The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 7, 2012, 09:24 PM   #1
PunchinPaper

More than one way to skin a rabbit?

So I went coyote hunting the other night called in a couple, then the wind or my hunting buddy gave them second thoughts about trotting those last few yards. So we ended up doing a little cotton tail hunting instead. I hit one with a 55gr Fed Seirra Gameking at 65yrds from a standing position. Needless to say he ended up yote bait. I was using a red dot sight and put the dot on his head , I must have pulled a tad bit right. When I went to retrieve my stew meat ,I found my bullet had already gutted him for me.
I had a question in the reloading forum about the use of 125gr 30-06 bullets for coyotes and I was warned that it makes a mess of them. I imagine this experience is about the equivalent. Lesson learned no more rabbit hunting with 223 for me. If I was using FMJs I suppose I may have had a edible rabbit then again IDK...
Old February 7, 2012, 11:44 PM   #2
langenc

If it was gutted that may not been all bad. All you need is the rear legs and the tenderloin area up to where the ribs start. Front is not much good except for bait.
Old February 8, 2012, 02:30 AM   #3
PoorRichRichard

Don't know the laws in your state, but can you hunt with a sidearm? If so, think about bringing out one of those long barreled .22 pistols that have a bipod attached? Just a thought off the top of my head... It always irritates the crap outta me when I blast the holy hell outta my game meat. Did it twice this season shooting a rabbit and then a quail at less than 10 yards with my 12 gauge... Live 'n learn I guess
Old February 8, 2012, 11:04 AM   #4
rickyrick

I had a possum in the coon trap one day, all I had with me was .223. It butterflyed him from end to end. I don't like making animals into gore piles but it happens at times.

i definately brought 'enough gun' that day.
Old February 9, 2012, 01:09 AM   #5
PunchinPaper

I had a side arm but I was expecting hogs and brought the 44.
But yeah next time it'll be a 22.
My luck I'll see pigs galore and no rabbits..l
This was a first time 223 Vs rabbit for me..
I chaulked it up as a learning experience.
That lil HPBT from Federal sure did surprise me with it explosiveness.
It's a nice round for yotes too.
Old February 9, 2012, 03:04 PM   #6
PoorRichRichard

Also, if you are hunting with a buddy, diversify you sidearm selection- one of you carry the 22 for wabbits, and the other the 44 for hogs.
Old February 12, 2012, 10:18 AM   #7
Deja vu

I have killed many rabbits with a 357 magnum. It is too much gun if you want to keep them (a 223 is in the same boat). The 180 grain bullets save more meat than the 125 grain expanding. I feel that the back legs are the only part worth eating unless it is farm raised.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old February 13, 2012, 12:20 AM   #8
samsmix

I used to bum around in the woods wearing a .44mag Super Blackhawk in a western style rig. On the left side or immediately aft my .44, it was no trick to hang my Rossi M-511 sportsman (basically a stainless, 3" adjustable sighted J-.22) on the same rig. Popped a LOT of cottontails with that gun.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old February 21, 2012, 09:12 PM   #9
g20gunny

If you reload you might look into loading subsonic fmj rounds just for bunny backup the 223 at 1020 fps is perfect for rabbits or squirrels and you dont have to bring a second rifle. also if your using an AR a .22 conversion can be had for ~$200.
Old February 22, 2012, 08:07 PM   #10
Shotgun693

If I'm hunting with a deer rifle then I carry a small caliber revolver.
If I'm hunting with a large caliber revolver then I load the last two chambers with lighter loaded lead bullets.
If I'm hunting with a shotgun, bird or squirrel, then that works fine for a rabbit too.
If I'm hunting rabbit, usually with a .22, I always carry a large caliber revolver just in case.
We had a cotton tail eating our Spring garden this pass week. Thanks to my Son and my Ruger 10/22 we will now eat the cotton tail.