions of dollars across the us, and of course there will be more of those.)
No, I will Not be buying any new guns. Ammo is high now. Posters were saying it is going to go down. Sorry, Now with the Russian restrictions, get ready for another shortage and a huge price increase. And to think what it will be like in 3 years? Just a matter of time before they shut down everything to do with this sport.

ALL PART OF THE PLAN TO DESTROY THE 2A rights.
Old August 21, 2021, 10:40 AM   #43
cheoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasHam View Post
Yesterday I stopped by what is locally billed as the world's largest gun store-- and it may well be as they took over a former major supermarket building a few years ago.

The good news is I saw ammo and component shelves that not too long ago were bare now starting to fill with product. Not everything you're looking for but enough so you could go shooting. The bad news was prices-- mostly yowza!.

Same general inventory situation at their long-- and I mean long-- gun counters. Increased stock-- up to maybe 30-40% of what was there a couple of years ago- but mostly punishing prices.

But a few months ago the count was more like 10% (all my eyeball estimates). Several of the counters had been closed off and blocked as the case shelves and gun racks were empty. Yesterday, only one counter was empty/closed off.

Adventure Outdoors? I stopped again in recently while visiting family in Smyrna. Picked up a 15 round mag for sig 365X.

This was early July, but I couldn’t find anything else I needed. They did have some firearm inventory but no ammo or components I needed.
Old August 21, 2021, 06:04 PM   #44
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboyfromhell View Post
I am seriously contemplating the idea of selling most of my guns for the simple fact that I haven't shot them in over a year! They are simply sitting in a safe collecting dust. Inflation is here to stay folks and unfortunately the gun hobby is a rich mans game nowadays. I can't afford to shoot up what I have stashed for fears of not being able to replenish.
I will keep a few around but most will go...I will keep a 12g pump, AR-15, .22 rifle, 357 mag gp100, Hk usp 40, Sig p220.
<<unfortunately the gun hobby is a rich mans game nowadays>>

Yes, this is what they want, they want it to be something that only the elite do, like it is in Europe (where I am from).
Old August 22, 2021, 08:56 AM   #45
Carl the Floor Walker

Personally I am beginning to think 22.cal is the NEW 9mm in terms of frequency I have been accustomed to. It appears the only real shooting I will be doing with 9mm/380 will be just to try and make sure skills have not deteriorated to any significant level. Hopefully the 22. cal pistols will keep up the skills. And I agree, I need to get rid of quite a number of my pistols. Get it down to just a couple for carry and one home defense.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; August 22, 2021 at 09:04 AM.
Old August 23, 2021, 09:46 AM   #46
TBL004

Ammo is a bit more plentiful in Phoenix area. 9 mm, 40 S&W and .45 are available. But .380 and .223 are scarce.
Old August 23, 2021, 07:01 PM   #47
Eddiejoe

I was in Sportsmans in Show Low Az and they had some ammo in several popular calibers, including 308. They also had components, but no powder.
Old August 24, 2021, 09:31 AM   #48
Logs

Bought two boxes of 30.06 ammo from Walmart for under $20 per box and one box of AA 12 GA for $8. They had a bunch of 20 GA and 300 Win Mag still on shelf, but nothing else.
Old August 29, 2021, 07:01 AM   #49
lunger

Yesterday I went to a box store in western Pa. I was surprised by the mostly full shelves . Seemed like most calibers except .22.

Prices were about double what they were before.

I picked up 2 boxes of Federal 45 acp for $36.99 each . OUCH
Old September 1, 2021, 05:42 PM   #50
JB in SC

Paid $70 for a 200 round box of WW 9mm 115 grain FMJ two weeks ago a local store. Blazer aluminum was $15 a box. Even .380 Blazer Brass showing up at $27 a box. Not pre 2020 pricing but better. Lead .38 Special ammo is very difficult to find but it was not exactly cheap in 2019, WW and Federal WC and SWC loads were over $30 a box then. I did see some Federal 158 RN lead for $29.99 last week.

Decent hunting caliber rifle ammo is very expensive when you can find it, that would push me to hand load if I still hunted.