The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 23, 2012, 01:05 PM   #1
scottd913

.22 hornet question

I have a friend that has a new england .22 hornet
I'm thinking of doing some horse trading with him or should i say i think HE is going to ask me about swapping me for some of my goodies.
i really don't need to know if what i have that i think he is gonna want is worth the trade but
I would like to learn all i can about that particular rifle.
price range>
usages>
favorably of target>
small game-varmint and ammo prices and how inflation has effected same.
the rifle is in very good to excellent used condition.
Old September 23, 2012, 01:22 PM   #2
DnPRK

Single shot, break-open action (like a shotgun).

Reported to have a heavy trigger pull and mediocre accuracy.

New price < $300. Used price is even lower.

Decent ammo by Winchester or Remington runs $40+ for a box of 50.

Sounds like the type of rifle that sits in the back of the safe and never gets shot.
Old September 23, 2012, 01:52 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

The Hornet is a fine small game round, and was the first commercial varmint cartridge. It is a little finicky to reload, but considering the cost of new factory ammo, its very worthwhile.

The Hornet is the lightest standard centerfire round, and bridges the gap between the .22WRM and the .222/.223 class rounds.

The New England Handi rifle is a bargin basement gun. If you get one with a decent trigger, they can be quite accurate, but they are not in the class of a Ruger or an Anshutz.
Old September 23, 2012, 02:48 PM   #4
WIN71

Quote:
not in the class of a Ruger or an Anshutz.
Or a CZ
Old September 23, 2012, 04:09 PM   #5
scottd913

while i appreciate a good Chevy vs.Ford or even more so a 500 vs 870...that isn't really what i am looking for here.

i would like as many opinions as i can get on this particular rifle.

is there a trigger job that could be done to make it a better rifle?

what i have that my friend wants suits him well and i have no use for it.

my end is around $250. + - I do a lot of plinking and paper killing but i really don't NEED another gun but there are people in my life that could receive a good x-mas gift maybe
Old September 23, 2012, 05:41 PM   #6
PetahW

[is there a trigger job that could be done to make it a better rifle?]

Not easily.

They best fit in the category of a walk-around economy varminter.

Old September 23, 2012, 08:13 PM   #7
Goatwhiskers

Yes if you are talented with your hands the trigger can be made most satisfactory. Go to the H&R section on the graybeard site, in the FAQ there is more info than you can digest. Like anything else on the market, there are those out there that may have one or another problem, but they are easily cured, the rifle is an economical purchase that can be improved upon if need be. Some are real tack drivers and have great triggers from the factory, others may have some accuracy problems relative to how picky you are, all easily cured. I have 3, .223, 7x57, and .35 Whelen, all shoot inside 1". Here endeth the epistle. Goat

By the way, you will love the Hornet, especially if you hand load. GW
Old September 23, 2012, 08:44 PM   #8
TripHlx

If you want to spend a few bucks, you might want to consider renting a finishing reamer and converting it to .22 K Hornet. Biggest benefit is increased case life for reloaders, plus a slight increase in velocity. I have a the same rifle in .270 Win and .357 Magnum. I'm in the process of converting the .357 to .357 Rem Max, and have already done the graybeards trigger job. Well worth the time if you are good with your hands. My .270 barrel puts 5 rounds in 1/2 in at 100yds, and it's not even a challenge. Love it.
Old September 23, 2012, 11:39 PM   #9
scottd913

cool thank you fine people please keep the information coming this is just what i am looking for.
any more opinions on the price ranges?
thx
Scott
PS. i am very good with my hands and over loaded with tools
and thanks to the wonderfully informed people i have found here on IMO the best forum on the INTERNET i have learned a wealth of knowledge and have been able to modify a shotgun,my Russian sks and done some gun smithing on a few of my pistols and btw they all shoot much better!!

Last edited by scottd913; September 23, 2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old September 24, 2012, 12:35 AM   #10
TripHlx

If it's in excellent condition, 250 isn't a horrible price. I would be looking closer to 200, but it doesn't seem like he is trying to cheat you or anything.