The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 1, 2014, 04:22 PM   #1
ScotchMan

Article on Revolvers for Everyday Carry

I wrote an article on this topic. I believe many people don't give small revolvers the credit they're due. Interested in any feedback or discussion on this topic!

http://everydayloadout.com/revolvers...day-carry.html

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old August 1, 2014, 05:17 PM   #2
Model12Win

Well all I know is this little snubbie went with me today to get groceries and some beer.

Old August 1, 2014, 06:24 PM   #3
A400 Fan

Does that grip just hook onto your belt IWB? Or something different? How does that ride when driving? I currently pocket carry or leave the 642 in the car door - always looking for other options. I DID add the Delta Ergo grip (the ugly one), and it really does help in pointing and handling, but it is not as pocket friendly as I would like

TIA
Old August 1, 2014, 07:21 PM   #4
histed

http://www.rossiusa.com/images/imagesMain/R35102.jpg
This has been my constant companion since my wife discovered my SCCY and fell in love. I used to carry an 85UL. The Rossi lives in an IWB holster in the summer, and in an OWB or a (coat) pocket holster in the winter. Need some of those speed strip, though. Speed loaders are a pain to conceal in the summer.
Old August 1, 2014, 07:45 PM   #5
deputy tom

Scotchman, your post was great but I must point out the statement S&W five for sure is a misnomer. Colt's claimed " Six for sure". tom.

An end will come on the world, but love and music will endure.
Thig crioch air an t-saoghail, ach mairidh gaol 's ceol.
Old Scottish Gaelic proverb
Old August 1, 2014, 08:05 PM   #6
jmr40

Quote:
Revolvers are far less prone to failure from being gunked up with dirt, dust, and lint, due to the fact that all the moving parts are generally sealed inside. Your finger is directly turning the cylinder, so unless something has gotten jammed in there, it's probably going to fire.
All the testing, as well as my own experiences show the opposite to be true. A big reason the military chose semi-autos is because they function more reliably when filthy or abused. The cylinder, all chambers, the ejector, trigger and hammer are all exposed on a revolver creating many places for foreign objects to mess things up. Or for them to be broken or damaged if dropped. On a striker fired semi the trigger is the only moving external part. And if a semi does go down it can be disassembled, the problem corrected and back working within minutes, even seconds. A revolver will require a trip to the workbench to get it working again.

Revolvers have their place, and if kept reasonably clean are about as reliable as possible. At least for the 1st cylinder. Your points about ease of use by those less familiar with firearms it spot on.
Old August 1, 2014, 08:07 PM   #7
Model12Win

Quote:
Does that grip just hook onto your belt IWB? Or something different? How does that ride when driving? I currently pocket carry or leave the 642 in the car door - always looking for other options. I DID add the Delta Ergo grip (the ugly one), and it really does help in pointing and handling, but it is not as pocket friendly as I would like
Yes, it hooks right on the belt, with the belt itself putting tension on the gun and keeping it very firmly in the waistline. These are Barami Hip-Grips and they are excellent. I keep the gun at the 3:00 position and it is very comfortable driving, sitting down, standing, walking, the gun does not move or shift at all. I first bought these after dissatisfaction from various pocket holsters that I felt printed too much.

These grips make the gun dissappear under a light T-shirt and I have been using them with great success for about 3 months, including once on a 6.5 hour road trip and they worked wonderfully. They are HIGHLY recommended and are available for something like $20. I also recommend the use of Tyler-T grip adapters with the Barami Hip-Grip, as shown in the picture.
Old August 1, 2014, 08:43 PM   #8
jeager106

I never shot any revolver except for my Ruger Single Six untill I went into police work in 1972.
Back then police weapons were revolvers & semi auto's the new kid on the block.
I carried a wheel gun for many years and never felt unarmed, often just a 5 shot Chiefs Spl. with 125 grain h.p. ammo.
I love my autos but also have a nice small collection of Smith revolvers.
I often carry a Smith ProSeries M-60 3" in .357 and don't feel undergunned.
It's a reall hoot to shoot and quite accurate.
I keep all my handguns clean & they function well.
I also have two 5 round speed loaders for the l'il Smith magnum.
Old August 1, 2014, 09:25 PM   #9
ScotchMan

Quote:
All the testing, as well as my own experiences show the opposite to be true. A big reason the military chose semi-autos is because they function more reliably when filthy or abused. The cylinder, all chambers, the ejector, trigger and hammer are all exposed on a revolver creating many places for foreign objects to mess things up. Or for them to be broken or damaged if dropped. On a striker fired semi the trigger is the only moving external part. And if a semi does go down it can be disassembled, the problem corrected and back working within minutes, even seconds. A revolver will require a trip to the workbench to get it working again.

