The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 17, 2009, 11:48 AM   #1
StainlessButcher

Load info for .41 LC

OK, I know, I'm being a pest, but I can't help it...I'm hyped about learning about reloading. I've looked at some of the recent reloading handbooks that list loads/powders/bullet combos and none I've found show any listings for the .41 Long Colt. I read a couple of articles by different folks about loading them, but I'd really like to see what is "officially" out there for myself. Does anyone know where I might find that information or perhaps have an old reloading handbook that has the information that they might be willing to part with? Thanks in advance!

Butch.
Old December 17, 2009, 12:38 PM   #2
Jim Watson

The only thing I have "official" is Phil Sharpe's book going back before WW II. The only powder he shows that is still available is Bullseye, 3.3 grains with the factory hollowbase 195 grain bullet, 3.0 with the similar but deeper seating 195 grain Lyman. My other manuals from 1967 on have nothing on the old gun.

Some of the modern writers studying the old gun are likely to have more information, so pay attention to those articles.