The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 26, 2011, 12:47 PM   #26
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooch
Aren't your descriptions exactly what I described as well?
No, your description included a catch which prevented the actual transfer and ownership of the powder to the pre-paid purchaser.

That catch makes it appear that a pre-pay arrangement to split powder is somehow illegal or you wouldn't have developed the catch.

In fact, the catch is unnecessary since a pre-pay arrangement to split powder is not illegal.
IIRC there was an ATF opinion that indicated such, possibly on another forum.

If given a choice, no one would want to participate in a pre-paid powder buy that included such a restrictive catch as that.
Some clubs have a powder license to supply their members with powder at a small profit.
And other clubs have an FFL to supply their members with guns at a small profit.

Last edited by arcticap; May 26, 2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old May 26, 2011, 04:22 PM   #27
Scooch

I see. As I have reviewed the ATF policies, it appeared that transfer to others could only be done as a sale at the time of transfer and by a licensed dealer. The policy is very sensitive to who buys it and what their intention is for its use. However, and as you and others have pointed out, a pre-pay agreement is OK. In my original statement, the (discovered unnecessary) catch was based on the need to keep the possession of the powder to a single individual to avoid the ownership transfer to another without the proper licensing. It would be no different than having your friends chip in on a keg of beer that you'd all drink together, provided each gets a rationed amount based on their contribution.

As I had said before, it's seems like more hassle than it's worth.

And just for the record, friends don't pay for beer at my house.
Old May 27, 2011, 02:47 AM   #28
arcticap

I know what you mean.
Old May 27, 2011, 06:17 AM   #29
mykeal

Arcticap - Thanks for the clarification.

Scooch and Arcticap - I don't see the hassle you refer to. Pay the guy, pick up your powder. The only difference between that and a retail buy is that you pay in advance. Kind of like what you do when you order something from a catalog or internet site. What's the 'hassle'?
Old May 27, 2011, 12:48 PM   #30
Scooch

Articap, I think I over complicated it in the interest of keeping it more legal than just legal or barely legal for that matter.