The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 7, 2010, 03:07 PM   #1
camoden

Redoing an old military gun stock. Ideas?

Hello I’ve bought this old military VZ 52 rifle a few weeks ago now and it is in desperate need for a face lift. The stock is very solid just very poor looking so I was looking for some ideas on what would be a smart way to refinish it so it looks like new.

I haven’t done anything to it yet, so anyone with more wisdom then me feel free on giving me ideas on how you would sand it down, clean it up, and then stain it. Thanks
Old March 7, 2010, 04:52 PM   #2
Bud Helms

I'm wondering if the C&R forum might not have some guys that routinely have this same thing to do.

Let's go there and give it a whirl.
Old March 7, 2010, 05:11 PM   #3
Cheapshooter

http://milsurpshooter.net/
Lots of info on restoring military arms.
Old March 7, 2010, 05:24 PM   #4
benogil

You might also try surplusrifle.com's " Stock care and replacement " section. Some of the pictured work is outstanding.
Old March 7, 2010, 06:41 PM   #5
Chris_B

You want to try gentle cleaning first, and get more aggressive as each gentler method fails to yield the results you're looking for. The question is: what are you looking for? The finish of the stock when new? A high-gloss show-off finish?

How about a photo of the stock in question?
Old March 7, 2010, 08:44 PM   #6
the rifleer

agreed, posting this in the C&R forum wasn't the best idea because most military surplus collectors prefer the rifle in their original condition, regardless of the condition. I agree and think that it should be left alone unless its really bad and the metal is in great shape. even then, go for whatever the original finish was and do as little as possible to it.

a good idea would be to get a different stock that you could put on there and make it look like what ever you want it to look like, but save the original so that you can return it to original condition if you want to.
Old March 8, 2010, 01:11 AM   #7
Buzzcook

Strip it down, sand it, and then start rubbing in the tung oil. Repeat as needed.

Personally I just use that spray on poly stuff. But that's not the look you want for an old surplus gun.
Old March 8, 2010, 09:09 AM   #8
madcratebuilder

Your VZ more than likely has BLO for a finish. If you want to keep an original look mix up a 50/50 BLO and turpentine mix. Use some 0000 steel wool and use the 50/50 mix as a cleaner. When you have the stock scrubbed good, wipe it down and let it dry for a day, then use straight BLO. Put the BLO on thick, let it stand for 20-30 minutes then wipe it down and allow 24hrs for drying between coats. Four to six coats well have it looking as nice as it left the factory.

If your after the commercial shinny smooth look then you need to sand it down and use Tung oil or tru oil, something along that line. That finish well destroy any collectible value but can be very nice looking.
Old March 8, 2010, 01:11 PM   #9
camoden

This is all great help. Thanks everyone, but I’m not too concerned about keeping it original because I’m sure the gun isn’t worth a lot but I do really like everyone’s ideas
Old March 9, 2010, 10:20 PM   #10
Huffmanite

Suggest you attempt to clean stock using mineral spirits with either a scotchbrite pad (fine) or steel wool. Then sand lightly with maybe a 150 grit paper, avoiding any cartouches or stamping in wood. If the sandpaper quickly gums up, then you may want to use a critrus type stripper on the wood. For a finish, I'm not a big proponent of BLO. I prefer to use a Danish Oil or Antique oil finish, which are BLO based products with dryers and fortifiers. Brush either on, then use a 300 to 400 grit wet sandpaper to sand wood (with grain) while wet and then wipe off excess, again wiping with grain.