The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 3, 2009, 09:15 PM   #1
surg_res

How do you secure a handgun in your vehicle?

Lets talk about how you secure a firearm in your vehicle. I occasionally travel with a handgun in my truck, however, I'm always nervous to leave it there--for fear that with a break-in, it could get snatched quite easily despite being concealed. I'd like to have a more permanent arrangement for a handgun in my truck...

At home I have multiple quick-access, bolt-down handgun safes distributed about my place. These boxes keep handguns on the ready but are also quite secured from the children, etc. Do you know of any similar quick-access bolt-down safes made for vehicles? I imagine they would have to be fairly compact or slim to work between seats, etc.
Old July 3, 2009, 09:25 PM   #2
KCabbage

Check this out http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=434716
If you shop around you can probably find it cheaper.
Old July 3, 2009, 10:07 PM   #3
fastforty

Two cable locks. One stays locked around the seat post. The other gets dropped through the open action, then locked through the first one. The whole affair gets flipped under the seat.
Old July 3, 2009, 10:14 PM   #4
ZeSpectre

A lockbox, painted to resemble a safety kit, and bolted in place where the original factory first aid kit was supposed to go (not included in my trim package...of course).

I refer to it as "urban camouflage" and only one person (another gunnie) has ever even noticed that my "first aid kit" has a keylock.

Old July 3, 2009, 11:04 PM   #5
Deaf Smith

I put a 'do not touch' sign on mine.

Is like the 'gun free' sign schools use and just about as effective. See, 10,000 school administrators can't all be wrong, right?
Old July 3, 2009, 11:12 PM   #6
rantingredneck

Quote:
Here are a couple of lockboxes I use:

Stackon brand, sells for about 50-60 bucks at Dick's or Gander Mountain or the like:

Pro's: Very solid construction with heavy duty locking bolts. Small and easy to hide.

Con's: So small that maneuvering a handgun in or out is tricky if it's a full size revolver or automatic. 4" GP100 or Ruger P-Series size gun is maxing it out. (3" SP101 pictured in safe).

Honeywell model that Walmart sells for about 30 bucks:

Pro's: Good size. Can get guns in and out quickly without banging up fingers or guns. Will easily accomodate truck gun +2 extra mags and allows me to place a layer of foam over the top so I can secure my carry gun when I'm going into NPE's.

Con's: Lock is not nearly as sturdy as the above Stack On model. One bolt only and it's not of the same quality. Hopefully it's enough to discourage or slow down the typical smash and grab guy.
I posted the above in a thread on securing in the home earlier today, but it applies to vehicles as well.

I'm presently using the lower setup in my truck (2001 Dodge Ram extended cab). I can key the code and retrieve the gun from seated in the driver's seat. I currently keep a P97 (pictured) and 2 mags in there pretty much full time. If I'm going somewhere that my carry gun can't go it goes in on top of that other section of foam. I've got it bolted securely through the floorboard of the truck. Only thing I'm not real happy with is the lock itself. It's not as sturdy as my others and I actually have another Stack On model (like the one pictured above) that I'm thinking about switching out for the Honeywell. I'd likely have to give up the full time truck gun though. Both won't fit.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old July 4, 2009, 05:36 AM   #7
surg_res

ZeSpectre,
I love the creativity! That first-aid kit is brilliant... As for the security, having quick access would be ideal for me. To have to secure or unsecure a firearm (i.e. cables and keylocks) everytime you travel could get old--not to mention the potential vulnerability when parking, etc.
There are a coulple of top-load electronic safes similar to the ones posted by redneck and cabbage, but I can't figure out how I could mount those to the vehicle, without them 'sticking out' or just being in the way. I might need to be a bit more creative. Thanks for the ideas!

Last edited by surg_res; July 5, 2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old July 4, 2009, 08:40 AM   #8
KCabbage

Great idea on the "first aid box" Ze I will tell you that that particular box isn't that safe if you have older children. I lost my keys one time and all I had to do is remove the long pin in the exterior hinge to get inside. I also picked the lock on a couple of occasions and i'm no lockpicker.

Surg - did I post a electronic safe? I could of swore i posted a link to an extremely thin keyed lock box.
Old July 5, 2009, 05:52 AM   #9
surg_res

No it wasn't electronic, but I found the following near your link...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=397660

I like the key safe you showed, b/c of the thin size; however, I"m just thinking of a quick access device that doesn't require unlocking everytime you ride in the car. I have very young <3 kids and I keep everything ready but out of their 'reach,' so to speak, with the electronic safes.

Thanks for the tips.

As for weapons, I'd like to carry my 4" S&W 686 in the truck--for reasons of functional simplicity, power, and accuracy; though, my other options would be a 2" 38spcl, one of my colt 1911s (4" or 5"), or a colt 380 gvmnt... What do you guys think?

Last edited by surg_res; July 5, 2009 at 06:00 AM.
Old July 5, 2009, 07:39 AM   #10
KCabbage

I hear ya' on the electronic aspect. I used to have a keyed lock on my bedroom closet where I keep my clothes and some guns on the highest shelf. I really didn't like the lock due to having to have a key handy and because it was pretty slow to unlock. A few weeks ago I caught my 6 year old daughter trying to reach the key that was hanging above the door and that was the end of that!