Revolvers have their place, and if kept reasonably clean are about as reliable as possible. At least for the 1st cylinder. Your points about ease of use by those less familiar with firearms it spot on.
It is quite important to me not to spread misinformation, especially in a more formal setting than a forum, so I take this criticism seriously. However I would like to offer a counterpoint.

My remarks were not about the revolver being abused; in that respect they may be better or worse. And certainly a problem requires a gunsmith whereas a semi-auto may not, but I didn't really touch on that.

As for the dirt/lint/gunk etc, in my experience and many others' the opposite is true. I have had very reliable striker guns go down due to a tiny amount of dirt in the striker channel, and we've all seen guns jam due to dirty feed ramps or internals. I have never seen or heard of a revolver fail due to being dirty. At the worst, they require a great deal of force to use, for example if dirt is under the ejector star, but they can be "manhandled" and gotten back into action. I was speaking to an internal hammer model, but I believe an external hammer should be about the same.

I'm curious of your experiences in which revolvers failed from being dirty where a semi-auto would have succeeded.

I think in all reality, neither design would fail in any reasonable real world use, but if you really push them I think the revolver would last longer.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old August 1, 2014, 09:44 PM   #10
stealintv

629 if I feel like like I am finished with my hearing capabilities. Seriously though, it may accompany me to an outdoorsy event where a two legged varmint may attempt to interrupt my bbq in the bush.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 629.jpg (66.1 KB, 62 views)
Old August 2, 2014, 12:08 AM   #11
bbqbob51

I settled on a revolver for my CC gun, a Ruger LCR specifically. The simplicity of operation (Point, pull trigger, repeat if necessary then reload) and ease of concealment. I think semi-autos are great because of the higher capacity but unless someone is willing to practice on a regular basis as military and police do to get and stay familiar with their handgun they are better off with a revolver.
My household has 3 guns loaded and ready to go, 2 snubbie 38spl revolvers and a semi auto 9mm Stoeger Cougar with 12 rounds loaded in the 15 round magazine. My wife will go to her Taurus 85 snubbie if needed because she just does not practice all that much and a semi is just too much to deal with in an emergency situation.
Old August 2, 2014, 12:13 AM   #12
Water-Man

I've carried a snubby for forty six years and will continue to do so.
Old August 2, 2014, 06:57 AM   #13
Coastal

This old Model 36 has been my front pocket companion for a looong time. I never worry about accidentally hitting the magazine release, limp wristing, FTF, FTE, I'm confident that it will be ready when I need it.

Old August 2, 2014, 07:09 AM   #14
nixterdemus

Wheelguns are swell for average Joe, because when TSHTF he doesn't have to rely on hrs of training to first take the safety off before firing. Get your finger on a trigger, point and pull. As needed. That's also why I'm somewhat enamoured to the DAO single stacks. Likewise, the SA/DA only needs a safety when dropping the cocked hmr on a rnd, as far as I'm concerned, when carrying.

I knew a feller that obliviously blew a hole through his hand w/9mm Glock.

Obviously he was the exception to my rule.

I carry an Air-lite 351C 22MRF w/first rnd sportin' #12 CCI shotshell and the other six 45 gn flatnose WRF. Sometimes I tote the 3" 32 long.

I'm not looking to kill anybody I merely wish to properly handicap the fight.

