The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 7, 2017, 12:32 AM   #1
BRICK_2027

40 s&w reloading problems

Hello all, hopefully you guys can help me out because I'm stumped. I've been reloading my rifle rounds a lot recently and decided I wanted to do some 40 s&w.

I've never had a problem before reloading 40 but have ran into one today. It seems that there's a problem when seating the bullet. The round doesn't seem to want to seat flush in my barrel.

I'm confused because I'm doing everything the same as I have in the past. OAL is 1.129" and don't really wanna go much less. Like I said I've done everything the same and am only now having problems. Any advice will help
Old January 7, 2017, 03:01 AM   #2
74A95

Do the plunk test with a magic marker to determine where the problem is.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/reloadi...he-plunk-test/
Old January 7, 2017, 06:02 AM   #3
Nathan

Help us a little....

Are you referring to a "plunk test" failure? Is the round sticking in the rifling? Covering the round in black marker can be a big help.

Barrel?
Bullet?
Case?
Crimp?
Dies?
Old January 7, 2017, 09:53 AM   #4
Mauser69

Quote:
The round doesn't seem to want to seat flush in my barrel.
This makes absolutely no sense to me.

Do you mean that the bullets are crooked in the CASE? If so, your problem is likely nothing more than a buildup of lube or other contaminant in your seating plug.

If the loaded rounds do not completely insert into the chamber, then there is either something wrong with your barrel (something obstructing the front of the chamber, such as some broken brass), or your measurement is just completely borked and your loaded rounds are too long. Compare them to some factory rounds.
Old January 7, 2017, 10:12 AM   #5
Hoppy

Sounds like not plunking, but clarification would be good.

I did research before starting to load 40's. Some people talked about case bulges that were not removed with regular case sizing. Perhaps it is this. I never actually ran into this. I resized cases that were run through my friend's glock ( apparently people were discussing bulging from the glock). My rounds plunked in the glock and my kahr barrel.

The plunk with marker should help identify.
Old January 7, 2017, 10:51 AM   #6
Jeffm004

The plunk test worked for me for years, until it didn't. It took a go/no go gauge and a sharpie to find the problem. A pix might help. I was using an SNS coated and the fat part of the lead near the nose was just / that much seated too long. They run in my Sig, not in my 1911 aftermarket barrel. With 9mm, some brass is not quite right. They run in my Sig and Browning, they hang up now and then in the Glock. A go / no go gauge solved all these issues, well it lets me sort out the marginal stuff. In a barrel, my eye just doesn't spot /.

I'm just now setting up the 650 for .40. Or at least thinking about it....
Old January 7, 2017, 11:08 AM   #7
nhyrum

Did you measure your brass before loading? Could be brass that is too long
Old January 7, 2017, 11:20 AM   #8
Mauser69

Quote:
I did research before starting to load 40's. Some people talked about case bulges that were not removed with regular case sizing. Perhaps it is this.
I have not seen this either, but it is a good suggestion - if the resizing die is not adjust far enough down it does seem possible that it might not fix the damaged brass from those junky Glock guns.

I HAVE seen something similar with .357 Magnum brass that has been relaoded many times with magnum loads, and the carbide ring on some resizing dies is far enough inside the die (probably to keep inexperienced reloaders from cracking it due to improperly adjusting the die) that some cases can eventually develop a very slight bulge all the way around the very bottom of the case that causes problems chambering in my revolver. When I have seen this, using a different die carefully adjusted to come as close as possible to the shell holder has fixed the brass.

Last edited by Mauser69; January 7, 2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old January 10, 2017, 10:58 AM   #9
CWKahrFan

Not SURE this is your problem but... Watching this video and ordering the appropriate equipment therein described solved the problems I was having with .40 seating... Works like a charm for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peUhhcWymxE
Old January 10, 2017, 05:30 PM   #10
Gregory Gauvin

Perhaps your seating-die is not adjusted far enough down to remove all the flare from the case after belling the mouth. A tight chamber compounds this.
Old January 10, 2017, 06:22 PM   #11
flashhole

Looks like a troll to me. First post, not clear on the problem. Improper terminology and lots of people jumping to his cadence.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old January 11, 2017, 03:51 PM   #12
Gregory Gauvin

trōl/
noun
noun: troll; plural noun: trolls

a mythical, cave-dwelling being depicted in folklore as either a giant or a dwarf, typically having a very ugly appearance

Old January 12, 2017, 01:21 AM   #13
primerman

If it is one round then it might be case bulge, I had one of those today. If it is all your rounds then I would check to see if the bell on the case mouth needs to be removed, I had several of those today. If you are trying to seat and crimp the bullet at the same time, well that could be a different problem. I found out early in my reloading experience that seating and crimping does not always work so I bought a taper crimp die and added another step to my process.

if it is just one bullet I would suggest pulling the bullet and throwing the case away.

Tags
40 s&w , reloading 40 s&w