I did some searching and bought a cool little electronic cabinet lock that's very fast(light or dark) and very secure, I love that thing! Only bad thing about it is that when it's dark the little blue light that lights up when you enter a number is blinding so I cover it or close my eyes.
http://www.lock-depot.com/Item/Cabin...4Pa38Ta38Oax10

In regards to your firearm choice...Is this a weapon that will always stay in your vehicle? If so forget the 2" snub and use something large like the 686 or 1911(not .380)
Old July 5, 2009, 07:57 AM   #11
Playboypenguin

Old July 5, 2009, 09:11 PM   #12
surg_res

PBP, is that box spring-loaded on opening?
Old July 5, 2009, 09:12 PM   #13
rantingredneck

No. It's the same one I have in my bedroom closet and it is not. You actually have to lift up on the door.

Old July 6, 2009, 02:03 AM   #14
spikespeigel

I just drop mine in the little door pocket beneathe the arm rest on the drivers side door. Can't see it from the drivers side window because of the arm rest and the angle and you can't see it from the passenger side because of my leg. It works, it's readily accessible and required no modification because my 1911 sticks out for a perfect grip... And then there's the 2 full magazines in the center cup holders for when the zombies try to take over the truck
Old July 6, 2009, 07:14 AM   #15
ZeSpectre

Quote:
ZeSpectre,
I love the creativity! That first-aid kit is brilliant... As for the security, having quick access would be ideal for me. To have to secure or unsecure a firearm (i.e. cables and keylocks) everytime you travel could get old--not to mention the potential vulnerability when parking, etc.
There are a coulple of top-load electronic safes similar to the ones posted by redneck and cabbage, but I can't figure out how I could mount those to the vehicle, without them 'sticking out' or just being in the way. I might need to be a bit more creative. Thanks for the ideas!
Well, certainly not a solution for everyone but in my case that box is simply for "drop off" storage. My firearm stays on my person unless I have no other choice but for those rare times when I have to secure it in the vehicle that lock box is not top notch, but certainly better than any of the other compartments in a Jeep <grin>.
Old July 6, 2009, 07:18 AM   #16
Dingoboyx

all good

Go the little safe.... best idea (and a car alarm/immobiliser)
Old July 6, 2009, 07:31 AM   #17
rantingredneck

Quote:
I just drop mine in the little door pocket beneathe the arm rest on the drivers side door. Can't see it from the drivers side window because of the arm rest and the angle and you can't see it from the passenger side because of my leg. It works, it's readily accessible and required no modification because my 1911 sticks out for a perfect grip... And then there's the 2 full magazines in the center cup holders for when the zombies try to take over the truck
That's all well and good when you're in the vehicle, but when you aren't and the gun is what do you do?

Old July 6, 2009, 11:42 AM   #18
doc540

inexpensive handgun: rear seat map pocket

I secure mine with the factory locking system and an aftermarket alarm.
Old July 6, 2009, 02:05 PM   #19
NightSight

Try this place. I've had my eye on this for a while.

http://www.consolevault.us/
Old July 6, 2009, 06:58 PM   #20
nazshooter

I'm looking for a solution too. I used to have a fairly heavy duty lockable box that was big enough for two pistols and some ammo but my Explorer just doesn't have any good place to hide such a thing and it looked too much like a juicy target to me. Sure it was bolted down but a burglar wouldn't know that until after breaking my windows. I guess I may try some variation on ZeSpectre's idea.

FWIW:

When I was in Home Depot the other day I saw a "tool box alarm". Obviously that's not a solution by itself but it could add an extra layer of security to some other solution.
Old July 7, 2009, 02:30 AM   #21
spikespeigel

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's all well and good when you're in the vehicle, but when you aren't and the gun is what do you do?
Ah yes... I see now. Fortuantely, the only time it's not on me is when I'm on base. Not too many car break-in's on base so I just put it under the seat.
Old July 7, 2009, 08:57 AM   #22
ZeSpectre

Quote:
Not too many car break-in's on base so I just put it under the seat
Wow, that sure hasn't been my experience. The three vehicle break-in/thefts I've experienced were all army bases!
Old July 7, 2009, 09:02 AM   #23
armsmaster270

The weak point on the small digital safes is the key lock override they are easy to defeat.
Old July 7, 2009, 09:08 AM   #24
rantingredneck

True, no system is perfect. The best you can hope for is to extend the time the thief would have to spend working at it, thereby extending his exposure and risk of being caught.

Somebody shows up at your vehicle with drills, prybars, etc. and has plenty of time to work at it, they're gonna get what they came for.

Old July 7, 2009, 11:18 AM   #25
MortalWombat

Quote:
The weak point on the small digital safes is the key lock override they are easy to defeat.
If you are sure you are diligent about keeping the batteries up to date and sure you will never forget the combination, you can put some JB weld or superglue in the key lock to disable it. Or at the very least, superglue the plastic cover that hides the key lock around the inside edge of the plastic cover (taking care not to get it in the lock), so that if you need to, you can get to the key lock with some tools and some time, while still making it a little more difficult for a casual thief (or curious teenager trying to test his lock picking skills) to get to.

The second method I actually used on this safe that I bought for my house for $300, because the key lock was the barrel kind, and I found I could use the ballpoint pen method to pick it pretty easily. My main concern wasn't a determined thief with time on his hands, but a smash and grab thief, or curious teenager with access to the internet (I have a 17 year old son who often has friends over. I trust my son, but I can't always control what other people's kids do).

Last edited by MortalWombat; July 7, 2009 at 11:34 AM.