Last edited by nixterdemus; August 2, 2014 at 07:36 AM.
Old August 2, 2014, 03:32 PM   #15
Dave Chuppa

Al I carry is wheel guns. I have six snubs and I pick two every day for carry. I also carry speed loaders so I don't feel underguned for sure. I tried to post a picture but it won't let me.
Old August 2, 2014, 08:29 PM   #16
Doc Holliday 1950

everyday revolver

Thanks Scotchman,
i'm glad to see a good common sense article. I always carry my 2" 357 mag Rossi/laser sight. I only load with 357 mag HP's 125 grains. Never have to worry about jamming,misfires or accidental firing. my thoughts are 5 to 7 yds. max and if I need more than 6 rounds, I'm in big big trouble. I'm about 99% sure I'll never be in 'The OK Corral" shootout. Nothing against semi autos except they can jam and they're a pain to pull to shoot unless you always have one in the chamber. I'll take a 357 mag any day.
One last thing. All my revolvers are 100% clean and ready.

Last edited by Doc Holliday 1950; August 2, 2014 at 08:35 PM.
Old August 3, 2014, 06:46 AM   #17
JERRYS.

Coastal, thanks for showing a true working man's gun, one with character marks instead of a museum piece purported to be carried regularly.
Old August 3, 2014, 12:41 PM   #18
Andy Blozinski

Same here, Doc. With .357 magnum, I figure 6 shots is up to 6 downed bad guys. My other concealed carry is a Walther PPS in 9mm and I just assume I'll have to put 2-3 into someone to make sure the job is done. Even if I miss with most of the 6 shots from my Chiappa Rhino, I figure it's good for a few fellas worth and I'm not likely to have to face more than that. If I am, maybe I needed more than a pistol. I don't pack a reload, but I might get one of those strip things just for the heck of it. If the zombie apocalypse starts up while I'm at the grocery store, I guess it might be handy to have one reload to get me home.
Old August 4, 2014, 08:37 PM   #19
sgms

Over the last few years I find that unless I am going some place I don't really want to be going into(then the carry includes 1911 or BHP) most often one of three S&W J frames pictured is with me (as well as a picture of my favorite pocket holster setup), the 3 inch tends to be on the belt rather than pocket. Have several other 2/2.5 inch revolvers in .38 S&W, .38 special, .357 mag., .45 acp. and .45 colt in a variety of frame sizes by both S&W and Colt that do get carried the 3 shown seem to be the most used.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phpAfCV9FPM.jpg (96.4 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg phpApf6YwPM.jpg (110.4 KB, 61 views)
Old August 5, 2014, 09:13 PM   #20
SansSouci

Good article.

As I see it, .38 Special +P is absolute minimum for self-defense. At that, it's a neck and up round. And a 5-shot revolver is not good odds for one good guy vs. one bad guy. If there is more than one bad guy, I definitely wouldn't want a 5-shot revolver.
Old August 6, 2014, 08:37 AM   #21
cdbeagle

I have several semi-autos for carry but almost always carry my Detective Special or Cobra - because I'm so accurate with them. I would actually prefer to carry a semi but will take accuracy over firepower. If I were more accurate with a semi then that is what I would carry.
Old August 6, 2014, 11:54 AM   #22
DannyB1954

I was carrying a Ruger SR9C until a neighbor said he could see it from behind. Now I carry a Ruger SP101 or a S&W 38 bodyguard. The curved handles print less, and anymore than 5 misses and I might hit something I didn't want to.
Old August 6, 2014, 01:09 PM   #23
salvadore

Even tho I purchaced a S&W Shield for concealed carry I still pack the M-60 more often and even pack my Colt Cobra more than the Shield.

Old August 6, 2014, 03:49 PM   #24
matt2009

This is with me every time I leave the house. It usually rides between the seat and center seat in my truck in a pocket holster where I can easily draw it if need be. If not there then on a belt holster.

The speed loaders usually stay in the truck but on occasion I grab one and put in my pocket. I don't really ever foresee having to reload in a self defense shooting. I figure after five shots of .357 Magnum if one of us ain't down then I'm getting out of dodge.
Old August 7, 2014, 05:18 AM   #25
ch47gunner

I'll stick to the revolver also - always had one, that's what I'm used to.
My 649nd is an older model, no magnums or +P stuff just 158gn. JHP's.
The way I see it, if five (plus speedloader) won't do it then, I should have ran.
Mind you - the J frame is not my nightstand gun. That would be a CZ75 P01.